Resource defense and monopolization in a marked population of ruby-throated hummingbirds (Archilochus colubris)
Article first published online: 18 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 6, pages 776–793, March 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(6):776–793
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 18 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 9 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 20 SEP 2013
- Canada Research Chair in Spatial and Landscape Ecology
- Canadian Foundation for Innovation
- Fonds québécois de la recherche sur la nature et les technologies
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- Université de Sherbrooke
- 1987. Economics of breeding territoriality in male Calliope hummingbirds. Auk 104:242–253.
- 2006. Reducing aggression between freshwater crayfish (Cherax destructor Clark: Decapoda, Parastacidae) by increasing habitat complexity. Aquac. Res. 37:1419–1428. , , and .
- 1975. Sugar concentrations in nectars from hummingbird flowers. Biotropica 7:37–41.
- 1998. An increase in habitat complexity reduces aggression and monopolization of food by zebrafish (Danio rerio). Can. J. Zool. 76:770–772. , and .
- 1982. The Ruby-throated Hummingbird and its major food plants: ranges, flowering, phenology, and migration. Can. J. Zool. 60:210–219.
- 2000. Rufous hummingbird sucrose preference: precision of selection varies with concentration. Condor 102:235–238. , , , and .
- 1979. On the calculation of sugar concentration in flower nectar. Oecologia 41:301–304. , , , and .
- 2002. Manipulating territory size via vegetation structure: optimal size of area guarded by the convict cichlid (Pisces, Cichlidae). Can. J. Zool. 80:376–380. , and .
- 1964. The evolution of diversity in avian territorial systems. Wilson Bull. 76:160–169.
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach, 2nd edn. Springer-Verlag, New York. , and .
- 2006. Resource value affects territorial defense by Broad-tailed and Rufous hummingbirds. J. Field Ornithol. 77:120–125.
- 2009. The effects of habitat complexity on aggression and fecundity in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ. Biol. Fishes 86:403–409. , , , and .
- 1987. Food abundance and territoriality: to defend or not to defend? Am. Zool. 27:387–399.
- 1983. Weigth gain and adjustement of feeding territory size in migrant hummingbirds. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 80:7259–7263. , , and .
- 1993. Interference asymmetries among age-sex classes of rufous hummingbirds during migratory stopovers. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 33:297–304. , , , , and .
- 1996. Guarded resources: the effect of intruder number on the tactics and success of defenders and intruders. Anim. Behav. 52:83–94. , and .
- 2004. Habitat complexity reduces aggression and enhances consumption in crayfish. J. Ethol. 22:23–27. , and .
- 1999. Anti-predator behaviour changes following an aggressive encounter in the lizard Tropidurus hispidus. Proc. Biol. Sci. 266:2457–2464.
- 2007. The effect of habitat heterogeneity on the population density of juvenile Atlantic salmon Salmo salar L. J. Fish Biol. 70:206–214. , , and .
- 1992. The effect of visibility on territory size and shape. Behav. Ecol. 3:166–172. , and .
- 2001. The effect of visibility on space use by territorial Red-capped Cardinals. Behaviour 138:19–30. , and .
- 1994. Food availability, intrusion pressure and territory size: an experimental study of Anna's hummingbirds (Calypte anna). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 34:11–18. , and .
- 1977. Ecology, sexual selection, and the evolution of mating systems. Science 197:215–223. , and .
- 1985. Influence of asymmetries in resource quality and age on aggression and dominance in black-chinned hummingbirds. Anim. Behav. 33:705–719.
- 1987. Territory quality and territorial behaviour in two sympatric species of hummingbirds. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 20:285–293. , and .
- 2005. Quantifying home-range overlap: the importance of the utilization distribution. J. Wildl. Manag. 69:1346–1359. , and .
- 1976. Regulation of food supply by feeding territoriality in the Rufous Hummingbird. Can. J. Zool. 54:2046–2054. , , and .
- 1993. Whether or not to defend? The influence of resource distribution. Mar. Freshw. Behav. Physiol. 23:137–152.
- 1993. Spatial clumping of food increases its monopolization and defense by convict cichlids, Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum. Behav. Ecol. 4:293–296. , and .
- 2002. Influence of food abundance on competitive aggression in juvenile convict cichlids. Anim. Behav. 63:323–330. , , , and .
- 2002. Monopolization of food by zebrafish (Danio rerio) increases in risky habitats. Can. J. Zool. 80:2164–2169. , and .
- 2003. The use of territorial gardening versus kleptoparasitism by a subtropical reef fish (Kyphosus cornelii) is influenced by territory defendability. Behav. Ecol. 14:561–568. , and .
- 2009. Effects of competitor density and physical habitat structure on the competitive intensity of territorial white spotted charr Salvelinus leucomaenis. J. Fish Biol. 74:213–219. , and .
- 1983. Territory area, flower density, and time budgeting in hummingbirds: an experimental and theoretical analysis. Am. Nat. 122:366–391. , , and .
- 2004. Habitat complexity reduces the growth of aggressive and dominant brown trout (Salmo trutta) relative to subordinates. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 56:286–289. , , and .
- 2002. The effect of visual isolation on territory size and population density of juvenile rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 59:303–309. , , and .
- 1991. The effect of floral abundance on feeder censuses of hummingbird populations. Condor 93:279–285. , , and .
- 2012. Floral resource availability and hummingbird territorial behaviour on a Neotropical savanna shrub. J. Ornithol. 153:189–197. , , and .
- 1987. Wildlife radio tagging. Academic Press, New York, NY, USA.
- 2001. Analysis of animal space use and movements. Pp. 125–166 in J. J. Millspaugh and J. M. Marzluff, eds. Radio tracking and animal populations. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , , and .
- 2006. Exclusive core areas in overlapping ranges of the sleepy lizard (Tiliqua rugosa). Behav. Ecol. 17:380–391. , and .
- 2004. Interactions between patch size and predation risk affect competitive aggression and size variation in juvenile convict cichlids. Anim. Behav. 68:1181–1187. , , and .
- 2007. Effects of predator presence on territory establishment. Behaviour 144:985–1001. , and .
- 2012. The evolutionary, ecological and behavioural consequences of the presence of floaters in bird populations. North West J. Zool. 8:394–408. , , and .
- 1991. Energy, predators and the behaviour of feeding hummingbirds. Evol. Ecol. 5:220–230.
- 2005. Territorial defense, territory size and population regulation. Am. Nat. 166:317–329. , and .
- 1995. Definitions of territoriality used in the study of variation in vertebrate spacing systems. Anim. Behav. 49:1581–1597. , and .
- 2000. A review of ecological determinants of territoriality within vertebrate species. Am. Midl. Nat. 143:1–29. , and .
- 1991. Effect of territory quality on intrusion rate in non-breeding hummingbirds. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 28:305–308. , and .
- 1996. Growth rate and influence of predation risk on territoriality in juvenile coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 53:660–669.
- 2008. How the presence of feeders affects the use of local floral resources by hummingbirds: a case study from southern Arizona. Condor 110:786–791. , and .
- 2004. Comparability of three analytical techniques to assess joint space use. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 32:148–157. , , , , and .
- 1992. Tests of spatial and temporal interaction among animals. Ecol. Appl. 2:178–188.
- 1992. A possible relation between reverse sexual size dimorphism and reduce male survivorship in the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird. Condor 94:480–489. , , and .
- 1992. Experiments on the limitation of bird numbers by territorial behaviour. Biol. Rev. 67:129–173.
- 2005. Effects of competitor-to-resource ratio on aggression and size variation within groups of convict cichlids. Anim. Behav. 69:1157–1163. , , and .
- 1982. Effect of intrusion pressure on territory size in Black-chinned Hummingbirds (Archilochus alexandri). Auk 99:761–764. , , and .
- 1980. Territorial behaviour and the limitation of population density. Ardea 68:53–62.
- 1942. Territoriality and related problems in North American hummingbirds. Condor 44:189–204.
- 1994. The effect of food availability on time and energy expenditures of territorial and non-territorial hummingbirds. Condor 96:1064–1075. , and .
- 1996. Territoriality in honeyeaters: reviewing the concept and evaluating available information. Aust. J. Zool. 44:297–317. , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Version 2.10.1 R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1996. Hummingbirds' nectar concentration preferences at low volume : the importance of time scale. Anim. Behav. 52:361–370.
- 1996. Ruby-throated Hummingbird. in A. Poole, ed. The birds of North America online. Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. [http://bna.bird.cornell.edu/bna]. , , and .
- 2001. The North American bander's manual for banding Hummingbirds. The North American Banding Council, Point Reyes Station, CA, USA. , and .
- 2009. Predictors of floater status in a long-lived bird : a cross-sectional and longitudinal test of hypotheses. J. Anim. Ecol. 78:109–118. , , and .
- 1998. Competitor intrusions and mate-search tactics in a territorial marine fish. Behav. Ecol. 9:439–444.
- 2006. Territory revisits reduce intrusion during spawning trips by female yellowtail damselfish, Microspathodon chrysurus. Anim. Behav. 71:71–78. , and .
- 1980. Energetics of feeding on tree sap by Ruby-throated Hummingbirds in Michigan. Am. Midl. Nat. 104:328–334. , and .
- 2008. Multiple central-place territories in wild young-of-the-year Atlantic salmon Salmo salar. J. Anim. Ecol. 77:448–457. , and .
- 1998. Extra-pair mating effort of male hooded warblers, Wilsonia citrina. Anim. Behav. 55:553–561.
- 1996. From individual behaviour to population ecology. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1999. Choice of lookout posts by territorial Amberwing Dragonflies, Perithemis tenera (Anisoptera: Libellulidae). J. Insect. Behav. 12:385–398. , and .
- 1996. The effect of group size on space use and aggression at a concentrated food source in blue gouramis, Trichogaster trichopterus (Pisces: Belontiidae). Environ. Biol. Fishes 46:289–296. , and .
- 1985. Breeding territory quality and agonistic behavior: effects of energy availability and intruder pressure in hummingbirds. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 16:203–207.
- 1986. Energy intake rates and nectar concentration preferences by hummingbirds. Oecologia 70:20–23. , and .
- 2010. Mate choice and mate competition in a tropical hummingbird at a floral resource. Proc. Biol. Sci. 277:1607–1613. , and .
- 2004. Effect of food reductions on territorial behavior of Purple-throated Caribs. Condor 106:691–695. , , , and .
- 2005. Foraging and territory economics of sexually dimorphic Purple-throated Caribs (Eulampis jugularis) on three Heliconia morphs. Auk 122:187–204. , , and .
- 2013. Effect of food abundance on aggressiveness and territory size of juvenile rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Anim. Behav. 85:241–246. , and .
- 2007. Identifying mechanistic models of spatial behaviour using pattern-based modelling: an example from lizard home ranges. Ecol. Model. 208:307–316. , , , and .
- 2005. Conditional Akaike information for mixed-effects models. Biometrika 92:351–370. , and .
- 2008. Mechanisms underlying the increase in young-of-the-year Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) density with habitat complexity. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 65:1956–1964. , , , and .