This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
Carcinogen–DNA adducts in human breast epithelial cells †
Version of Record online: 8 MAR 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis
Volume 39, Issue 2-3, pages 184–192, 2002
How to Cite
Gorlewska-Roberts, K., Green, B., Fares, M., Ambrosone, C.B. and Kadlubar, F.F. (2002), Carcinogen–DNA adducts in human breast epithelial cells . Environ. Mol. Mutagen., 39: 184–192. doi: 10.1002/em.10060
- Issue online: 29 MAR 2002
- Version of Record online: 8 MAR 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 NOV 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 26 NOV 2001
- Manuscript Received: 21 NOV 2001
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education
- 1999. Smoking as a risk factor for breast cancer. In: BowcockA, editor. Breast cancer: molecular genetics, pathogenesis and therapeutics. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press. , .
- 1992. Human biomonitoring and the 32P-postlabeling assay. Carcinogenesis 13: 1052–1074. , .
- 2001. Detection of PhIP (2-amino-1- methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b]pyridine) in the milk of healthy women. Chem Res Toxicol 14(11): 1523–1528. , , .
- 2001. Meat intake, heterocyclic amines, and risk of breast cancer: a case-control study in Uruguay. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 6: 573–581. , , , , .
- 1995. Chemically induced mammary gland cancer in the National Toxicology Program's carcinogenesis bioassay. Carcinogenesis 16: 173–190. , , , .
- 1992. Environmental carcinogens that may be involved in human breast cancer etiology. Chem Res Toxicol 5: 585–590. .
- 1997. Genotoxicity of environmental agents in human mammary epithelial cells: a trigger for human breast cancer. Progress in Clin. & Biol. Res. 396: 125–131. , , .
- 1996. Estrogens and breast cancer. Carcinogenesis 17: 2279–2284. , .
- 1993. Risk factors for breast cancer development. Cancer 71: 2127–2140. .
- 1992. Human cancer: epidemiology and environmental causes. Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press. p 377–387. , , .
- 1996. The role of peroxidase-catalyzed activation of aromatic amines in breast cancer. Mutagenesis 11: 3–7. .
- 1987. Metabolism and DNA binding of carcinogenic aromatic amines. ISI atlas of science. Pharmacology 1: 129–132. .
- 1994. DNA adducts of carcinogenic aromatic amines. IARC Sci Publ 125: 199–216. .
- 1980. In vitro reaction of the carcinogen N-hydroxy-2-naphtylamine with DNA at the C8 and N2 atoms of guanine and at the N6 atom of adenine. Carcinogenesis 1: 139–150. , , , , .
- 1985. Breastfeeding: a guide for the medical profession. St. Louis: Mosby. .
- 1996. Kinetics of arylamine N-acetyltransferase in tissues from human breast cancer. Cancer Lett 111: 39–50. , , , , .
- 1996. Aromatic DNA adducts in adjacent tissues of breast cancer patients: clues to breast cancer etiology. Cancer Res 56: 287–293. , , , .
- 1992. Identification of N-(deoxyguanosin-8-yl)-2-amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b]pyridine as the major adduct formed by the food-borne carcinogen, 2-amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b]pyridine, with DNA. Chem Res Toxicol 5: 691–697. , , , , , .
- 1996. Genotoxicity of human mammary lipid. Cancer Res 56: 5342–5346. , , , , , .
- 1992. The role of aromatic hydrocarbons in the genesis of breast cancer. Med Hypotheses 38: 177–184. , .
- 1994. Dietary carcinogens and mammary carcinogens: induction of net mammary carcinomas by administration of heterocyclic amines in cooked foods. Cancer (Philadelphia) 74: 1063–1069. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Isolation and chemical-structural determination of a novel aromatic amine mutagen in water from the Nishitakase River in Kyoto. Chem Res Toxicol 10: 1061–1066. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Sampling of airborne aromatic amines. Anal Chem 59: 58–62. , , .
- 1999. Estimates of worldwide incidences of 25 major cancers in 1990. Int J Cancer 80: 827–841. , , .
- 1995. Carcinogen-DNA adducts in human breast tissue. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 4: 233–238. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. New gas chromatographic/mass spectrometry method for the quantitative analysis of primary aromatic amines in main and sidestream cigarette smoke. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 6: 406–409. , , .
- 1999. DNA adducts of heterocyclic amine food mutagens: implications for mutagenesis and carcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis 20: 353–368. , .
- 1994. Some perspectives on the nutritional aspects of breast cancer research. Food derived heterocyclic amines as etiologic agents in human mammary cancer. Cancer (Philadelphia) 74: 1070–1077. .
- 1999. Dietary heterocyclic amines and breast cancer. Women & Cancer (J Women's Cancers) 1: 21–29. .
- 1994. Metabolic activation of N-hydroxy-4-acetylaminobiphenyl by cultured human breast epithelial cell line MCF 10A. Carcinogenesis 15: 611–617. , , .
- 1998. Exfoliated ductal epithelial cells in human breast milk: a source of target tissue DNA for molecular epidemiologic studies of breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 7: 37–42. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Evidence for the presence of mutagenic arylamines in human breast milk and DNA adducts in exfoliated breast-ductal epithelial cells. Environ Mol Mutagen 39: 134–142. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Consumption of meat, animal products, protein, and fat and risk of breast cancer: a prospective cohort study in New York. Epidemiology 5: 391–397. , , , .
- 1992. Characterization of DNA adducts formed in vitro by reaction of N-hydroxy-2-amino-3-methylimidazo[4,5-f]quinoline and N-hydroxy-2-amino-3,8-dimethylimidazo[4,5-f]quinoxaline at the C8 and N2 atoms of guanine. Chem Res Toxicol 5: 479–490. , , , , .
- 2001. Mammary expression of xenobiotic metabolizing enzymes and their potential role in breast cancer. Cancer Res 60: 4667–4677. , .
- 1996. Breast cancer and environmental risk factors: epidemiological and experimental findings. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 36: 573–596. , , , .
- 1998. Well-done meat intake and the risk of breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 90: 1724–1729. , , , , , , , , , .