Ecogeomorphic expressions of an aspect-controlled semiarid basin: II. Topographic and vegetation controls on solar irradiance
Article first published online: 12 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 6, Issue 1, pages 24–37, February 2013
How to Cite
Gutiérrez-Jurado, H. A. and Vivoni, E. R. (2013), Ecogeomorphic expressions of an aspect-controlled semiarid basin: II. Topographic and vegetation controls on solar irradiance. Ecohydrol., 6: 24–37. doi: 10.1002/eco.1263
- Issue published online: 15 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 12 MAR 2012
- NASA Land Cover and Land Use Program. Grant Number: NNG05GA17G
- NSF Geomorphology and Land Cover Dynamics Program. Grant Number: EAR-0819924
- 2007. Slope aspect modifies community responses to clear-cutting in boreal forests. Ecology 88(3): 749–758. , , , .
- 2005. Slope aspect influences plant association patterns in the Mediterranean. Journal of Arid Environments 62: 93–108. , , , .
- 2008a. Slope, aspect and climate: spatially explicit and implicit models of topographic microclimate in chalk grassland. Ecological Modelling 216: 47–59. , , , , .
- 2008b. Influence of slope and aspect on long-term vegetation change in British chalk grasslands. Journal of Ecology 94: 355–368. , , , .
- 1997. Overstory-imposed heterogeneity in solar radiation and soil moisture in a semiarid woodland. Ecological Applications 7(4): 1201–1215. , , , .
- 1998. Effects of woody plants on microclimate in a semiarid woodland: soil temperature and evaporation in canopy and intercanopy patches. International Journal of Plant Sciences 159: 1010–1017. , , , .
- 2008. Aspect-related microclimatic influences on slope forms and processes, northeastern Arizona. Journal of Geophysical Research 113: F03002. DOI: 10.1029/2007JF000789. , , .
- 2005. On the coupled geomorphological and ecohydrological organization of river basins. Advances in Water Resources 28: 69–86. , , .
- 2004. Topographic controls on the regional-scale biodiversity of the south-western USA. Journal of Biogeography 31: 1125–1138. , .
- 2007. DEM resolution dependencies of terrain attributes across a landscape, International Journal of Geographical Information Science 21: 187–213. , , .
- 2000. Physical Hydrology, 2nd edn. Prentice Hall: Upple Saddle River, New Jersey, USA; 365. .
- 2002. Mapping vegetation spatial patterns from modeled water, temperature and solar radiation gradients. Journal of Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing 57: 69–85. , .
- 2009. Multiple attribute decision making for individual tree detection using high-resolution laser scanning. Forest Ecology and Management 258: 2501–2510. , , , , .
- 2002. A geometric solar radiation model with applications in agriculture and forestry. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 37: 25–35. , .
- 2000. Predictive distribution models in ecology. Ecological Modelling 135: 147–186. , .
- 2006. Ecohydrology of root zone water fluxes and soil development in complex semiarid rangelands. Hydrological Processes 20: 3289–3316. , , , .
- 2007. Ecohydrological response to a geomorphically significant flood event in a semiarid catchment with contrasting ecosystems. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L24S25. DOI: 10.1029/2007GL030994. , , , .
- 2012. Ecogeomorphic expressions of an aspect-controlled semiarid basin: I. Topographic analyses with high-resolution data sets. Ecohydrology 6(1): 8–23. , .
- 1975. Vegetational responses to latitudinal variations in slope angle and aspect. Journal of Biogeography 2: 179–183. , .
- 1977. Habitat occupation by Aloe ferox Mill. (Liliaceae) in relation to topographic variations in direct beam solar radiation income. Journal of Biogeography 4(1): 61–72. , , .
- 2003. Modelling the spatial distribution of montane and subalpine forests in the Central Alps using digital elevation models. Ecological Modelling 168: 267–282. .
- 2008a. Vegetation-hydrology dynamics in complex terrain of semiarid areas. I. A mechanistic approach to modeling dynamic feedbacks. Water Resources Research 44: W03429. DOI: 10.1029/2006WR005588. , , .
- 2008b. Vegetation-hydrology dynamics in complex terrain of semiarid areas: 2. Energy-water controls of vegetation spatiotemporal dynamics and topographic niches of favorability. Water Resources Research 44: W03430. DOI: 10.1029/2006WR005595. , , .
- 2008. On the topographic imprint of vegetation: inferences from regional analysis of landscape morphology in central New Mexico. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L14403. DOI: 10.1029/2008GL034477. , , , , .
- 2004. The effect of DEM raster resolution on first order, second order and compound terrain derivatives. Transactions in GIS 8: 83–111. .
- 1980. Vegetation–radiation relationships in mountainous terrain: eucalypt dominated vegetation in the Risdon Hills, Tasmania. Journal of Biogeography 7: 197–208. , .
- 2006. Very high resolution digital elevation models: do they improve models of plant species distribution? Ecological Modelling 198: 139–153. , , .
- 2000. Spatial distributions of understory light along the grassland forest continuum: effects of cover, height, and spatial pattern of tree canopies. Ecological Modelling 126: 79–93. , , .
- 2001. Landscape-scale patterns of shrub-species abundance in California Chaparral: the role of topographically mediated resource gradients. Plant Ecology 156: 19–41. , , .
- 1999. Calibration and sensitivity analysis of a spatially-distributed solar radiation model. International Journal of Geographical Information Science 13: 49–65. , , .
- 2009. Solar radiation and shadow modelling with adaptive triangular meshes. Solar Energy 83: 998–1012. , , , .
- 1991. Digital terrain modelling: a review of hydrological, geomorphological, and biological applications. Hydrological Processes 5: 3–30. , , .
- 2002. Vegetation influences on water yields from grassland and shrubland ecosystems in the Chihuahuan Desert. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 27: 1011–1020. , .
- 2006. Toward a unified science of the Earth's surface: opportunities for synthesis among hydrology, geomorphology, geochemistry, and ecology. Water Resources Research 42: W03S10. DOI: 10.1029/2005WR004336. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Response of an aridland ecosystem to interannual climate variability and prolonged drought. Landscape Ecology 22(6): 897–910. , .
- 2008. Efficient assessment of topographic solar radiation to improve plant distribution models. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 148: 1696–1706. , .
- 1995. Distributed estimation of incoming direct solar radiation over a drainage basin. Journal of Hydrology 166: 461–478. , .
- 1995. Modelling topographical influences on solar radiation: manual for the SOLARFLUX model. LA-12989-M, Los Alamos National Laboratories: Los Alamos; 33. , , .
- 2008. Effects of vegetation, albedo and solar radiation sheltering on the distribution of snow in the Valles Caldera, New Mexico. Ecohydrology 1: 253–270. , , .
- 2007. Airborne laser swath mapping: achieving the resolution and accuracy required for geosurficial research. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L23S10. DOI: 10.1029/2007GL031939. , , , .
- 2004. A new GIS-based solar radiation model and its application to photovoltaic assessments. Transactions in GIS 8(2): 175–190. , .
- 2009. Understanding earth surface processes from remotely sensed digital terrain models. Geomorphology 113: 1–3. , , .
- 2005. Desert vegetation and timing of solar radiation. Journal of Arid Environments 60: 697–707. , , .
- 2003. Ecohydrology of a resource conserving semiarid woodland: effects of scale and disturbance. Ecological Monographs 73: 223–239. , , .
- 2006. Slope aspect, slope length and slope inclination controls of shallow soils vegetated by sclerophyllous heath – links to long-term landscape evolution. Geomorphology 76: 347–362. , .
- 2000. Terrain Analysis: Principles and Applications. John Wiley & Sons: New York, New York, USA; 469. , .
- 2010. The implications of geology, soils, and vegetation on landscape morphology: Inferences from semiarid basins with complex vegetation patterns in central New Mexico, USA. Geomorphology 116: 246–263. , , .
- 2005. Solar radiation modelling. Computers & Geosciences 31: 233–240. , , .
- 1994. Digital elevation model grid size, landscape representation, and hydrologic simulations. Water Resources Research 30: 1019–1028. , .
- 2007. Effects of topography and woody plant canopy cover on near-ground solar radiation: relevant energy inputs for ecohydrology and hydropedology. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L24S21. DOI: 10.1029/2007GL031484. , , .