Color expression in experimentally regrown feathers of an overwintering migratory bird: implications for signaling and seasonal interactions
Article first published online: 11 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 8, pages 1222–1232, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(8):1222–1232
- Issue published online: 22 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 11 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 15 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 18 NOV 2013
- National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: 0649679, 0717338, 0615701
- Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant. Grant Number: 1011123
- National Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada Discovery Grant
- Thompson Rivers University CUEF U-REAP
- American Ornithologist Union Student Research Award
- American Museum of Natural History Frank M. Chapman Award
- Cooper Ornithological Society Joseph Grinnell Student Research Award
- Wilson Ornithological Society Louis Agassiz Fuertes Award
- Smithsonian Institution
- Maine Agricultural and Forest Experimental Station
- 2013. Body conditions influences sexual signal expression independent of circulating androgens in male red-backed fairy-wrens. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 183:38–43. , , and .
- 2004. Stable isotope ratios indicate that body condition in migrating passerines is influenced by non-breeding habitat. Proc. Biol. Sci. 271:S215–S218. , , , and .
- 2007. Testosterone increases bioavailability of carotenoids: insights into the honesty of sexual signaling. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 103:18633–18637. , , , , and .
- 2010. Carotenoid composition of invertebrates consumed by two insectivorous bird species. J. Chem. Ecol. 36:608–613. , , , and .
- 2008. Carotenoid plumage hue and chroma signal different aspects of individual quality in tits. Ibis 150:152–159. , and .
- 2010a. Carotenoid-based male plumage predicts parental investment in the American redstart (Setophaga ruticilla). Wilson J. Ornithol. 122:318–325. , , , and .
- 2010b. Adult-like plumage coloration predicts winter territory quality and timing of arrival on the breeding grounds of yearling male American redstarts. Condor 112:676–682. , , , and .
- 2012. Delayed maturation of multiple signals in a migratory songbird. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 66:419–431. , , , , and .
- 2006. Ornithology, 3rd edn. W. H. Freeman and Co., New York.
- 2009. Moult speed affects structural feather ornaments in the blue tit. J. Evol. Biol. 22:782–792. , , , , and .
- 2010. Plumage maintenance affects ultraviolet colour and female preference in the budgerigar. Behav. Process. 8:739–744. , , and .
- 1990. Supplementary food improves the nutritional condition of wintering woodland birds: evidence from ptilochronology. Ornis Scandinavica 21:277–281. and .
- 2005. Seasonal matching of habitat quality and fitness in a migratory bird. Proc. Biol. Sci. 272:2319–2323. , , , , and .
- 1992. The proximate basis of variation in carotenoid pigmentation in male House Finches. Auk 109:1–12.
- 2006. Female mate choice for ornamental coloration. Pp. 137–200 in G. E. Hill and K. J. McGraw, eds. Bird coloration, Vol. 2. Function and evolution. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 1994. Plumage colour signals nutritional condition in the house finch. Proc. Biol. Sci. 258:47–52. , and .
- 2011. Bill coloration, a flexible signal in a tropical passerine bird, is regulated by social environment and androgens. Anim. Behav. 81:795–800. , , , and .
- 1984. Truth in advertising: the kinds of traits favored by sexual selection. Am. Nat. 124:309–324. , and .
- 2011. Sexually selected male plumage color is testosterone dependent in a tropical passerine bird, the red-backed fairy-wren (Malurus melanocephalus). PLoS ONE 6:e26067. , , and .
- 2012. Social environment affects acquisition and color of structural nuptial plumage in a sexually dimorphic tropical passerine. PLoS ONE 7:e47501. , , , and .
- 2000. The role of behavioural dominance in structuring patterns of habitat occupancy in a migrant bird during the non-breeding period. Behav. Ecol. 11:299–308.
- 1998. Corticosterone levels as indicators of habitat quality: effects of habitat segregation in a migratory bird during the non-breeding season. Oecologia 116:284–292. , and .
- 1998. Linking winter and summer events in a migratory bird by using stable-carbon isotopes. Science 282:1884–1886. , , and .
- 1988. The evolution of aggression: can selection generate variability? Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 319:557–570. , and .
- 2003. Animal signals. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. , and .
- 2006. Mechanics of melanin-based coloration. Pp. 243–294 in G. E. hill, K. J. McGraw, eds. Bird coloration: vol. 1, mechanisms and measurements. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2000. Carotenoid-based ornamentation and status signaling in the House Finch. Behav. Ecol. 11:520–527. , and .
- 2004. A simple and inexpensive chemical test for behavioral ecologists to determine the presence of carotenoid pigments in animal tissues. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 57:391–397. , , , and .
- 2008. CLR, Version 1.03. Queen's Univ., Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
- 2011. Seasonal changes in moult, body mass and reproductive condition in siskins Carduelis spinus exposed to daylength regimes simulating different latitudes. J. Avian Biol. 42:22–28. , and .
- 1997. Identification guide to North American birds, part 1: Columbidae to Ploceidae. Slate Creek Press, Bolinas, California.
- R Core Team. 2013. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2008. Molt-migration in the American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) revisited: explaining variation in feather δD signatures. Auk 125:744–748. , , , , , and .
- 2009a. Non-breeding season events influence sexual selection in a long-distance migratory bird. Proc. Biol. Sci. 276:1619–1626. , , , , , and .
- 2009b. Plumage coloration predicts paternity and polygyny in the American redstart. Anim. Behav. 77:495–501. , , , and .
- 2009c. Plumage brightness predicts non-breeding season territory quality in a long-distance migratory songbird, the American redstart Setophaga ruticilla. J. Avian Biol. 40:34–41. , , , , and .
- 1982. Foraging behavior in forest birds: the relationship among search tactics, diet, and habitat structure. Ecology 63:1918–1931. , and .
- 1980. Delayed maturation in passerine plumages and the deceptive acquisition of resources. Am. Nat. 112:400–437. , , and .
- 1983. Delayed plumage maturation and the presumed prealternate molt in American Redstarts. Wilson Bull. 95:199–208. , , and .
- 2005. Modeling seasonal interactions in the annual cycle of migratory birds. Pp. 375–389 in R. Greenberg and P. P. Marra, eds. Birds of two worlds: the ecology and evolution of temperate-tropical migration systems. Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, Baltimore. , and .
- 2004. Ecological conditions during winter affect sexual selection and breeding in a migratory bird. Proc. Biol. Sci. 271:681–686. , , , , and .
- 2003. Carotenoid-based plumage colouration of male greenfinches reflects health and immunocompetence. Oecologia 134:301–307. , , and .
- SAS Institute Inc., 2012. JMP, Version 10. Cary, NC.
- 1997. American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla), The Birds of North America Online. in A. Poole, ed. Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Ithaca. Retrieved from the Birds of North America Online: http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/277. , and .
- 2010. Pre-breeding diet influences ornament size in the Rhinoceros Auklet Cerorhinca monocerata. Ibis 152:29–37. , , , and .
- 2005. Nonbreeding habitat occupancy and population processes: an upgrade removal experiment with a migratory bird. Ecology 86:2380–2385. , and .
- 2007. Linking fluctuations in rainfall to nonbreeding season performance in a long-distance migratory bird, Setophaga ruticilla. Climate Res. 35:115–132. , and .
- 2011. Effects of post-breeding moult and energetic condition on timing of songbird migration into the tropics. Proc. Biol. Sci. 278:131–137. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Migration phenology and winter habitat quality are related to circulating androgen in a long-distance migratory bird. J. Avian Biol. 42:397–404. , , and .
- 2013. Experimental and observational studies of seasonal interactions between overlapping life history stages in a migratory bird. Horm. Behav. 64:825–832. , , and .
- 1978. The annual cycle of plasma irLH and steroid hormones in feral populations of the white-crowned sparrow, Zonotrichia leucophrys gambelii. Biol. Reprod. 19:1046–1056. , and .
- 1992. Seasonal changes in the adrenocortical response to stress in birds of the Sonoran Desert. J. Exp. Zool. 264:419–428. , , and .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. Springer Press, New York. , , , , and .