p53 As a mutagen test in breast cancer
Article first published online: 8 MAR 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis
Volume 39, Issue 2-3, pages 216–227, 2002
How to Cite
Hill, K. A. and Sommer, S. S. (2002), p53 As a mutagen test in breast cancer. Environ. Mol. Mutagen., 39: 216–227. doi: 10.1002/em.10065
- Issue published online: 29 MAR 2002
- Article first published online: 8 MAR 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 NOV 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 7 NOV 2001
- Manuscript Received: 25 SEP 2001
- 1993. Aflatoxin B1 induces the transversion of GT in codon 249 of the p53 tumor suppressor gene in human hepatocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 8586–8590. , , .
- 1990. p53 gene mutations occur in combination with 17p allelic deletions as late events in colorectal tumorigenesis. Cancer Res 50: 7717–7722. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Prognostic value of the immunohistochemical expression of p53 in breast carcinomas: a review of the literature involving over 9,000 patients. Appl Immunohistochem 4: 106–116. .
- 1990. Genetic and immunochemical analysis of mutant p53 in human breast cancer cell lines. Oncogene 5: 893–899. , , , .
- 1991. Aberrant expression of the p53 oncoprotein is a common feature of a wide spectrum of human malignancies. Oncogene 6: 1699–1703. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Immunohistochemical analysis of the p53 oncoprotein on paraffin sections using a series of novel monoclonal antibodies. J Pathol 169: 27–31. , , , , , .
- 1978. Adipose tissue, a neglected factor in aetiology of breast cancer? Lancet 2: 296. , .
- 1993. Does a genotoxic carcinogen contribute to human breast cancer? The value of mutational spectra in unravelling the aetiology of cancer. Mutagenesis 8: 275–283. , , , .
- 1994. Novel pattern of p53 gene mutations in an American black cohort with high mortality from breast cancer. Lancet 343: 1195–1197. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Rapid and efficient screening for p53 gene mutations by dideoxyfingerprinting (ddF). BioTechniques 18: 256–260. , , , , , .
- 1996. Molecular epidemiology of breast cancers in northern and southern Japan: the frequency, clustering, and patterns of p53 gene mutations differ among these two low-risk populations. Oncogene 13: 2159–2166. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. A prospective trial of midwest breast cancer patients: a p53 gene mutation is the most important predictor of adverse outcome. Int J Cancer 89: 32–38. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Cancer statistics, 1994. CA Cancer J Clin 44: 7–26. , , , .
- 1991. Why does the human factor IX gene have a G + C content of 40%? Am J Hum Genet 49: 839–850. , , , , , , .
- 1993. The pattern of spontaneous germline mutation: relative rates of mutation at or near CpG dinucleotides in the factor IX gene. Hum Genet 91: 496–503. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. A role for sunlight in skin cancer: UV-induced p53 mutations in squamous cell carcinoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 10124–10128. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Selective G to T mutations of p53 gene in hepatocellular carcinoma from southern Africa. Nature 350: 429–431. , , , .
- 1996. Increased mutation frequency and altered spectrum in one of four thymic lymphomas derived from tumor prone p53/Big Blue transgenic mice. Oncogene 13: 2407–2413. , , , , , .
- 1997. Spontaneous mutation frequencies and spectra in p53 (+/+) and p53 (−/−) mice: a test of the “guardian of the genome” hypothesis in the Big Blue transgenic mouse mutation detection system. Mutat Res 379: 13–20. , , , , , .
- 1986. Neighboring base effects on substitution rates in pseudogenes. Mol Biol Evol 3: 322–329. .
- 1994. Nutritional risk factors for breast cancer [review]. Cancer 74: 288–295. .
- 1999. Prognostic significance of p53 mutation in breast cancer: frequent detection of non-missense mutations by yeast functional assay. Int J Cancer 84: 587–593. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Carcinogens preferentially bind at methylated CpG in the p53 mutational hot spots. Cancer Res 58: 2070–2075. , , , .
- 1990. Mutations in the p53 gene are frequent in primary, resected non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer Study Group. Oncogene 5: 1603–1610. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Diet and breast cancer: review of the epidemiologic literature. Cancer Detect Prev 21: 426–440. , , .
- 2000. Trends in breast cancer incidence, survival, and mortality [letter]. Lancet 356: 590–591. .
- 1993. Trends in cancer incidence and mortality. IARC Sci Publ 121: 1–806. , , , , .
- 1991. Relation between p53 overexpression and established prognostic factors in breast cancer. Surgery 110: 259–264. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Novel hotspot detector software reveals a non-CpG hotspot of germline mutation in the factor IX gene (F9) in Latin Americans. Hum Mutat 16: 203–210. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Environmental carcinogens that may be involved in human breast cancer etiology. Chem Res Toxicol 5: 585–590. .
- 2002. The relative rates of ancient germline mutations during human evolution are similar to those of recent germline mutations. Hum Mutat 19: 49–57. , , , , .
- 1995. DNA repair and mutagenesis. Washington, DC: ASM Press. 694 p , , .
- 2001. Workshop report: identification of research needs breast cancer etiology. Chronic Dis Can 22: 41–49. , .
- 1982. Patterns of nucleotide substitution in pseudogenes and functional genes. J Mol Evol 18: 360–369. , , .
- 1993. Germline mutations in the factor IX gene: a comparison of the pattern in Caucasians and non-Caucasians. Hum Mol Genet 2: 293–298. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Mutations in the p53 tumor suppressor gene: clues to cancer etiology and molecular pathogenesis. Cancer Res 54: 4855–4878. , , , .
- 1993. Influence of cigarette smoking and schistosomiasis on p53 gene mutation in urothelial cancer. Cancer Res 53: 3795–3799. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996a. Structure and function of the p53 tumor suppressor gene: clues for rational cancer therapeutic strategies. J Natl Cancer Inst 88: 1442–1455. .
- 1996b. 53 tumor suppressor gene: from the basic research laboratory to the clinic—an abridged historical perspective. Carcinogenesis 17: 1187–1198. .
- 1993. Clinical implications of the p53 tumor-suppressor gene. N Engl J Med 329: 1318–1327. , .
- 1998. Adsorption of a hydrophobic mutagen to cereal brans and cereal bran dietary fibres. Mutat Res 412: 323–331. , , , , , .
- 1995a. p53 gene mutations inside and outside of exons 5–8: the patterns differ in breast and other cancers. Oncogene 10: 681–688. , , , , , , , .
- 1995b. Novel pattern of p53 mutation in breast cancers from Austrian women. J Clin Invest 95: 686–689. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. High frequency of p53 mutations in primary breast cancers in Japanese women, a low-incidence population. Br J Cancer 73: 896–901. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Toward efficient analysis of mutations in single cells from ethanol-fixed, paraffin-emmbedded and immunohistochemically-stained tissues. Laboratory Investigations (in press). , , , , , , .
- 1998. Germline mutations in Peruvian patients with hemophilia B: pattern of mutation in AmerIndians is similar to the putative endogenous germline pattern. Hum Mutat 11: 372–376. , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Fatty acid composition of phospholipids and neutral lipids and lipid peroxidation in human breast cancer and lipoma tissue. Carcinogenesis 7: 1965–1969. , , , .
- 1992. Human cancer: epidemiology and environmental causes. In: Anonymous. Cambridge Monographs on Cancer Research. Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press. p 377–387. , , .
- 1991. Mutational hotspot in the p53 gene in human hepatocellular carcinomas. Nature 350: 427–428. , , , , , .
- 1996. Cohort studies of fat intake and the risk of breast cancer—a pooled analysis [see comments]. N Engl J Med 334: 356–361. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. p53 mutation spectrum and load: the generation of hypotheses linking the exposure of endogenous or exogenous carcinogens to human cancer. Mutat Res 428: 23–32. , .
- 2000. Trends in breast cancer incidence, survival, and mortality [letter]. Lancet 356: 592–593. , .
- 1992. A mammalian cell cycle checkpoint pathway utilizing p53 and GADD45 is defective in ataxia-telangiectasia. Cell 71: 587–597. , , , , , , , ,
- 1994. The rates of G:CT:A and G:CC:G transversions at CpG dinucleotides in the human factor IX gene. Am J Hum Genet 54: 831–835. , , .
- 1991. Direct sequencing from touch preparations of human carcinomas: analysis of p53 mutations in breast carcinomas. J Natl Cancer Inst 83: 1004–1009. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Mutation detection by highly sensitive methods indicates that p53 gene mutations in breast cancer can have important prognostic value. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 1093–1096. , , , , , .
- 1992. p53, guardian of the genome. Nature 358: 15–16. .
- 1993. Aberrations of p53 gene in human hepatocellular carcinoma from China. Carcinogenesis 14: 169–173. , , , , .
- 1984. Nonrandomness of point mutation as reflected in nucleotide substitutions in pseudogenes and its evolutionary implications. J Mol Evol 21: 58–71. , , .
- 2000. Factor IX mutations in South Africans and African Americans are compatible with primarily endogenous influences upon recent germline mutations. Hum Mutat Mutation in Brief Online 367. , , , , .
- 2000. The human factor IX gene as germline mutagen test: samples from mainland China have the putatively endogenous pattern of mutation. Hum Mutat 16: 31–36. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Altered cell cycle arrest and gene amplification potential accompany loss of wild-type p53. Cell 70: 923–935. , , , , , .
- 1992. Effect of varying the type of fat in a semi-purified AIN-76A diet on cellular proliferation in the mammary gland and intestinal crypts in female Swiss Webster mice. Carcinogenesis 13: 1735–1741. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. p53-dependent apoptosis modulates the cytotoxicity of anticancer agents. Cell 74: 957–967. , , , .
- 2000. DNA adduct formation and molecular analysis of in vivo lacI mutations in the mammary tissue of Big Blue“ rats treated with 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene. Carcinogenesis 21: 265–273. , , , , .
- 1997. DNA damage in breast epithelial cells: detection by the single-cell gel (comet) assay and induction by human mammary lipid extracts. Carcinogenesis 18: 2299–2305. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998a. Morphological transformation of C3H/M2 mouse fibroblasts by extracts of human mammary lipid. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 251: 182–189. , , , , , , , .
- 1998b. DNA strand breaks and cell transformation induced by human mammary lipid extracts. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res 39: 5734–5739. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Genotoxicity of human milk extracts and detection of DNA damage in exfoliated cells recovered from breast milk. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 259: 319–326. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Studying environmental influences and breast cancer risk: suggestions for an integrated population-based approach. Breast Cancer Res Treat 35: 79–89. , , , .
- 1999. The contribution of exogenous and endogenous mutagens to in vivo mutations. Mutat Res 428: 11–15. , .
- 1980. Mutagenic activity in nipple aspirates of human breast fluid [letter]. Cancer Res 40: 188–189. , , , .
- 1990. Evidence that p53 behaves as a tumour suppressor gene in sporadic breast tumours. Oncogene 5: 1573–1579. , , , .
- 1994. First report on UK database of haemophilia B mutations and pedigrees. Thromb Haemost 71: 563–570. , , , , , .
- 1994. p53 gene mutations in breast cancers in Midwestern U.S. women: null as well as missense-type mutations are associated with poor prognosis. Oncogene 9: 2869–2875. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. p53 deficiency does not affect the accumulation of point mutations in a transgene target. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 8517–8521. , , , , , .
- 1992. Dideoxy fingerprinting (ddF): a rapid and efficient screen for the presence of mutations. Genomics 13: 441–443. , , .
- 1992. p53 mutations cluster at codon 249 in hepatitis B virus-positive hepatocellular carcinomas from China. Cancer Res 52: 1635–1638. , , , .
- 1996. Mutagenic response of the endogenous hprt gene and lacI transgene in benzo[a]pyrene-treated Big Blue B6C3F1 mice. Environ Mol Mutagen 28: 376–384. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Mutagen test. Nature 346: 22–23. .
- 1994. Does cancer kill the individual and save the species? Hum Mutat 3: 166–169. .
- 1993. A postulated mechanism for deletions with inversions. Am J Hum Genet 52: 1016–1018. , .
- 2001. Human germline mutation in the factor IX gene. Mutat Res 487: 1–17. , , .
- 1990. Structural aspects of the p53 protein in relation to gene evolution. Oncogene 5: 945–952. , , .
- 1994. Multifactorial analysis of p53 alteration in human cancer: a review. Int J Cancer 57: 1–9. , , , , .
- 1991. The pathology of breast cancer in Japanese women compared to other ethnic groups: a review. Breast Cancer Res Treat 18: S67–S72. .
- 1993. p53 mutations in lung cancers from non-smoking atomic-bomb survivors. Lancet 342: 1520–1521. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Molecular epidemiology of factor IX germline mutations in Mexican Hispanics: pattern of mutation and potential founder effects. Thromb Haemost 74: 1416–1422. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Loss of chromosome 17p13 sequences and mutation of p53 in human breast carcinomas. Oncogene 6: 413–421. , , , , , .
- 1996. Frequency and spectrum of ethylnitrosourea-induced mutation at the hprt and lacI loci in splenic lymphocytes of exposed lacI transgenic mice. Cancer Res 56: 4654–4661. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Interrelationship between dietary lipids and calories and experimental mammary gland tumorigenesis. Cancer 74: 1055–1062. .
- 1991. DNA deaminating ability and genotoxicity of nitric oxide and its progenitors. Science 254: 1001–1003. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Dietary fat and carcinogenesis. Mutat Res 443: 111–127. , , , .
- 1989. Breast fluid cholesterol and cholesterol beta-epoxide concentrations in women with benign breast disease [published erratum appears in Cancer Res 1989 Jul 1;49(13):3710]. Cancer Res 49: 2168–2174. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Breast cancer: weighing the evidence for a promoting role of dietary fat [see comments]. J Natl Cancer Inst 89: 766–775. , , , , , .
- 1996. Model of mouse mammary gland hyperproliferation and hyperplasia induced by a Western-style diet. Nutr Cancer 26: 281–287. , , , .
- 1992. Wild-type p53 restores cell cycle control and inhibits gene amplification in cells with mutant p53 alleles. Cell 70: 937–948. , , , , .
- 1993. A comparison of the biological activities of wild-type and mutant p53. FASEB J 7: 855–865. , .
- 1993. Migration patterns and breast cancer risk in Asian-American women. J Natl Cancer Inst 85: 1819–1827. , , , , , , , , , , .