Epigenetics of breast cancer: Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons as risk factors
Article first published online: 8 MAR 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis
Volume 39, Issue 2-3, pages 235–244, 2002
How to Cite
Jeffy, B. D., Chirnomas, R. B. and Romagnolo, D. F. (2002), Epigenetics of breast cancer: Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons as risk factors. Environ. Mol. Mutagen., 39: 235–244. doi: 10.1002/em.10051
- Issue published online: 29 MAR 2002
- Article first published online: 8 MAR 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 NOV 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 5 NOV 2001
- Manuscript Received: 17 OCT 2001
- The Arizona Disease Control Research Commission. Grant Numbers: 9722, 10017
- NIEHS. Grant Number: P30-ES06694
- U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command. Grant Number: DAMD17-00-1-0130
- Graduate Training Program in Environmental Toxicology. Grant Number: ES-07091-22
- American Cancer Society (ACS). 2000. Cancer facts and figures.
- 1998. Regulation of BRCA1 and BRCA2 expression in human breast cancer cells by DNA-damaging agents. Oncogene 16: 2229–2241. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Tumor suppressor p53 is required to modulate BRCA1 expression. Mol Cell Biol 20: 7450–7459. , , , , , , , .
- 1981. Identifying human cells capable of metabolizing various classes of carcinogens. J Supramol Struct Cell Biochem 16: 269–279. , , , .
- 1997. Identification of benzo[a]pyrene-inducible cis-acting elements within c-Ha-ras transcriptional regulatory sequences. Mol Pharmacol 52: 974–982. , .
- 1997. Disruption of transcription in vitro and gene expression in vivo by DNA adducts derived from a benzo[a]pyrene diol epoxide located in heterologous sequences. Carcinogenesis 18: 239–244. , , , , , .
- 1996. BRCA1 is a 220-kDa nuclear phosphoprotein that is expressed and phosphorylated in a cell cycle-dependent manner. Cancer Res 56: 3168–3172. , , , , , .
- 2000. Roles of BRCA1 and its interacting proteins. Bioessays 22: 728–737. , .
- 1996. Preferential formation of benzo[a]pyrene adducts at lung cancer mutational hotspots in p53. Science 274: 430–432. , , , .
- 1999. DNA reactions, mutagenic action and stealth properties of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon carcinogens [review]. Int J Oncol 14: 103–111. , , , , .
- 1995. Different response of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD)-sensitive genes in human breast cancer MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231 cells. Arch Biochem Biophys 321: 405–412. , , .
- 1994. BRCA1 mutations in primary breast and ovarian carcinomas. Science 266: 120–122. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. α-Naphthoflavone acts as an antagonist of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin by forming an inactive complex with the Ah receptor. Mol Pharmacol 40: 607–612. , .
- 1998. BRCA1 required for transcription-coupled repair of oxidative DNA damage. Science 281: 1009–1012. , , , , .
- 1994. Mutations in the p53 tumor suppressor gene: clues to cancer etiology and molecular pathogenesis. Cancer Res 54: 4855–4878. , , , .
- 1995. Hormone-dependent regulation of BRCA1 in human breast cancer cells. Cancer Res 55: 444–450. , , , .
- 1991. Benzo-a-pyrene. Environmental partitioning and human exposure. Toxicol Ind Health 7: 141–157. , .
- 1993. Transformation of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor to a DNA-binding form is accompanied by release of the 90 kDa heat-shock protein and increased affinity for 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin. Biochem J 294: 95–101. , .
- 1997. Estrogen does not inhibit 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin-mediated effects in MCF-7 and Hepa 1c1c7 cells. J Biol Chem 272: 30270–30274. , , , .
- 1996. Growth retardation and tumor inhibition by BRCA1. Nat Genet 12: 298–302. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Physicochemical and immunocytochemical analysis of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor nuclear translocator: characterization of two monoclonal antibodies to the aryl hydrocarbon receptor nuclear translocator. Mol Pharmacol 46: 618–626. , .
- 1999. Inhibition of BRCA-1 expression by benzo[a]pyrene and its diol epoxide. Mol Carcinogen 26: 100–118. , , , , , .
- 2000. Disruption of cell cycle kinetics by benzo[a]pyrene: inverse expression patterns of BRCA-1 and p53 in MCF-7 cells arrested in S and G2. Neoplasia 2: 460–470. , , , .
- 2002. Activation of the aromatic hydrocarbon receptor pathway is not sufficient for transcriptional repression of BRCA-1: requirements for metabolism of benzo[a]pyrene to BPDE. Cancer Res 62: 113–121. , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of 200 food items for benzo[a]pyrene and estimation of its intake in an epidemiologic study. Food Chem Toxicol 39: 423–436. , , , , .
- 1997. Cellular response to DNA damage from a potent carcinogen involves stabilization of p53 without induction of p21(waf1/cip1). Carcinogenesis 18: 2313–2318. , , .
- 1998. DNA adduct levels associated with p53 induction and delay of MCF-7 cells in S phase after exposure to benzo[g]chrysene dihydrodiol epoxide enantiomers. Mol Carcinogen 23: 115–120. , , , , , .
- 1997. Cancer-susceptibility genes: gatekeepers and caretakers. Nature 386: 761–763. , .
- 1995. Molecular mechanism of inhibition of estrogen-induced cathepsin-D gene expression by 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) in MCF-7 Cells. Mol Cell Biol 15: 6710–6719. , , , , .
- 1997. A BRCA1 mutant alters G2-M cell cycle control in human mammary epithelial cells. Cancer Res 57: 3351–3355. , , .
- 1991. The formation and occurrence of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons associated with food. Mutat Res 259: 251–261. .
- 2000. Repression of BRCA-1 through a feedback loop involving p53. J. Biol Chem 275: 31869–31875. , , , .
- 1995. Binding of the transcription factor Sp1 to non-target sites in DNA modified by benzo[a]pyrene diol epoxide. Carcinogenesis 16: 975–983. , , .
- 1997. BRCA1 expression is not directly responsive to estrogen. Oncogene 14: 115–121. , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. The mechanism of action of α-naphthoflavone as an inhibitor of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin-induced CYP1A1 gene expression. Arch Biochem Biophys 281: 84–89. , , .
- 1992. The transcriptional transactivation function of wild-type p53 is inhibited by SV40 large T-antigen and by HPV-16 E6 oncoprotein. EMBO J 11: 5013–5020. , , , .
- 1994. A strong candidate for the breast and ovarian cancer susceptibility gene BRCA1. Science 266: 66–71. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Environmental factors as regulators and effectors of multistep carcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis 20: 519–527. , , .
- 1994. Benzo[a]pyrene-resistant MCF-7 human breast cancer cells: a unique aryl hydrocarbon-nonresponsive clone. J Biol Chem 269: 11751–11759. , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Cellular responses to oxidative stress: the [Ah] gene battery as a paradigm. Environ Health Perspect 88: 13–25. , ,
- 1999. Prevalence of BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations in patients with early-onset breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 91: 943–949. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. The cytosolic receptor binding affinities and AHH induction potencies of 29 polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons. Toxicol Lett 34: 67–74. , , , .
- 1995. Differential mutagenicity and cytotoxicity of (+/−)-benzo[a]pyrene-trans-7,8-dihydrodiol and (+/−)-anti-benzo[a]pyrene-trans-7,8-dihydrodiol-9,10-epoxide in genetically engineered human fibroblasts. Mol Carcinog 12: 91–102. , , , , .
- 1996. BRCA2 is coordinately regulated with BRCA1 during proliferation and differentiation in mammary epithelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 13078–13083. , , , .
- 1996. Antisense RNA to the putative tumor suppressor gene BRCA1 transforms mouse fibroblasts. Oncogene 12: 523–528. , , , , .
- 2001. Regulation of subcellular localization of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AhR). Arch Biochem Biophys 389: 207–217. , , .
- 1998. Estrogen upregulation of expression of BRCA-1 with no effect on localization. Mol Carcinog 22: 102–109. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Contrasting incidence of ras mutations in rat mammary and mouse skin tumors induced by anti-benzo[c]phenanthrene-3,4-diol-1,2-epoxide. Carcinogenesis 15: 2113–2116. , , , , .
- 2001. Molecular biology of the Ah receptor and its role in carcinogenesis. Toxicol Lett 120: 1–7. .
- 1995. Chlorinated hydrocarbons: estrogens and antiestrogens. Toxicol Lett 82/83: 731–736. , .
- 1999. Development of selective aryl hydrocarbon receptor modulators (SAhRMs) for treatment of breast cancer. Exp Opin Invest Drugs 8: 1385–1396. , , .
- 2000. Biomonitoring of exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons of nonoccupationally exposed persons. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 9: 373–380. , , , , .
- 1997. Dynamic changes of BRCA1 subnuclear localization and phosphorylation state are initiated by DNA damage. Cell 90: 1–20. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Cell cycle control, checkpoint mechanisms, and genotoxic stress. Environ Health Perspect 107: 5–24. , , .
- 1997. Embyonic lethality and radiation hypersensitivity mediated by Rad51 in mice lacking BRCA2. Nature 386: 804–810. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in breast cancer families with multiple primary cancers. Clin Cancer Res 6: 4259–4264. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Arrest of the cell cycle by the tumour-suppressor BRCA1 requires the CDK-inhibitor p21WAF1/CiPI. Nature 389: 187–190. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Differential expression of CYP1A1 and CYP1B1 in human breast epithelial cells and breast tumor cells. Carcinogenesis 19: 291–298. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Characterization of DNA adducts formed by the four configurationally isomeric 5,6-dimethylchrysene 1,2-dihydrodiol 3,4-epoxides. Chem Res Toxicol 10: 378–385. , , , , , .
- 1997. Induction of phosphorylation on BRCA1 during the cell cycle and after DNA damage. Cell Growth Differ 8: 801–809. , , , , .
- 1995. Decreased expression of BRCA1 accelerates growth and is often present during sporadic breast cancer progression. Nat Genet 9: 444–450. , , , , .
- 1996. Benzo[a]pyrene diol epoxide-induced chromosomal aberrations and risk of lung cancer. Cancer Res 56: 3975–3979. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Dose-dependent differences in the profile of mutations induced by an ultimate carcinogen from benzo[a]pyrene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 11227–11230. , , , , , , , , , , .