Interspecific diversity in root antioxidative enzyme activities reflect root turnover strategies and preferred habitats in wetland graminoids
Version of Record online: 20 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 6, pages 841–850, March 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(6):841–850
- Issue online: 18 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 20 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 22 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 11 JAN 2014
- Discovery Grant of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada. Grant Number: 249689
- Ege University Research Foundation. Grant Number: 2011 FEN 079
- 2004. Reactive oxygen species: metabolism, oxidative stress, and signal transduction. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 55:373–399. and .
- 2007. Temperature-induced increase in cellular chelating potential associated with reduced thermotolerance. J. Therm. Biol 32:12–19. , , , , and .
- 1999. Natural and man-made selection for air pollution resistance. J. Exp. Bot. 50:1423–1435. , , , and .
- 1971. Superoxide dismutase: improved assays and an assay applicable to acrylamide gels. Anal. Biochem. 44:276–287. and .
- 2003. High rates of extracellular superoxide production by lichens in the suborder Peltigerineae correlate with indices of high metabolic activity. Plant, Cell Environ. 26:1827–1837. , , , and .
- 1970. Methoden der enzymatischen analyse. Vol. 1, Akademie Verlag, Berlin, pp. 636–647.
- 1979. Seasonal changes in above-ground primary production and nutrient contents in a central New York Typha glauca ecosystem. Bull. Torrey Bot. Club 106:37–40. and .
- 2003. The effect of salt stress on lipid peroxidation and antioxidants in leaves of sugar beet Beta vulgaris L. and wild beet Beta maritima L. Plant Sci. 164:77–84. , , and .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72:248–254.
- 2011. High-resolution temporal profiling of transcripts during Arabidopsis leaf senescence reveals a distinct chronology of processes and regulation. Plant Cell 23:873–894. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. From bivalves to birds: oxidative stress and longevity. Funct. Ecol. 24:971–983. , , and .
- 2006. The relationship between seasonal changes in anti-oxidative system and freezing tolerance in the leaves of evergreen woody plants of Sabina. S. Afr. J. Bot. 72:272–279. , , , , and .
- 2009. No simple measures for antioxidant status in birds: complexity in inter- and intraspecific correlations among circulating antioxidant types. Funct. Ecol. 23:310–320. and .
- 2010. From molecules to living systems: historical and contemporary issues in oxidative stress and antioxidant ecology. Funct. Ecol. 24:950–959. , , , and .
- 2002. Lack of evidence for programmed root senescence in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) grown at different levels of phosphorus supply. New Phytol. 153:63–71. , , and .
- 1976. The presence of glutathione and glutathione reductase in chloroplasts: a proposed role in ascorbic acid metabolism. Planta 133:21–25. and .
- 2010. Substantial nutrient resorption from leaves, stems and roots in a subarctic flora: what is the link with other resource economics traits? New Phytol. 186:879–889. , , , and .
- 2010. Aluminum stress induces up-regulation of an efficient antioxidant system in the Al-tolerant maize line but not in the Al-sensitive line. Environ. Exp. Bot. 67:487–494. , , , and .
- 1956. Aging: a theory based on free radical and radiation chemistry. J. Gerontol. 11:298–300.
- 1973. Determination of the activity of peroxidase. Anal. Biochem. 55:554–562. and .
- 2004. The antioxidant status of photosynthesizing leaves under nutrient deficiency: redox regulation, gene expression and antioxidant activity in Arabidopsis thaliana. Physiol. Plant. 120:63–73. , , , , and .
- 1998. Oxidative stress tolerance and longevity in Arabidopsis: the late-flowering mutant gigantea is tolerant to paraquat. Plant J. 14:759–764. , , , and .
- 1969. Anwendung und Zuverlässigkeit der Tetrazoliummethode zur Feststellung von Schäden in pflanzlichen Geweben. Mikroskopie 25:207–218.
- 2000. Antioxidative parameters in the seedlings of pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan L. Millspaugh) in response to Zn and Ni stresses. Plant Sci. 157:113–128. and .
- 2010. The ecological significance of antioxidants and oxidative stress: a marriage between mechanistic and functional perspectives. Funct. Ecol. 24:947–949. , , , and .
- 1981. Hydrogen peroxide is scavenged by ascorbate-specific peroxidase in spinach chloroplasts. Plant Cell Physiol. 22:867–880. and .
- 1994. Extension of life-span by overexpression of superoxide dismutase and catalase in Drosophila melanogaster. Science 263:1128–1130. and .
- 2009. Physiological and antioxidant responses of the perennial xerophyte Capparis ovata Desf. to drought. Environ. Exp. Bot. 66:487–492. , , , and .
- 2007. Leaf senescence and activities of the antioxidant enzymes. Biol. Plant. 51:401–406. and .
- 2001. Oxidative stress and antioxidant activity as the basis of senescence in maize leaves. Plant Sci. 161:765–771. , , , and .
- 1999. A theoretical approach to linking the composition and morphology with the function of leaves. Funct. Ecol. 13:683–695. , , , and .
- 2003. Vitality of tree fine roots: reevaluation of the tetrazolium test. Tree Physiol. 23:257–263. and .
- 2009. Root survival of six cool-temperature wetland graminoids in autumn and early winter. Plant Ecol. Divers. 2:27–35. and .
- 2011. Expression of antioxidant defense genes in mung bean (Vigna radiata L.) roots under water-logging is associated with hypoxia tolerance. Acta Physiol. Plant. 33:735–744. , , , and .
- 2006. Fundamental trade-offs generating the worldwide leaf economics spectrum. Ecology 87:535–541. , , , and .
- 1997. Light stress effects and antioxidative protection in two desert plants. Funct. Ecol. 11:416–424. , , and .
- 2013. Senescence, ageing and death of the whole plant. New Phytol. 197:696–711.
- 2005. Differential responses of lipid peroxidation and antioxidants in the leaves of drought-tolerant P. acutifolius Gray and drought-sensitive P. vulgaris L. subjected to polyethylene glycol mediated water stress. Plant Sci. 168:223–231. , , , and .
- 2008. Unraveling the tapestry of networks involving Reactive Oxygen Species in plants. Plant Physiol. 147:978–984. , , and .
- 2006. Senescence- and drought-related changes in peroxidase and superoxide dismutase isoforms in leaves of Ramonda serbica. J. Exp. Bot. 57:1759–1768. , , , and .
- 2009. Constraints on leaf structural traits in wetland plants. Am. J. Bot. 96:1068–1074. and .
- 2004. Insights into the cellular mechanisms of desiccation tolerance among angiosperm resurrection plant species. Plant, Cell Environ. 27:1329–1340. , , and .
- 2004. The delayed leaf senescence mutants of Arabidopsis, ore1, ore3, and ore9 are tolerant to oxidative stress. Plant Cell Physiol. 45:923–932. , , , and .
- 2004. Seasonal pattern of antioxidant enzyme system in the roots of perennial forage grasses grown in alpine habitat, related to freezing tolerance. Physiol. Plant. 121:399–408. and .