Applications of hidden hybrid Markov/semi-Markov models: from stopover duration to breeding success dynamics
Article first published online: 20 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 6, pages 817–826, March 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(6):817–826
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 20 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 12 DEC 2013
- Montpellier sud de France University
- 1987. Factor analysis and AIC. Psychometrika 52: 317–332.
- 2007. Interannual variations in feeding frequencies and food quality of greater flamingo chicks (phoenicopterus roseus): evidence from plasma chemistry and effects on body condition. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Physiol. 147:569–576. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Co-ordinated food provisioning in the little shearwater Puffinus assimilis haurakiensis: a previously undescribed foraging strategy in the procellariidae. Ibis 142: 144–146. , , , and .
- 2005. Timing and causes of mortality in the endangered vancouver island marmot (Marmota vancouverensis). Can. J. Zool. 83: 674–682. , and .
- 2010. Markov and semi-Markov switching linear mixed models used to identify forest tree growth components. Biometrics 66: 753–762. , , , and .
- 2009. Program E-SURGE: A software application for fitting multievent models. Pp. 845–865. in D. L. Thomson, E. G. Cooch and M. J. Conroy, eds. Modeling demographic processes in marked populations, volume 3 of Springer series: environmental and ecological statistics environmental and ecological statistics. Springer, New York. , , and .
- 2011. A semi-Markov model to assess reliably survival patterns from birth to death in free-ranging populations. Methods Ecol. Evol. 2: 383–389. , , , , and .
- 2013a. Estimating transitions between states using measurements with imperfect detection: application to serological data. Ecology 94: 2160–2165. , , , and .
- 2013b. Estimating stop over duration in presence of trap-effects. Ecol. Modell. 250: 111–118. , , , , and .
- 2012. Bayesian inference on age-specific survival for censored and truncated data. J. Anim. Ecol. 81: 139–149. , and .
- 1983. Numerical methods for unconstrained optimization and nonlinear equations. Classics in applied mathematics. SIAM, Englewood Cliffs. , and .
- 2013. When the seasons don't fit: Speedy molt as a routine carry-over cost of reproduction. PLoS ONE 8: e53890. , , and .
- 2009. Cubic splines for estimating the distribution of residence time using individual resightings data. Pp. 393–415. in D. L. Thomson, E. G. Cooch and M. J. Conroy, eds. Modeling demographic processes in marked populations, Vol. 3. Springer, New York. , and .
- 1999. Computational methods for discrete hidden semi-Markov chains. Appl. Stoch. Model. Bus. 15: 195–224.
- 2003. Estimating hidden semi-Markov chains from discrete sequences. J. Comput. Graph. Stat. 12: 604–639.
- 2005. Hidden hybrid Markov/semi-Markov chains. Comput. Stat. Data Anal. 49: 663–688.
- 2010. Fitness costs of reproduction depend on life speed: empirical evidence from mammalian populations. Ecol. Lett. 13: 915–935. , , , , , and .
- 2007. The Greater Flamingo. T. and A. D. Poyser, London. , and .
- 1995. Modeling and analysis of stochastic systems. Chapman and Hall, London.
- 2011. Hidden Markov models with arbitrary state dwell-time distributions. Comput. Stat. Data Anal. 55: 715–724. , and .
- 1992. Modeling survival and testing biological hypotheses using marked animals: A unified approach with case studies. Ecol. Monogr. 62: 67–118. , , , and
- 2005. Modeling association among demographic parameters in analysis of open population capture–recapture data. Biometrics 61: 46–54. , and .
- 2012. Modelling state uncertainty with photo series data for the estimation of breeding success in a cliff-nesting seabird. J. Ornithol. 152: 477–483. , , and .
- 2013. Estimating age-specific survival when age is unknown: open population capture–recapture models with age structure and heterogeneity. Methods Ecol. Evol. 4: 654–664. , , , , and .
- 2011. Hidden semi-Markov models for multiple observation sequences: The mhsmm package for R. J. Stat. Softw. 39: 1–22. , and .
- 2011. Combining cattle activity and progesterone measurements using hidden semi-Markov models. J. Agric. Biol. Environ. Stat. 16: 1–16. , , , , and .
- 1970. R-selection and k-selection. Am. Nat. 104: 592–597.
- 2009. Stopover duration analysis with departure probability dependent on unknown time since arrival. Pp. 349–363 in D. L. Thomson, E. G. Cooch and M. J. Conroy, eds. Modeling demographic processes in marked populations, volume 3 of Springer series: environmental and ecological statistics. Springer, New York. , , , and .
- 1996. Utilization of capture-mark-recapture for the study of recruitment and population growth rate. Biometrics 52: 703–709.
- 2009. The stakes of capture–recapture models with state uncertainty. Pp. 781–795 in D. L. Thomson, E. G. Cooch and M. J. Conroy, eds. Modeling demographic processes in marked populations, volume 3 of Springer series: environmental and ecological statistics. Springer, New York.
- 2004. Life-history variation predicts the effects of demographic stochasticity on avian population dynamics. Am. Nat. 164: 793–802. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Using multistate recapture modelling to assess age-specific bottlenecks in breeding success: a case study in the greater flamingo Phoenicopterus roseus. J. Avian Biol. 42: 1–9. , , and .
- 2012. Forecasting seasonal outbreaks of influenza. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 109: 20425–20430. and .
- 1979. On the dynamics of vegetation: Markov chains as models of succession. Vegetatio 40: 3–14.
- 2010. A primer on the application of Markov chains to the study of wildlife disease dynamics. Methods Ecol. Evol. 1: 192–198. , , and .