Does seasonality drive spatial patterns in demography? Variation in survival in African reed warblers Acrocephalus baeticatus across southern Africa does not reflect global patterns
Version of Record online: 23 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 7, pages 889–898, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(7):889–898
- Issue online: 7 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 23 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 17 DEC 2013
- National Research Foundation of South Africa. Grant Number: 85802
- 1993. Bird migration. Press Syndicate of the Univ. of Cambridge, Cambridge, U.K.
- 1982. Bird migration and reproduction in relation to habitats for survival and breeding. Ornis Scand. 13:25–27. , and .
- 1997. Southern African geography: its relevance to birds. Pp. lxv–ci in J. A. Harrison, D. G. Allan, L. G. Underhill, M. Herremans, A. J. Tree, V. Parker, and C. J. Brown, eds. The atlas of southern African birds. Vol. 1: Non-passerines. BirdLife South Africa, Johannesburg. , , , , and .
- 1963. The regulation of numbers of oceanic tropical birds. Ibis 103:458–473.
- 2009. Understanding changes in bird populations – the role of birdmarking. Ringing Migr. 24:189–198. , and .
- 2001. SAFRING bird ringing manual. ADU guide 5. Avian Demography Unit, Univ. of Cape Town, Cape Town. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Estimates of apparent survival rate for forest birds in eastern Ecuador. Biotropica 40:485–493. , and .
- 1995. Demography of birds in a neotropical forest: effects of allometry, taxonomy and ecology. Ecology 76:41–51. , , and .
- 1999. Demography of forest birds in Panama: How do transients affect estimates of survival rates? Pp. 297–305 in N. J. S. Adams, and R. H. Slotow, eds. Proceedings of the 22nd International ornithological Congress, Durban, South Africa, August 1998. Birdlife South Africa, Johannesburg. , , , and .
- 1998. General methods for monitoring convergence of iterative simulation. J. Comput. Graph. Stat. 7:434–455. , and .
- 1987. Estimating bird survival rates from organized mist-netting Programmes. Acta Ornithol. 23:89–100. , and .
- 2009. U-CARE: Utilities for performing goodness of fit tests and manipulating CApture-REcapture data. Ecography 32:1071–1074. , , , , and .
- 2011. Demografische gegevens uit vogelring data. Vogeltrekstation rapport 2011-01. Vogeltrekstation, Wageningen. , , and .
- 2005. African Reed Warbler. Pp. 797–798 in P. A. R Hockey, W. R. J. Dean, and P. G. Ryan, eds. Roberts – birds of Southern Africa, VIIth edition. The Trustees of the John Voelcker Bird Book Fund, Cape Town. .
- 2001. Trade-offs between reproduction and survival in tits. Ardea 89:155–166.
- 1990. Brood size manipulations in the Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus): effects on offspring and parent survival. J. Anim. Ecol. 59:269–285. , , , , , and .
- 1990. Survival rates and their relationship to life-history traits in some common British birds. Pp. 115–146 in D. M. Power, ed. Current ornithology, Volume 7. Plenum Press, New York. .
- 2008. National geographic field guide to the birds of North America. National Geographic Society, Washington, DC. , and .
- 2001. Islands in a desert: breeding ecology of the African Reed Warbler Acrocephalus baeticatus in Namibia. Ibis 143:482–493. , , , and .
- 2005. Life-history variation of a neotropical thrush challenges food limitation theory. Proceed. Royal Soc. B 272:769–773. , , and .
- 2013. How consistent are trait data between sources? A quantitative assessment. Oikos 122:1350–1356.
- 1999. Survival rates of understorey forest birds in Peru. Pp. 297–305 in N. J. S. Adams, and R. H. Slotow, eds. Proceedings of the 22nd International ornithological Congress, Durban, South Africa, August 1998. Birdlife South Africa, Johannesburg. , , and .
- 2005. Inter-population variation in demographic parameters: a neglected subject? Oikos 111:209–214. , , and .
- 2009. Multilocus phylogeny of the family Acrocephalidae – the traditional taxonomy overthrown. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 52:866–878. , , , and .
- 2012. Pitfalls in comparisons of genetic distances: a case study of the avian family Acrocephalidae. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 62:319–328. , , , and .
- 1970. Life historical consequences of natural selection. Am. Nat. 104:1–24. , and .
- 2001. Fecundity-survival trade-offs and parental risk-taking in birds. Science 292:494–497. , and .
- 2007. State-space modelling of data on marked individuals. Ecol. Model. 206:431–438. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The influence of parental behavior on vulnerability to nest predation in tropical thrushes of an Andean cloud forest. J. Avian Biol. 40:658–661. , and .
- 2008. Climate change affects breeding of reed warblers Acrocephalus scirpaceus. J. Avian Biol. 39:95–100. , , and .
- 1997) African Marsh Warbler. The Atlas of Southern African Birds. Vol. 2. Pp. 234–235. in J. A. Harrison, D. G. Allen, L. G. Underhill, M. L. J. Herremans, A. J. Tree, V. Parker, and C. J. Brow, eds. BirdLife South Africa, Johannesburg. . (
- 1999. Molecular phylogeny of Palearctic-African Acrocephalus and Hippolais Warblers (Aves: Sylviidae). Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 11:246–260. , and .
- 2005. Eurasian Reed Warbler. Pp. 796–797. in P. A. R Hockey, W. R. J. Dean, and P. G. Ryan, eds. Roberts – Birds of Southern Africa, VIIth edition. The Trustees of the John Voelcker Bird Book Fund, Cape Town. .
- 1998. Survival of Reed Warbler Acrocephalus scirpaceus clutches in relation to nest position. Bird Study 45:104–108. , , , and .
- 1997. Survival rates of tropical and temperate passerines: a Trinidadian perspective. Am. Nat. 150:771–789. , , , and .
- 1990. Survival rates of birds of tropical and temperate forests: will the dogma survive? Am. Nat. 136:277–291. , , , and .
- 2010. Reed and bush warblers. Christopher Helm, London. , and .
- 2012. Bayesian population analysis using WinBUGS – a hierarchical perspective. Academic Press, New York. , and .
- 2013. RAS project summary 1999–2012. RAS News 13:4–7. , and . (eds)
- 2010. Bayesian analysis for population ecology. Chapman & Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, FL. , , , and .
- 1947. The significance of clutch-size. I. Intraspecific variations. Ibis 89:302–352.
- 1968. Ecological adaptations for breeding in birds. Methuen & Co LTD, London.
- 1992. Modeling survival and testing biological hypotheses using marked animals: a unified approach with case studies. Ecol. Monogr. 62:67–118. , , , and .
- 2011. The reed warblers. Diversity in a uniform bird family. KNNV Publishing, Zeist. , and .
- 1996. Life history evolution in tropical and South Temperate Birds: what do we really know? J. Avian Biol. 27:263–272.
- 2004. Avian life-history evolution has an eminent past: does it have a bright future? Auk 121:289–301.
- 2008. A theoretical investigation of the effect of latitude on avian life histories. Am. Nat. 172:331–334. , , , and .
- 2003. Atlas of Namibia. David Philip Publishers, Cape Town. , , , and .
- 1944. Clutch-size: a comparative study, with special reference to African birds. Ibis 86:286–347.
- 2006) The vegetation of South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland. Strelitzia 19. South African National Biodiversity Institute, Pretoria. , and . (eds) (
- 2012) South African National Biodiversity Assessment 2011: Technical Report. Volume 2: Freshwater component. CSIR Report Number CSIR/NRE/ECO/IR/2012/0022/A, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Stellenbosch. , and . (
- 2004. Population limitations in migrants. Ibis 146:197–226.
- 2006. Can conditions experienced during migration limit the population levels of birds? J. Ornithol. 147:146–166.
- 1990. Estimating survival rates using mark-recapture data from multiple ringing sites. Ring 13:87–102. , , and .
- 2001. Do southern African songbirds live longer than their European counterparts? Oikos 93:235–249. , , and .
- 2003. JAGS: A Program for Analysis of Bayesian Graphical Models Using Gibbs Sampling. Pp. 20–22. in K. Hornik, F. Leisch, and A. Zeileis, eds. Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Distributed Statistical Computing. Vienna, Austria. .
- 1997. Capture-recapture survival models taking account of transients. Biometrics 53:60–72. , , , and .
- 1980. Geographical variation in clutch size among passerine birds: Ashmole's hypothesis. Auk 97:38–49.
- 1997. Comparative demography of new world populations of thrushes (Turdus spp.). Ecol. Monogr. 67:23–43.
- 2000. Density dependence, evolutionary optimization, and the diversification of avian life histories. The Condor 109:9–22.
- 2007. Estimating annual adult survival in sexually dimorphic species from proportions of first-year birds in museum collections. Ecology 88:1408–1419. , and .
- 2011. Annual adult survival in several new world passerine birds based on age ratios in museum collections. J. Ornithol. 152:481–495. , , and .
- 2013. Evolutionary routes to non-kin cooperative breeding in birds. Proceed. Royal Soc. B, 280, 20132245. doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2013.2245. .
- 2013. Day length, reproductive effort, and the latitudinal clutch size gradient. Ecology 94:1327–1337. , and .
- 1991. Demography of passerines in the temperate southern hemisphere Pp. 22–44. in C. M. Perrins, J.-D. Lebreton, G. J. M. Hirons. Bird population studies: relevance to conservation and management. Oxford Univ. Press, New York. , and .
- 2000. Survival rates of a Neotropical parrot: implications for latitudinal comparisons of avian demography. Ecology 81:1351–1370. , , , , and .
- 2012. Spatial modelling of survival and residency and application to the monitoring avian productivity and survivorship program. J. Ornithol. 152:S469–S476. , , , and .
- 2004. Life-history of two African Sylvia warblers: low annual fecundity and long post-fledging care. Ibis 146:427–437. , , , and .
- 1996. Breeding success and reproductive strategies of two Acrocephalus warblers. J. Ornithol. 137: 181–192. , , and .
- 1985. British warblers. Collins, London.
- 2009. Complete photographic field guide Birds of Southern Africa. Struik, Cape Town. , and .
- 1949. Do tropical birds rear as many young as they can nourish? Ibis 91:430–455.
- 1985. Clutch size, nesting success, and predation on nests of neotropical birds, reviewed. Ornithol. Monog. 36:575–594.
- 2013. Survival rates in West African savanna birds. Ostrich: J. Afric. Ornithol., 84, 11–25. , , , , and .
- 2007. Host density predicts presence of cuckoo parasitism in reed warblers. Oikos 116:913–922. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. A package for running jags from R, R package version 0.03-08. Available at http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=R2jags. , and .
- 2010. The post-fledging period in a tropical bird: patterns of parental care and survival. J. Avian Biol. 41:479–487. , and .
- 2006. Survival rates of adult Reed Warblers Acrocephalus scirpaceus at a northern and southern site in England. Ringing Migr. 23:65–79. , , and .
- 1997. The Birds of Africa Vol. 5. Academic Press, London. , , and .
- 2009. Strategic variation in mobbing as a front line of defense against Brood Parasitism. Curr. Biol. 19:235–240. , and .
- 1992. The survival rate of Australian passerines. Ibis 234:374–379. , , and .
- 1994. Clutch size in passerines of southern South America. Condor 96:170–177. , , and .
- 1994. Geographic and seasonal patterns of clutch-size variation in House Wrens. Auk 111:545–555.