Soil respiration in response to year-to-year variations in rainfall in a tropical seasonal forest in northern Thailand
Article first published online: 3 FEB 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 6, Issue 1, pages 134–141, February 2013
How to Cite
Kume, T., Tanaka, N., Yoshifuji, N., Chatchai, T., Igarashi, Y., Suzuki, M. and Hashimoto, S. (2013), Soil respiration in response to year-to-year variations in rainfall in a tropical seasonal forest in northern Thailand. Ecohydrol., 6: 134–141. doi: 10.1002/eco.1253
- Issue published online: 15 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 3 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 10 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 AUG 2011
- 2006. Differences in soil respiration between different tropical ecosystems. Applied Soil Ecology 34: 258–265. , , , , .
- 2009. Spatial and temporal variation in soil respiration in a seasonally dry tropical forest, Thailand. Journal of Tropical Ecology 25: 531–539. , , , , .
- 2003. Assessing the eddy covariance technique for evaluating carbon dioxide exchange rates of ecosystems: past, present and future. Global Change Biology 9: 479–492. .
- 1999. Field N2O, CO2, and CH4 fluxes in relation to tillage, compaction and soil quality in Scotland. Soil and Tillage Research 53: 29–39. , , .
- 1996. Sap flow in Bornean heath and dipterocarp forest trees during wet and dry periods. Tree Physiology 16: 295–299. .
- 2000. Effects of soil water content on soil respiration in forests and cattle pastures of eastern Amazonia. Biogeochemistry 48: 53–69. , , , , .
- 2002a. Minimizing artifacts and biases in chamber-based measurements of soil respiration. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 113: 21–37. , , , .
- 2002b. Belowground carbon allocation in forests estimated from litterfall and IRGA-based soil respiration measurements. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 113: 39–51. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Interannual variation of soil respiration in a beech forest ecosystem over a six-year study. Annals of Forest Sciences 61: 499–505. , , .
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization). 2001. Global Forest Resources Assessment 2000—Main Report. FAO Forestry Paper 140, Rome.
- 2000. Separating root and soil microbial contributions to soil CO2 efflux: a review of methods and observations. Biogeochemistry 48: 115–146. , , , .
- 2005. Relationships between soil CO2 concentration and CO2 production, temperature, water content, and gas diffusivity: implications for field studies through sensitivity analyses. Journal of Forest Research 11: 41–50. , .
- 2004. Soil respiration and soil CO2 concentration in a tropical forest, Thailand. Journal of Forest Research 9:75–79. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Seasonality of vertically partitioned soil CO2 production in temperate and tropical forest. Journal of Forest Research 12: 209–221. , , , , , , .
- 2005. An analysis of soil respiration across northern hemisphere temperate ecosystems. Biogeochemistry 73: 29–70. , , , .
- 2003. Long-term half-hourly measurement of soil CO2 concentration and soil respiration in a temperate deciduous forest. Journal of Geophysical Research 108(D20): 4631. DOI: 10.1029/2003JD003766 , .
- 2008. High temporal resolution tracing of photosynthate carbon from the tree canopy to forest soil microorganisms. New Phytologist 177: 220–228. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Interannual variation in soil CO2 efflux and the response of root respiration to climate and canopy gas exchange in mature ponderosa pine. Global Change Biology 14: 2848–2859. , , , .
- 2001. Productivity overshadows temperature in determining soil and ecosystem respiration across European forests. Global Change Biology 7: 269–278. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Effect of forest structure on the spatial variation in soil respiration in a Bornean tropical rainforest. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149: 1666–1673. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Spatial and temporal variation in soil respiration in a southeast Asian tropical rainforest. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 147: 35–47. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. CO2 exchange of a tropical rainforest at Pasoh in Peninsular Malaysia. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 148: 439–452. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Modeling CO2 exchange over a Bornean tropical rain forest using measured vertical and horizontal variations in leaf-level physiological parameters and leaf area densities. Journal of Geophysical Research 111: D10107. DOI: 10.1029/2005JD006676 , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Impact of soil drought on sap flow and water status of evergreen trees in a tropical monsoon forest northern Thailand. Forest Ecology and Management 238: 220–230. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Sources of CO2 efflux from soil and review of partitioning methods. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 38: 425–448. .
- 2004. Spatial patterns and recent trends in the climate of tropical forest regions. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series, B 359: 311–329. , .
- 2004. Tree-porosity model for predicting the gas diffusion coefficient in undisturbed soil. Soil Science Society of American Journal 68: 750–759. , , , , .
- 2007. Hot spots of soil respiration in an Asian tropical rainforest. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L08705. , , , .
- 2008. Characteristics of soil CO2 efflux variability in a seasonal tropical rainforest in Borneo Island. Biogeochemistry 90: 275–289. , , , , , .
- 1995. Diel and seasonal changes in carbon dioxide concentration and flux in an Andisol. Soil Science 160: 117–124. , .
- 1989. Belowground carbon allocation in forest ecosystems: global trends. Ecology 70: 1346–1354. , .
- 2003. Modeling temporal and large-scale spatial variability of soil respiration from soil water availability, temperature and vegetation productivity indices. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17: 1104. DOI: 10.1029/2003GB002035 , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Nighttime CO2 flux over a Bornean tropical rainforest. Journal of Japanese Society of Hydrology and Water Resources 18: 64–72 (in Japanese, with English summary). , , , , .
- 2001. Interannual variation of soil respiration in two New England forests. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 15: 337–350. , .
- 2009. Soil respiration in different ages of teak plantations in Thailand. Japan Agricultural Research Quarterly 43: 337–343. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. A review of evapotranspiration estimates from tropical forests in Thailand and adjacent regions. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 148: 807–819. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Assessing soil CO2 efflux using continuous measurements of CO2 profiles in soils with small solid-state sensors. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 118: 207–220. , , , .
- 2005. Tree photosynthesis modulates soil respiration on a diurnal time scale. Global Change Biology 11: 1298–1304. , , .
- 1999. The ecoclimatology of Dnum, Sabah, in the context of the world's rainforest regions with particular reference to dry periods and their impact. Philosophical Transactions Royal Society B 354: 1869–1883. , .
- 2001. Soil-surface CO2 efflux and its spatial and temporal variations in a young ponderosa pine plantation in northern California. Global Change Biology 7: 667–677. , .
- 2005. Findings through the AsiaFlux network and a view toward future. Journal of Geographical Society 15: 142–148. , , , , , .
- 2006. Inter-annual variation in growing season length of a tropical seasonal forest in northern Thailand. Forest Ecology and Management 229: 333–339. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Interannual variation in transpiration onset and its predictive indicator for a tropical deciduous forest in northern Thailand based on 8-year sap flow record. Ecohydrology 4: 225–235. , , , , , .