Guidelines for a priori grouping of species in hierarchical community models
Version of Record online: 22 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 7, pages 877–888, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(7):877–888
- Issue online: 7 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 22 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 19 DEC 2013
- North Carolina Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit and Department of Applied Ecology at North Carolina State University
- 2007. Multiple-species analysis of point count data: a more parsimonious modeling framework. J. Appl. Ecol. 44:281–290. , , , and .
- 2012. Hierarchical multi-species modeling of carnivore responses to hunting, habitat and prey in a West African protected area. PLoS ONE 7:e38007. , , , and .
- 2010. Conservation by proxy: indicator, umbrella, keystone, flagship, and other surrogate species. Island Press, Washington, D.C.
- 2009. Using occupancy models of forest breeding birds to prioritize conservation planning. Biol. Conserv. 142:982–991. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Estimating size and composition of biological communities by modeling the occurrence of species. J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 100:389–398. , and .
- 2006. Estimating species richness and accumulation by modeling species occurrence and detectability. Ecology 87:842–854. , , , and .
- 2011. Model based groupings of species across environmental gradients. Ecol. Model. 222:955–963. , , and .
- 2013. Finite mixture of regression modeling for high-dimensional count and biomass data in ecology. J. Agric. Biol. Environ. Stat. 18:357–375. , , , and .
- 2006. An introduction to ROC analysis. Pattern Recogn. Lett. 27:861–874.
- 2007. Data analysis using regression and multilevel/hierarchical models. Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, NY. , and .
- 1992. Inference from iterative simulation using multiple sequences. Stat. Sci. 7:457–511. , and .
- 2013. Effects of management intervention on post-disturbance community composition: an experimental analysis using Bayesian hierarchical models. PLoS ONE 8:e59900. , , , , and .
- 1999. Deriving functional types for rain-forest trees. J. Veg. Sci. 10:641–650. , , and .
- 2013. A strategy for monitoring and managing declines in an amphibian community. Conserv. Biol. 27:1245–1253. , , , and .
- 1992. Land manager's guide to the birds of the South. Pp. 437 General Technical Report SE-22. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station, Asheville, NC.
- 2001. The unified neutral theory of biodiversity and biogeography. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2013. Responses of riparian reptile communities to damming and urbanization. Biol. Conserv. 157:277–284. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Patch dynamics and permeability of fragmented habitats in SouthwesternPuerto Rico. [M.S. thesis], North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC.
- 2011. Generalized linear mixed models for phylogenetic analyses of community structure. Ecol. Monogr. 81:511–525. , and .
- 2012. Seeing the forest and the trees: multilevel models reveal both species and community patterns. Ecosphere 3:art79. , , , and .
- 1980. The comparison of usage and availability measurements for evaluating resource preference. Ecology 61:65–71.
- 2012. Avian species richness in relation to intensive forest management practices in early seral tree plantations. PLoS ONE 7:e43290. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Hierarchical Bayes estimation of species richness and occupancy in spatially replicated surveys. J. Appl. Ecol. 45:589–598. , and .
- 2012. Natural mixing of species: novel plant-animal communities on Caribbean islands. Anim. Conserv. 15:233–241. , , and .
- 2006. Occupancy estimation and modeling: inferring patterns and dynamics of species occurrence. Elsevier, Oxford, U.K. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Community-level vs species-specific approaches to model selection. Ecography 36:1–8. , , and .
- 2013. Explaining local-scale species distributions: relative contributions of spatial autocorrelation and landscape heterogeneity for an avian assemblage. PLoS ONE 8:e55097. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Efficient species-level monitoring at landscape scale. Conserv. Biol. 26:432–441. , , , and .
- 2011. Making more out of sparse data: hierarchical modeling of species communities. Ecology 92:289–295. , and .
- 2012. A two-phase sampling design for increasing detections of rare species in occupancy surveys. Methods Ecol. Evol. 3:721–730. , , and .
- 2012. A comparison of five classifications of species into functional groups in tropical forests of French Guiana. Ecol. Complex. 11:75–83. , , , and .
- 2005. The birds of North America Online. Available at www.bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA/. Accessed 10 April 2013. Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY. , ed.
- 1982. Foraging behavior of forest birds: the relationships among search tactics, diet, and habitat structure. Ecology 63:1918–1931. , and .
- 2008. Hierarchical modeling and inference in ecology. Academic Press, Boston. , and .
- 2011. Detection biases yield misleading patterns of species persistence and colonization in fragmented landscapes. Ecosphere 2:art61. doi: 10.1890/ES10-00207.1 , and .
- 2010. Occupancy dynamics in a tropical bird community: unexpectedly high forest use by birds classified as non-forest species. J. Appl. Ecol. 47:621–630. , , and .
- 2009. Modeling the effects of environmental disturbance on wildlife communities: avian responses to prescribed fire. Ecol. Appl. 19:1253–1263. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Hierarchical modeling of population stability and species group attributes from survey data. Ecology 86:1743–1751. , and .
- 2013. Using multi-species occupancy models in structured decision making on managed lands. J. Wildl. Manage. 77:117–127. , , , , and .
- 2005. ROCR: visualizing classifier performance in R. Bioinformatics 21:3940. , , , and .
- 2003. WinBUGS version 1.4 user manual. MRC Biostatistics Unit, Cambridge, U.K. , , , and .
- 2002. Effects of sample size on accuracy of species distribution models. Ecol. Model. 148:1–13. , and .
- 2005. R2WinBUGS: a package for running WinBUGS from R. J. Stat. Softw. 12:1–16. , , and .
- 2004. Sampling rare or elusive species: concepts, designs, and techniques for estimating population parameters. Island Press, Washington, D.C. , ed.
- 2013. Cryptic loss of montane avian richness and high community turnover over 100 years. Ecology 94:598–609. , and .
- 2013. Conservation of avian diversity in the Sierra Nevada: moving beyond a single-species management focus. PLoS ONE 8:e63088. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0063088 , , , and .
- 2012. Birds see the trees inside the forest: the potential impacts of changes in forest composition on songbirds during spring migration. For. Ecol. Manage. 280:176–186. , , , and .
- 2005. Survey of clustering algorithms. IEEE Trans. Neural Networks 16:645–678. , and .
- 2009. Impacts of forest fragmentation on species richness: a hierarchical approach to community modeling. J. Appl. Ecol. 46:815–822. , , and .
- 2010. Multi-species occurrence models to evaluate the effects of conservation and management actions. Biol. Conserv. 143:479–484. , , , and .
- 2012. Evaluating the predictive abilities of community occupancy models using AUC while accounting for imperfect detection. Ecol. Appl. 22:1962–1972. , , and .