Study 1 is part of the third author's BSc thesis. Different aspects of the findings reported in this paper were presented as Eller, A., & Koschate, M. (2010). ¿Te importa o te vale? ¿Que audiencia nos causa pena? [Do you care or not? Which audience causes us embarrassment?]. Paper presented at the XIII Mexican Congress of Social Psychology, Hermosillo, Mexico, 8–10 September; Koschate, M., & Eller, A. (2010). Embarrassment depends on who you have in mind. Paper presented at the British Psychological Society Social Psychology Section Annual Conference, Winchester, 7–9 September; Eller, A., & Koschate, M. (2010). Not giving a damn: The ingroup–outgroup audience effect in embarrassment. Paper presented at the 8th Biennial Convention of the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues, New Orleans, USA, 24–27 June; Eller, A., Koschate, M., Gilson, K. & Hull, C. (2009). Vergüenza: El efecto del público de grupos pertenencia y externos en situaciones bochornosas [Embarrassment: The ingroup–outgroup audience effect in faux pas situations]. Paper presented at the XVII Mexican Congress of Psychology, Acapulco, Mexico, 14–16 October; Eller, A., Koschate, M., & Gilson, K. (2009). Erröten für die Anderen: Intergruppenkontakt und Verlegenheit gegenüber Fremdgruppenmitgliedern. [Blushing for others: Intergroup contact and embarrassment vis-à-vis outgroup members]. Paper presented at the 12. Tagung de Fachgruppe der Sozialpsychologie' of the German Association of Psychology (DGfP), Luxembourg, September 2–4; Koschate, M., Eller, A., & Gilson, K. (2009). Blushing for the outgroup: Intergroup contact as a predictor of embarrassment. Paper presented at the British Psychological Society Social Psychology Section Annual Conference, Sheffield, 15–17 September; Eller, A., Koschate, M., Gilson, K. & Hull, C. (2009). Embarrassment: The ingroup–outgroup audience effect in faux pas situations. Poster presented at the British Psychological Society Annual Conference, Brighton, April 1–3; and Eller, A. & Gilson, K. (2008). Embarrassment: Intergroup audience effects. Paper presented at the 15th General Meeting of the European Association of Experimental Social Psychologists, Opatija, Croatia, June 10–14.
Embarrassment: The ingroup–outgroup audience effect in faux pas situations
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2011
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
European Journal of Social Psychology
Special Issue: The Centrality of Social Image in Social Psychology
Volume 41, Issue 4, pages 489–500, June 2011
How to Cite
Eller, A., Koschate, M. and Gilson, K.-M. (2011), Embarrassment: The ingroup–outgroup audience effect in faux pas situations. Eur. J. Soc. Psychol., 41: 489–500. doi: 10.1002/ejsp.815
- Issue online: 15 JUN 2011
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 APR 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 21 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 21 JUN 2010
- Leverhulme Trust. Grant Number: F/00 268/AT
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!