High genetic diversity in a small population: the case of Chilean blue whales
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 4, Issue 8, pages 1398–1412, April 2014
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2014; 4(8):1398–1412
- Issue published online: 22 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 13 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUL 2013
- Wildlife Conservation Society
- Dirección de Investigación – UACH
- Whale & Dolphin Conservation Society
- Fundación AVINA
- Oregon State University
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- World Wildlife Fund
- Rufford Small Grants Foundation
- Whitley Fund for Nature
- CCF. Grant Numbers: REDES-CONICYT R-01, FONDECYT 1090378
- 2012. Gene flow on ice: the role of sea ice and whaling in shaping Holarctic genetic diversity and population differentiation in bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus). Ecol. Evol. 2:2895–2911. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Levels of genetic variability in cetacean populations have probably changed little as a result of human activities. Rep. Int. Whaling Comm. 46:657–658. ,
- 1998. Factors affecting levels of genetic diversity in natural populations. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 353:177–186. , and .
- 1991. Long-term preservation of whale skin for DNA analysis. Pp. 99–104 in A. R. Hoelzel, ed. Genetic ecology of whales and dolphins. Report of the International Whaling Commission. International Whaling Commission, Cambridge, U.K. , and .
- 2010. Genetic diversity and structure of blue whales (Balaenoptera musculus) in australian feeding aggregations. Conserv. Genet. 11:2437–2441. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Hybridization of southern hemisphere blue whale subspecies and a sympatric area off antarctica: impacts of whaling or climate change? Mol. Ecol. 21:5715–5727. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Molecular genetic identification of whale and dolphin products from commercial markets in korea and japan. Mol. Ecol. 5:671–685. , , and .
- 2004. The incomplete natural history of mitochondria. Mol. Ecol. 13:729–744. , and .
- 1999. Median-joining networks for inferring intraspecific phylogenies. Mol. Biol. Evol. 16:37–48. , , and .
- 2006. Population size does not influence mitochondrial genetic diversity in animals. Science 312:570–572. , , and .
- 2001. Maximum likelihood estimation of a migration matrix and effective population sizes in n subpopulations by using a coalescent approach. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 98:4563–4568. , and .
- 2006. A comparison of rarefaction and bayesian methods for predicting the allelic richness of future samples on the basis of currently available samples. J. Hered. 97:483–492. , , and .
- 1998. Population genetic structure of north atlantic, mediterranean sea and sea of cortez fin whales, Balaenoptera physalus (linnaeus 1758): analysis of mitochondrial and nuclear loci. Mol. Ecol. 7:585–599. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Polymorphic di-nucleotide microsatellite loci isolated from the humpback whale, Megaptera novaeangliae. Mol. Ecol. 9:2181–2183. , , , and .
- 2010. Conservation genetics of population bottlenecks: the role of chance, selection, and history. Conserv. Genet. 11:463–478.
- 2004. Evidence for increases in antarctic blue whales based on bayesian modelling. Marine Mam. Sci. 20:726–754. , , and .
- 2007a. Past and present distribution, densities and movements of blue whales Balaenoptera musculus in the southern hemisphere and northern indian ocean. Mam. Rev. 37:116–175. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007b. Separating southern blue whale subspecies based on length frequencies of sexually mature females. Marine Mam. Sci. 23:803–833. , , , and .
- 2010. Preliminary recordings of blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus) vocalizations in the gulf of corcovado, northern patagonia, chile. Marine Mam. Sci. 26:451–459. , , and .
- 1996. Microsatellites from the beluga whale Delphinapterus leucas. Mol. Ecol. 5:571–575. , , , and .
- 1994. Ecological and genetic factors in conservation: a cautionary tale. Science 263:485–486. , and .
- 1987. Inbreeding depression and its evolutionary consequences. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 18:237–268. , and .
- 2005. Genetic diversity and reproductive success in mandrills (Mandrillus sphinx). Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102:16723–16728. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The confounding effects of population structure, genetic diversity and the sampling scheme on the detection and quantification of population size changes. Genetics 186:983–995. , , , , and .
- 1999. Baleen whales: conservation issues and the status of the most endangered populations. Mam. Rev. 29:35–60. , , and .
- 1996. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 144:2001–2014. , and .
- 2010. Microsatellite genetic characterization of the humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) breeding ground off brazil (breeding stock a). J. Hered. 101:189–200. , , , , and .
- 1991. A review of IWC stock boundaries. Pp. 39–68 in A. R. Hoelzel, ed. Genetic ecology of whales and dolphins. Report of the International Whaling Commission. International Whaling Commission, Cambridge, U.K.
- 2008. Mitochondrial DNA diversity of the southwestern atlantic humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) breeding area off brazil, and the potential connections to antarctic feeding areas. Conserv. Genet. 9:1253–1262. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software structure: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under linux and windows. Mol. Ecol. Res. 10:564–567. , and .
- 1996. Relationship of genetic variation to population size in wildlife. Conserv. Biol. 10:1500–1508.
- 2005. Stress and adaptation in conservation genetics. J. Evol. Biol. 18:750–755.
- 2010. Challenges and opportunities of genetic approaches to biological conservation. Biol. Conserv. 143:1919–1927.
- 1999. Do population size bottlenecks reduce evolutionary potential? Anim. Conserv. 2:255–260. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Statistical tests of neutrality of mutations against population growth, hitchhiking and background selection. Genetics 143:915–925.
- 2012. Chilean blue whales off isla grande de chiloe, 2004-2010: distribution, site-fidelity and behaviour. J. Cetacean Res. Manag. 12:353–360. , , , and .
- 2001. Detection of reduction in population size using data from microsatellite loci. Mol. Ecol. 10:305–318.Direct Link:, and .
- 1986. Minimum viable populations: the processes of species extinctions. Pp. 13–34 in M. Soulé, ed. Conservation biology: the science of scarcity and diversity. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2010. Past exploitation of California sea lions did not lead to a genetic bottleneck in the Gulf of California. Ciencias Marinas 36:199–211. , , and .
- 2008. Heterozygosity-fitness correlations and their relevance to studies on inbreeding depression in threatened species. Mol. Ecol. 17:3978–3984. , , and .
- 2006. Bottlenecked but long-lived: high genetic diversity retained in white-tailed eagles upon recovery from population decline. Biol. Lett. 2:316–319. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Sampling for microsatellite-based population genetic studies: 25 to 30 individuals per population is enough to accurately estimate allele frequencies. PLoS ONE 7:e45170. , , and .
- 2005. A standardized genetic differentiation measure. Evolution 59:1633–1638.
- 2010. Genetic rescue guidelines with examples from mexican wolves and florida panthers. Conserv. Genet. 11:615–626. , and .
- 1992. Conservation genetics: techniques and fundamentals. Ecol. Applic. 2:30–46. , and .
- 1999. Impact of a population bottleneck on genetic variation and the importance of life history; a case study of the northern elephant seal. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 68:23–39.
- 2011. Bayesian inference of a historical genetic bottleneck in a heavily exploited marine mammal. Mol. Ecol. 20:3989–4008. , , , and .
- 1996. Low genetic variability of the koala Phascolarctos cinereus in south-eastern australia following a severe population bottleneck. Mol. Ecol. 5:269–281. , , , , and .
- 2004. Discovery of a blue whale feeding and nursing ground in southern chile. Proc. Biol. Sci. 271:S170–S173. , , , , and .
- 2006. Blue whale research and conservation off southern chile: 2006 update. Unpublished report to the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission (SC/58/SH9). Available from the International Whaling Commission, The Red House, 135 Station Road, Impington, Cambridge CB4 9NP, UK , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Conservando el mar de chiloé, palena y guaitecas. Synthesis of the study “investigación para el desarrollo de área marina costera protegida chiloé, palena y guaitecas” código bip #30040215-0. , , and .
- 2010. Low genetic variation and evidence of limited dispersal in the regionally important belize manatee. Anim. Conserv. 13:592–602. , , , , , and .
- 2008. How few whales were there after whaling? Inference from contemporary mtdna diversity. Mol. Ecol. 17:236–251. , , , and .
- 2004. Treefinder a powerful graphical analysis environment for molecular phylogenetics. BMC Evol. Biol. 4:18. , , and .
- 2006. Genetic characteristics of western north pacific sei whales, Balaenoptera borealis, as revealed by microsatellites. Mar. Biotechnol. 8:86–93. , , and .
- 2007. Population genetic structure of bryde's whales (Balaenoptera brydei) at the inter-oceanic and trans-equatorial levels. Conserv. Genet. 8:853–864. , , , , and .
- 1980. A simple method for estimating evolutionary rates of base substitutions through comparative studies of nucleotide sequences. J. Mol. Evol. 16:111–120.
- 2002. A biopsy system for small cetaceans: darting success and wound healing in Tursiops spp. Marine Mam. Sci. 18:863–878. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic effects of a persistent bottleneck on a natural population of Ornate Box Turtles (Terrapene ornata). Conserv Genet 5:425–437. , and .
- 2009. Importance of genetics in the interpretation of favourable conservation status. Conserv. Biol. 23:1378–1381. , , , , and .
- 1987. A biopsy system for large whales and its use for cytogenetics. J. Mammal. 68:443–445.
- 1994. Risk of population extinction from fixation of new deleterious mutations. Evolution 48:1460–1469. .
- 2007. Clustal w and Clustal x version 2.0. Bioinformatics 23:2947–2948. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Genetic analysis of a documented population bottleneck: introduced bennett's wallabies (Macropus rufogriseus rufogriseus) in new zealand. Mol. Ecol. 9:753–763. , , , and .
- 2007. Patterns of genetic variation in Southern Hemisphere blue whales and the use of assignment test to detect mixing on the feeding grounds. J. Cetacean Res. Manag. 9:73–80. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. High genetic diversity and no inbreeding in the endangered copperredhorse, Moxostoma hubbsi (Catostomidae, Pisces): the positive sides of a long generation time. Mol. Ecol. 15:1769–1780. , , and .
- 1995. Mutation accumulation and the extinction of small populations. Am. Nat. 146:489–518. , , and .
- 1999. Restoration of an inbred adder population. Nature 402:34–35. , , , and .
- 1990. Strategies for conserving biodiversity. Environment 32:16–40. , , , , and .
- 1994. Demographic consequences of inbreeding in remnant populations. Am. Nat. 144:412–431. , and .
- 1987. Molecular evolutionary genetics. Columbia Univ. Press, New York. .
- 1994. Estimating the effective population size of conserved populations. Conserv. Biol. 8:175–184. , and .
- 1998. Microsatellite analysis of genetic diversity in fragmented south african buffalo populations. Anim. Conserv. 1:85–94. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Primers for the amplification of tri and tetramer microsatellite loci in baleen whales. Mol. Ecol. 6:893–895. , , , and .
- 2012. Effective/census population size ratio estimation: a compendium and appraisal. Ecol. Evol. 2:2357–2365. , and .
- 1998. Species identification using genetic tools: the value of nuclear and mitochondrial gene sequences in whale conservation. J. Hered. 89:459–464. , and .
- 2007. The history of whales read from DNA. Pp. 102–115 in J. A. Estes, ed. Whales, whaling and ocean ecosystems. Univ. of California Press, Berkeley. , and .
- 2001) Trypanotolerance in west african cattle and the population genetic effects of selection. PhD thesis, University of Dublin. (
- 2010. Population structure and possible migratory links of common minke whales, Balaenoptera acutorostrata, in the southern hemisphere. Conserv. Genet. 11:1553–1558. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Genalex 6: genetic analysis in excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 1999. Bottleneck: a computer program for detecting recent reductions in the effective population size using allele frequency data. J. Hered. 90:502–503. , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics Soc. Am. 155:945–959. , , and .
- 1990. Blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus) distribution in the eastern tropical pacific. Marine Mam. Sci. 6:265–277. , and .
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- 2003. Whales before whaling in the north atlantic. Science 301:508–510. , and .
- 2008. Genepop '007: a complete re-implementation of the genepop software for windows and linux. Mol. Ecol. Res. 8:103–106.
- 2003. Dnasp, DNA polymorphism analyses by the coalescent and other methods. Bioinformatics 19:2496–2497. , , , and .
- 2007. Inferring geographic isolation of wolverine in California using historical DNA. J. Wildlife Manag. 71:2170–2179. , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Viable populations for conservation. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K. , ed.
- 2012. Circumpolar diversity and geographic differentiation of mtDNA in the critically endangered antarctic blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus intermedia). PLoS ONE 7:e32579. , , , , and .
- 2003. Segregation of migration by feeding ground origin in north atlantic humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae). J. Zool. 259:231–237. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Non-invasive genetic sampling and individual identification. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 68:41–55. , and .
- 1983. Evolutionary relationship of DNA sequences in finite populations. Genetics 105:437–460.
- 1989. Statistical method for testing the neutral mutation hypothesis. Genetics 123:585–595.
- 2008. ONESAMP: a program to estimate effective population size using approximate bayesian computation. Mol. Ecol. Res. 8:299–301. , , , and .
- 1994. Genetic-variation of microsatellite loci in a bottlenecked species - the northern hairy-nosed wombat Lasiorhinus krefftii. Mol. Ecol. 3:277–290. , , and .
- 2007. Generation length and percent mature estimates for IUCN assessments of cetaceans. NOAA Administrative Report, Southwest Fisheries Science Center LJ-07-01, La Jolla, CA. , , , and .
- 1982. The history of modern whaling. Univ. of California Press, Berkeley and Los Angeles. , and .
- 2011) Molecular ecology of the blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus): delimiting populations and migration patterns along the west coast of Central and South. PhD thesis, Universidad Austral de Chile. (
- 1996. Microsatellite markers for the study of cetacean populations. Mol. Ecol. 5:151–156. , and .
- 2004. Micro-checker: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2009. Wildlife in a changing world – an analysis of the 2008 IUCN red list of threatened species. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland 180 pp. , , and , eds.
- 2001. Estimating the probability of identity among genotypes in natural populations: cautions and guidelines. Mol. Ecol. 10:249–256. , , and .
- 2002. Evaluating the effects of historic bottleneck events: an assessment of microsatellite variability in the endangered, north atlantic right whale. Mol. Ecol. 11:2241–2250. , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic consequences of a severe population bottleneck in the Guadalupe fur seal (Arctocephalus townsendi). J. Hered. 95:144–153. , , and .
- 1998. Tracking the long-term decline and recovery of an isolated population. Science 282:1695–1698. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Limits to the adaptive potential of small populations. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37:433–458. , , and .
- 2010. Preliminary report on a survey to estimate abundance and distribution of blue whales in Chiloense Ecoregion, southern Chile in 2009. Unpublished report to the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission (SC/58/SH9). Available from the International Whaling Commission, The Red House, 135 Station Road, Impington, Cambridge CB4 9NP, UK , , , , and .
- 2011. Chilean blue whales as a case study to illustrate methods to estimate abundance and evaluate conservation status of rare species. Conserv. Biol. 25:526–535. , , , , , and .