Mutagens in human breast lipid and milk: the search for environmental agents that initiate breast cancer
Version of Record online: 7 MAR 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis
Volume 39, Issue 2-3, pages 143–149, 2002
How to Cite
Phillips, D. H., Martin, F. L., Williams, J. A., Wheat, L. M.C., Nolan, L., Cole, K. J. and Grover, P. L. (2002), Mutagens in human breast lipid and milk: the search for environmental agents that initiate breast cancer. Environ. Mol. Mutagen., 39: 143–149. doi: 10.1002/em.10049
- Issue online: 29 MAR 2002
- Version of Record online: 7 MAR 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 NOV 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 5 NOV 2001
- Manuscript Received: 25 SEP 2001
- Association for International Cancer Research
- UK Department of Health
- The Cancer Research Campaign
- 1978. Adipose tissue, a neglected factor in aetiology of breast cancer? Lancet 2: 296. , .
- 1991. A metabolically competent human cell line expressing five cDNAs encoding procarcinogen-activating enzymes: application to mutagenicity testing. Chem Res Toxicol 4: 566–572. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Detection of monocyclic aromatic amines, possible mammary carcinogens, in human milk. Chem Res Toxicol 12: 78–82. , , .
- 1994. The inherited component of cancer. Br Med Bull 50: 527–535. .
- 1992. Environmental carcinogens that may be involved in human breast cancer etiology. Chem Res Toxicol 5: 585–590. .
- 1990. Simple method for quantifying mutagenic heterocyclic aromatic amines in food products. Carcinogenesis 11: 1597–1603. .
- 2000. p53 and human cancer: the first ten thousand mutations. Adv Cancer Res 77: 81–137. , .
- 1993. Risk factors for breast cancer development. Cancer 71: 2127–2140. .
- 1996. The role of peroxidase-catalyzed activation of aromatic amines in breast cancer. Mutagenesis 11: 3–7. .
- 1998. Current concepts: neutrophils and the activation of carcinogens in the breast and other organs [The 1996 Veylien Henderson Award of the Society of Toxicology of Canada]. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 76: 693–700. , .
- 1980. Cancer patterns among migrant and native-born Japanese in Hawaii in relation to smoking, drinking, and dietary habits. In: GelboinHV, MacMahonM, MatsushimaT, TakayamS, TakebeH, editors. Genetic and environmental factors in experimental and human cancer. Tokyo: Japan Scientific Society Press. p 327–340. , , .
- 1996. Aromatic DNA adducts in adjacent tissues of breast cancer patients: clues to breast cancer etiology. Cancer Res 56: 287–293. , , , .
- 2001. Genotoxins and the initiation of sporadic breast cancer. Mutagenesis 16: 155–161. .
- 1996. Genotoxicity of human mammary lipid. Cancer Res 56: 5342–5346. , , , , , .
- 1997. DNA damage in breast epithelium: detection by the single-cell gel assay and induction by mammary lipid extracts. Carcinogenesis 18: 2299–2305. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Morphological transformation of C3H/M2 mouse fibroblasts by extracts of human mammary lipid. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 251: 182–189. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Genotoxicity of human milk extracts and detection of DNA damage in exfoliated cells recovered from breast milk [corrected and republished with original paging, article originally printed in Biochem Biophys Res Commun 257:319–326]. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 259: 319–326. , , , , , , .
- 2000a. DNA damage in human breast milk cells and its induction by “early” and “late” milk extracts. Carcinogenesis 21: 799–804. , , , , , , , .
- 2000b. Activation of genotoxins to DNA-damaging species in exfoliated breast milk cells. Mutat Res 470: 115–124. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Genotoxicity of human breast milk from different countries. Mutagenesis 16: 401–406. , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Cancer in migrants to Australia: extending the descriptive epidemiological data. Cancer Res 48: 751–756. , .
- 1996. Estrogen and breast cancer. New York: Springer. .
- 1995. Carcinogen-DNA adducts in human breast tissue. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 4: 233–238. , , , , , , , .
- 1980. Mutagenic activity of nipple aspirates of human breast fluid. Cancer Res 40: 188–189. , , , .
- 1998. DNA adducts in human breast tissue: association with N-acetyltransferase-2 (NAT2) and NAT1 genotypes. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 7: 1019–1025. , , , , , .
- 1999. Heterocyclic aromatic amines induce DNA strand breaks and cell transformation. Carcinogenesis 20: 545–551. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Morphological transformation of C3H/M2 mouse fibroblasts by, and genotoxicity of, extracts of human milk. Mutat Res 498: 207–217. , , , , , .
- 1990. The mutagenic activity of human breast secretions. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 116: 499–502. , .
- 1995. Infant breastfeeding and the risk of childhood lymphoma and leukaemia. Int J Epidemiol 24: 27–32. , , , , , .
- 1998. Interindividual variation in the metabolic activation of heterocyclic amines and their N-hydroxy derivatives in primary cultures of human mammary epithelial cells. Carcinogenesis 19: 873–879. , , , , .
- 2000. Conversion of α-lactalbumin to a protein inducing apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 4221–4226. , , , , .
- 1987. Incidence of female breast cancer among atomic bomb survivors, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, 1950–1980. Radiat Res 112: 243–272. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Genotoxic agents in human milk. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res 42: 601. , , .
- 2001. Single nucleotide polymorphisms, metabolic activation and environmental carcinogenesis: why molecular epidemiologists should think about enzyme expression. Carcinogenesis 22: 209–214. .
- 2000. Mammary expression of xenobiotic metabolizing enzymes and their potential role in breast cancer. Cancer Res 60: 4667–4677. , .
- 1998. Determination of the enzymes responsible for activation of the heterocyclic amine 2-amino-3-methylimidazo[4,5-f]quinoline in the human breast. Pharmacogenetics 8: 519–528. , , , , , .
- 2000. Pathways of heterocyclic amine activation in the breast: DNA adducts of 2-amino-3-methylimidazo[4,5-f]quinoline (IQ) formed by peroxidases and in human mammary epithelial cells and fibroblasts. Mutagenesis 15: 149–154. , , , , .
- 2001. N-Acetyltransferases, sulfotransferases and heterocyclic amine activation in the breast. Pharmacogenetics 11: 373–388. , , , , , , , , .
- World Health Organization (WHO). 1997. The World Health Report. Geneva: WHO.
- 2000. Lactation reduces breast cancer risk in Shandong Province, China. Am J Epidemiol 152: 1129–1135. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Sulfotransferase 1A1 polymorphism, endogenous estrogen exposure, well-done meat intake, and breast cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 10: 89–94. , , , , , .