Mountain ecohydrology: quantifying the role of vegetation in the water balance of montane catchments
Article first published online: 29 SEP 2008
Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Special Issue: Mountain Ecohydrology: Quantifying the role of vegetation in the water balance of montane catchments
Volume 1, Issue 3, pages 187–192, 2008
How to Cite
Brooks, P. D. and Vivoni, E. R. (2008), Mountain ecohydrology: quantifying the role of vegetation in the water balance of montane catchments. Ecohydrol., 1: 187–192. doi: 10.1002/eco.27
- Issue published online: 29 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 29 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Received: 29 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JUL 2008
- SAHRA (Sustainability of semi-Arid Hydrology and Riparian Areas)
- 1998. Drought-induced shift of a forest-woodland ecotone: Rapid landscape response to climate variation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 95: 14839–14842. , .
- 1991. Gradient analysis of latitudinal variation in Southern Rocky-mountain forests. Journal of Biogeography 18: 123–139. , , .
- 2002. Ecological restoration of Southwestern ponderosa pine ecosystems: A broad perspective. Ecological Applications 12: 1418–1433. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. How plant functional-type, weather, seasonal drought, and soil physical properties alter water and energy fluxes of an oak-grass savanna and an annual grassland. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 123: 13–39. , , .
- 2005. Regional vegetation die-off in response to global-change-type drought. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 102: 15144–15148. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Geologic framework of a groundwater system on the margin of a rift basin, Pajarito Plateau, north-central New Mexico. Vadose Zone Journal 4: 522–550. , .
- 2002. Ecohydrology: Darwinian Expression of Vegetation form anf Function. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, ISBN 0 521 772 451. .
- 1998. Tectonic geomorphology of the Sierra Nacimiento: Traditional and new techniques in assessing long-term landscape evolution in the Southern Rocky Mountains. Journal of Geology 106: 433–453. , .
- 1994. Evolution of a mineralized geothermal system, Valles Caldera, NM. Economic Geology 89(8): 1803–1832. , .
- 1986. Special section on the valles caldera and jemez mountains volcanic Field—Introduction. Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth and Planets 91: 1741–1741. .
- 2004. Convergence across biomes to a common rain-use efficiency. Nature 429: 651–654. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Ecohydrological implications of woody plant encroachment. Ecology 86: 308–319. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Seasonal and interannual variation of streamflow pathways and biogeochemical implications in semiarid, forested catchments, Valles Caldera, New Mexico. Ecohydrology 1: 239–252. , , , , .
- 2008. Monitoring the timing of snow melt and the initiation of streamflow using a distributed network of temperature/light sensors. Ecohydrology 1: 215–224. , , , , .
- 2008. Evaluation of distributed soil moisture simulations through field observations during the North American monsoon in Redondo Creek, New Mexico. Ecohydrology 1: 271–287. , .
- 2003. Biogeochemical hot spots and hot moments at the interface of terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems. Ecosystems 6: 301–312. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Transpiration and stomatal conductance across a steep climate gradient in the Southern rocky Mountains. Ecohydrology 1: 193–204. , , .
- 2005. Declining mountain snowpack in western north America. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 86: 39. , , , .
- 2003. A Vegetation Survey and Ecological Assessment of Valles Caldera National Preserve, New Mexico. , .
- NRCS. 1978. Soil Survey of Sandoval County Area, New Mexico.
- 2003. Soil moisture and plant stress dynamics along the Kalahari precipitation gradient. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 108(D3): 4127–4134. , , , , .
- 2004. Self-organized patchiness and catastrophic shifts in ecosystems. Science 305: 1926–1929. , , , .
- 2008. Effects of vegetation, albedo and radiation sheltering on the distribution of snow in the Valles Caldera, New Mexico. Ecohydrology 1: 253–270. , , .
- 2000. Ecohydrology: A hydrologic perspective of climate-soil-vegetation dynamics. Water Resources Research 36: 3–9. .
- 2005. Impact of land use and land cover change on groundwater recharge and quality in the southwestern US. Global Change Biology 11: 1577–1593. , , , , .
- 2006. Ecohydrological impacts of woody-plant encroachment: seasonal patterns of water and carbon dioxide exchange within a semiarid riparian environment. Global Change Biology 12: 311–324. , , , .
- 2007. Model projections of an imminent transition to a more arid climate in Southwestern North America. Science 316: 1181–1184. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Comparison of soil moisture and meteorological controls on pine and spruce transpiration. Ecohydrology 1: 205–214. , .
- 2002. Tree-grass competition in space and time: Insights from a simple cellular automata model based on ecohydrological dynamics. Water Resources Research 38: 1179, DOI:10·1029/2001WR000768, 2002. , .
- 2008. Vegetation controls on soil moisture distribution in the Valles Caldera, New Mexico, during the North American monsoon. Ecohydrology 1: 225–238. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Does rangeland degradation have implications for global streamflow? Hydrological Processes 21: 2961–2964. .