Life history mediates mate limitation and population viability in self-incompatible plant species
Version of Record online: 13 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 6, pages 673–687, March 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(6):673–687
- Issue online: 18 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 13 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 19 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 23 AUG 2013
- 1991. Genetic and evolutionary consequences of small population size in plants. Pp. 3–30 in D. A. Falk and K. E. Holsinger, eds. Genetics and conservation of rare plants. Oxford Univ. Press, New York, NY. , and .
- 2008. The evolution of self-incompatibility when mates are limiting. Trends Plant Sci. 13:128–136. , and .
- 1992. Mate availability in small populations of plant species with homomorphic sporophytic self-incompatibility. Heredity 68:353–359. , and .
- 2009. Antagonism between local dispersal and self-incompatibility systems in a continuous plant population. Mol. Ecol. 18:2327–2336.
- 2004. Plant self-incompatibility in natural populations: a critical assessment of recent theoretical and empirical advances. Mol. Ecol. 13:2873–2889. , and .
- 1999. Population structure delineated with microsatellite markers in fragmented populations of a tropical tree, Carapa guianensis (Meliaceae). Mol. Ecol. 8:1585–1592. , , , and .
- 1999. Comparative study of genetic variation and differentiation of two pedunculate oak (Quercus robur) stands using microsatellite and allozyme loci. Heredity 83:597–803. , , and .
- 1993. Relationship of breeding system to rarity in the Lakeside Daisy (Hymenoxys acaulis var. glabra). Conserv. Biol. 7:542–550.
- 2009. The evolution and diversification of S-locus haplotypes in the Brassicaceae family. Genetics 181:977–984. , , and .
- 1939. A preliminary survey of the Oenothera organensis population. Genetics 24:524–527.
- 2009. Molecular and morphological evidence of natural interspecific hybridization between the uncommon Eucalyptus aggregata and the widespread E. rubida and E. viminalis. Conserv. Genet. 10:1572–9737. , , , and .
- 2003. Low genetic variation reduces cross-compatibility and offspring fitness in populations of a narrow endemic plant with a self-incompatibility system. Conserv. Genet. 4:325–336. , , and .
- 2005. Genetics and extinction. Biol. Conserv. 126:131–140.
- 2002. Conservation genetics. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , , and .
- 2001. Inbreeding depression in small populations of self-incompatible plants. Genetics 159:1217–1229. , , , , and .
- 2008. Consequences of low mate availability in the rare self-incompatible species Brassica insularis. Conserv. Biol. 22:216–221. , , , and .
- 1994. Genetic diversity and mating system in a tropical tree, Carapa guianensis (Meliaceace). Am. J. Bot. 81:1104–1111. , , and .
- 2001. Low neighbourhood size and high interpopulation differentiation in the endangered shrub Grevillea iaspicula McGill. (Proteaceae). Heredity 86:489–496. , and .
- 2008. Integrating population demography, genetics and self-incompatibility in a viability assessment of the Wee Jasper Grevillea (Grevillea iaspicula McGill., Proteaceae). Conserv. Genet. 9:515–529. , , and .
- 2000. Demography and extinction in small populations. Pp. 55–74 in A. G. Young and G. M. Clarke, eds. Genetics, demography and viability of fragmented populations. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2008. Ecological consequences of genetic diversity. Ecol. Lett. 11:609–623. , , , , and .
- 2008. Loss of self-incompatibility and its evolutionary consequences. Int. J. Plant Sci. 169:93–104. , , and .
- 1972. Computer simulation of a sporophytic self-incompatibility breeding system. Aust. J. Biol. Sci. 25:343–349. , , and .
- 1988. Pollination in Dianthus deltoides (Caryophyllaceae): effects of habitat fragmentation on visitation and seed set. Conserv. Biol. 2:359–366.
- 2006. Modelling the dynamics of introduced populations in the narrow-endemic Centaurea corymbosa: a demo-genetic integration. J. Appl. Ecol. 43:1011–1021. , , and .
- 2000. Population genetics of homomorphic self-incompatibility polymorphisms in flowering plants. Ann. Bot. 85:211–220.
- 2010. An experimental study of the S-Allee effect in the self-incompatible plant Biscutella neustriaca. Conserv. Genet. 11:497–508. , , , , , and .
- 1991. Genetic consequences of rarity in Aster furcatus (Asteraceae), a threatened, self-incompatible plant. Evolution 45:1641–1650. , , and .
- 2009. Enhancement of Allee effects in plants due to self-incompatibility alleles. J. Ecol. 97:518–527. , , and .
- 2000. Microsatellite analysis of maternal half-sib families of Quercus robur, pedunculate oak: II. inferring the number of pollen donors from the offspring. Theor. Appl. Genet. 100:858–865. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Population size, genetic variation, and reproductive success in a rapidly declining, self-incompatible perennial (Arnica montana) in The Netherlands. Conserv. Biol. 14:1776–1787. , , , , and .
- 1990. Mutation load and the survival of small populations. Evolution 44:1725–1737. , and .
- 1995. Mutational meltdowns in sexual populations. Evolution 49:1067–1080. , , and .
- 1994. Self-incompatibility: how plants avoid illegitimate offspring. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 91:1992–1997. , , , and .
- 1997. The breeding system of the narrow endemic, Helenium virginicum (Asteraceae). J. Torrey Bot. Soc. 124:318–321. , and .
- 2000. Population viability analysis of the rare Gentiana pneumonanthe: the importance of genetics, demography and reproductive biology. Pp. 313–334 in A. G. Young and G. M. Clarke, eds. Genetics, demography and viability of fragmented populations. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2003. Integrating demographic and genetic approaches in plant conservation. Biol. Conserv. 113:389–398. , , and .
- 2008. Population size, self-incompatibility and genetic rescue in diploid and tetraploid races of Rutidosis leptorrhynchoides (Asteraceae). Heredity 100:268–274. , and .
- 1996. Extinction by hybridization and introgression. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27:83–109. , and .
- 1997. Plant breeding systems. 2nd ed. Chapman & Hall, London, U.K.
- 2000. Genetic and demographic influences on population persistence: gene flow and genetic rescue in Silene alba. Pp. 271–291 in A. G. Young and G. M. Clarke, eds. Genetics, demography and viability of fragmented populations. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 1996. Learning from rejection: the evolutionary biology of single-locus incompatibility. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:497–502. , and .
- 2008. Hitch-hiking to a locus under balancing selection: high sequence diversity and low population subdivision at the S-locus genomic region in Arabidopsis halleri. Genet. Res. 90:37–46. , , , and .
- 1998. The number of self-incompatibility alleles in a finite, subdivided population. Genetics 149:1153–1162.
- 2000. The effect of hitch-hiking on genes linked to a balanced polymorphism in a subdivided population. Genet. Res. 76:63–73. , , and .
- 2009. Limited mate availability decreases reproductive success of fragmented populations of Linnaea borealis, a rare, clonal self-incompatible plant. Ann. Bot. 103:835–846. , and .
- 1999. Consequences of the Allee effect for behaviour, ecology and conservation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:401–410. , and .
- 1997. Metapopulation collapse: the consequences of limited gene-flow in spatially structured populations. Pp. 83–104 in J. Bascompte and R. V. Solé, eds. Modeling spatiotemporal dynamics in ecology. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany. , , , and .
- 2000. The metapopulation paradigm: a fragmented view of conservation biology. Pp. 75–95 in A. G. Young and G. M. Clarke, eds. Genetics, demography and viability of fragmented populations. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , , and .
- 1998. Mate availability and fecundity selection in multi-allelic self-incompatibility systems in plants. Evolution 51:19–29. , , and .
- 2007. Patch aging and the S-Allee effect: breeding system effects on the demographic response of plants to habitat fragmentation. Am. Nat. 169:383–397. , , and .
- 2002. Effect of seed dispersal on spatial genetic structure in populations of Rutidosis leptorrhynchoides with differing levels of correlated paternity. Genet. Res. 79:219–226. , and .
- 2005. Genetic rescue in interconnected populations of small and large size of the self-incompatible Ranunculus reptans. Heredity 95:437–443. , and .
- 2005. A threefold genetic Allee effect: population size affects cross-compatibility, inbreeding depression and drift load in the self-incompatible Ranunculus reptans. Genetics 169:2255–2265. , , and .
- 1999. Paternal bottlenecks in fragmented populations of the grassland daisy, Rutidosis leptorrhynchoides. Genet. Res. 73:111–117. , and .
- 2010. Low S allele numbers limit mate availability, reduce seed set and skew fitness in small populations of a self-incompatible plant. J. Appl. Ecol. 47:541–548. , and .
- 1999. Genetic structure of fragmented populations of the endangered daisy Rutidosis leptorrhynchoides. Conserv. Biol. 13:256–265. , , and .
- 2000. Genetic erosion, restricted mating and reduced viability in fragmented populations of the endangered grassland herb Rutidosis leptorrhynchoides. Pp. 335–359 in A. G. Young and G. M. Clarke, eds. Genetics, demography and viability of fragmented populations. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , , , , and .
- 2012. Non-additive effects of pollinator limitation and self-incompatibility reduce plant reproductive success and population viability. Ann. Bot. 109:643–653. , , and .