Epigenetic control of plant stress response
Article first published online: 18 OCT 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis
Volume 49, Issue 1, pages 61–72, January 2008
How to Cite
Boyko, A. and Kovalchuk, I. (2008), Epigenetic control of plant stress response. Environ. Mol. Mutagen., 49: 61–72. doi: 10.1002/em.20347
- Issue published online: 14 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 18 OCT 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 SEP 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 28 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAY 2007
- Alberta Ingenuity
- 2006. Role of the Arabidopsis DNA glycosylase/lyase ROS1 in active DNA demethylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 11796–11801. , , .
- 2006. An RNA-dependent RNA polymerase is required for paramutation in maize. Nature 442: 295–298. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Disruption of the plant gene MOM releases transcriptional silencing of methylated genes. Nature 405: 203–206. , , , , .
- 2004. Stress-induced cell reprogramming. A role for global genome regulation? Plant Physiol 136: 2579–2586. .
- 2002. HDA6, a putative histone deacetylase needed to enhance DNA methylation induced by double-stranded RNA. EMBO J 21: 6832–6841. , , , , .
- 2001. Arabidopsis cmt3 chromomethylase mutations block non-CG methylation and silencing of an endogenous gene. Genes Dev 15: 1753–1758. , , .
- 2002. The mechanism and regulation of chromosomal V(D)J recombination. Cell 109: S45–S55. , , .
- 2001. Three Tnt1 subfamilies show different stress-associated pattern of expression in tobacco. Consequences for retrotransposon control and evolution in plants. Plant Physiol 127: 212–221. , , , .
- 2004. DNA methylation and epigenetics. Annu Rev Plant Biol 55: 41–68. .
- 2001. Epigenetic crosstalk. Mol Cell 8: 933–935. , .
- 2005. Endogenous siRNAs derived from a pair of natural cis-antisense transcripts regulate salt tolerance in Arabidopsis. Cell 123: 1279–1291. , , , , .
- 2006. Increase of homologous recombination frequency in vascular tissue of Arabidopsis plants exposed to salt stress. Plant Cell Physiol 47: 736–742. , , , , .
- 2007. Transgenerational changes in the genome stability and methylation in pathogen-infected plants: (Virus-induced plant genome instability). Nucleic Acids Res 35: 1714–1725. , , , , , .
- 2002a. Locus-specific control of asymmetric and CpNpG methylation by the DRN and CMT3 methyltransferase genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 4: 16491–16498. , .
- 2002b. Role of the Arabidopsis DRM methyltransferases in de novo DNA methylation and gene silencing. Curr Biol 12: 1138–1144. , .
- 2000. Conserved plant genes with similarity to mammalian de novo DNA methyltransferases. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 4979–4984. , , , , , .
- 2003. Role of the DRM, CMT3 methyltransferases in RNA-directed DNA methylation. Curr Biol 13: 2212–2217. , , , , , , .
- 2006. RNAi, DRD1, and histone methylation actively target developmentally important non-CG DNA methylation in Arabidopsis. PLoS Genet 2: e83 , , , , , .
- 2000. Paramutation in maize. Plant Mol Biol 43: 121–145. , , .
- 2004. A microRNA as a translational repressor of APETALA2 in Arabidopsis flower development. Science 303: 2022–2025. .
- 2005. A site-specific insertion sequence in flax genotrophs induced by environment. New Phytologist 167: 171–180. , , .
- 2002. DEMETER, a DNA glycosylase domain protein, is required for endosperm gene imprinting and seeds viability in Arabidopsis. Cell 110: 33–42. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The transcriptional enhancer of the pea plastocyanin gene associates with the nuclear matrix and regulates gene expression through histone acetylation. Plant Cell 15: 1468–1479. , , .
- 2005. Mechanisms and control of rapid genomic changes in flax. Ann Bot (Lond) 95: 201–206. .
- 2003. siRNAs can function as miRNAs. Genes Dev 17: 438–442. , , .
- 2006. Rapid adaptive divergence of life-history traits in response to abiotic stress within a natural population of a parthenogenetic nematode. Proc Biol Sci 273: 2611–2618. , , .
- 2006. Effect of hypermethylation of CCWGG sequences in DNA of Mesembryanthemum crystallinum plants on their adaptation to salt stress. Biochemistry (Mosc) 71: 461–465. , , , , , .
- 1996. Reduced DNA methylation in Arabidopsis thaliana results in abnormal plant development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 8449–8454. , , .
- 1998a. DNA methylation and the promotion of flowering by vernalization. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 5824–5829. , , , , .
- 1998b. DNA methylation in plants. Annu Rev Plant Physiol Plant Mol Biol 49: 223–247. , , , .
- 2001. Mutations in LIKE HETEROCHROMATIN PROTEIN 1 affect flowering time and plant architecture in Arabidopsis. Development 128: 4847–4858. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Chromatin remodeling, histone modifications, and DNA methylation-how does it all fit together? J Cell Biochem 87: 117–125. , .
- 2002. ROS1, a repressor of transcriptional gene silencing in Arabidopsis, encodes a DNA glycosylase/lyase. Cell 111: 803–814. , , , , , .
- 2001. Enzymatic properties of recombinant Dnmt3a DNA methyltransferase from mouse: The enzyme modifies DNA in a non-processive manner and also methylates non-CpG [correction of non-CpA] sites. J Mol Biol 309: 1201–1208. , .
- 2003. Heterochromatin and epigenetic control of gene expression. Science 301: 798–802. , .
- 2000. Elevated levels of intrachromosomal homologous recombination in Arabidopsis overexpressing the MIM gene. Plant J 24: 183–189. , , , .
- 2003. Temperature shift coordinately changes the activity and the methylation state of transposon Tam3 in Antirrhinum majus. Plant Physiol 132: 1207–1216. , , , .
- 2006. The temperature-dependent change in methylation of the Antirrhinum transposon Tam3 is controlled by the activity of its transposase. Plant Cell 18: 104–118. , , , , , .
- 2001. ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling activities. Cell Mol Life Sci 58: 673–682. , , .
- 2004. Control of Arabidopsis flowering: the chill before the bloom. Development 131: 3829–3838. , .
- 1996. Retrotransposons of rice involved in mutations induced by tissue culture. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 7783–7788. , , , , .
- 2002. Control of CpNpG DNA methylation by the KRYPTONITE histone H3 methyltransferase. Nature 416: 556–560. , , , .
- 2003. Histone modifications in Arabidopsis-high methylation of H3 lysine 9 is dispensable for constitutive heterochromatin. Plant J 33: 471–480. , , , , , .
- 1999. Maintenance of genomic methylation requires a SWI2/SNF2-like protein. Nat Genet 22: 94–97. , , .
- 2003. An active DNA transposon family in rice. Nature 421: 163–167. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Interplay between two epigenetic marks. DNA methylation and histone H3 lysine 9 methylation. Curr Biol 12: 1360–1367. , , .
- 2004. microRNA-mediated repression of rolled leaf1 specifies maize leaf polarity. Nature 428: 84–88. , , , , .
- 1996. Developmental abnormalities and epimutations associated with DNA hypomethylation mutations. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 12406–12411. , , , , .
- 1999. Meiotically and mitotically stable inheritance of DNA hypomethylation induced by ddm1 mutation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 151: 831–838. , , , .
- 2000. Genome evolution of wild barley (Hordeum spontaneum) by BARE-1 retrotransposon dynamics in response to sharp microclimatic divergence. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 6603–6607. , , , , .
- 2003. Arabidopsis MET1 cytosine methyltransferase mutants. Genetics 163: 1109–1122. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Involvement of putative SNF2 chromatin remodeling protein DRD1 in RNA-directed DNA methylation. Curr Biol 14: 801–805. , , , , , .
- 2005a. A SNF2-like protein facilitates dynamic control of DNA methylation. EMBO Rep 6: 649–655. , , , , , .
- 2005b. Atypical RNA polymerase subunits required for RNA-directed DNA methylation. Nat Genet 37: 761–765. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 18002–18007. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Role of CG, non-CG methylation in immobilization of transposons in Arabidopsis. Curr Biol 13: 421–426. , , , , .
- 2004. Epigenetic control of CACTA transposon mobility in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 168: 961–969. , , .
- 2004. Spatially restricted microRNA directs leaf polarity through ARGONAUTE1. Nature 428: 81–84. , .
- 2004. One-way control of FWA imprinting in Arabidopsis endosperm by DNA methylation. Science 303: 521–523. , , , , , , , .
- 2003a. Pathogen-induced systemic plant signal triggers DNA rearrangements. Nature 423: 760–762. , , , , , , .
- 2003b. Genome hypermethylation in Pinus silvestris of Chernobyl––A mechanism for radiation adaptation? Mutat Res 529: 13–20. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Molecular aspects of plant adaptation to life in the Chernobyl zone. Plant Physiol 135: 357–363. , , , .
- 2001. Methylation of histone H3 lysine 9 creates a binding site for HP1 proteins. Nature 410: 116–120. , , , , .
- 2001. Requirement of CHROMOMETHYLASE3 for maintenance of CpXpG methylation. Science 292: 2077–2080. , , , , , , .
- 2004. siRNAs targeting an intronic transposon in the regulation of natural flowering behavior in Arabidopsis. Genes Dev 18: 2873–2878. , , , .
- 2005. Novel and mechanical stress-responsive MicroRNAs in Populus trichocarpa that are absent from Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 17: 2186–2203. , , , , , .
- 2004. The effect of stress on genome regulation and structure. Ann Botany 94: 481–495. , .
- 2005. RNAi-mediated pathways in the nucleus. Nat Rev Genet 6: 24–35. , .
- 2004. Genetic analysis of RNA-mediated transcriptional gene silencing. Biochim Biophys Acta 1677: 129–141. , , , , , , .
- 2006. RNA-directed DNA Methylation and Pol IVb in Arabidopsis. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 71: 449–459. , , , , .
- 1984. The significance of responses of the genome to challenge. Science 226: 792–801. .
- 2005. Evolving disease resistance genes. Curr Opin Plant Biol 8: 129–134. , , .
- 2003. Attenuation of FLOWERING LOCUS C activity as a mechanism for the evolution of summer-annual flowering behavior in Arabidopsis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 10102–10107. , , , .
- 2001. Mobilization of transposons by a mutation abolishing full DNA methylation in Arabidopsis. Nature 411: 212–214. , , , , , .
- 2005. Dynamic response of plant genome to ultraviolet radiation and other genotoxic stresses. Mutat Res 571: 235–247. , , , , .
- 2006. Transgeneration memory of stress in plants. Nature 442: 1046–1049. , , , .
- 2006. DEMETER and REPRESSOR OF SILENCING 1 encode 5-methylcytosine DNA glycosylases. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 6853–6858. , , , , , .
- 2006. LHP1, the Arabidopsis homologue of HETEROCHROMATIN PROTEIN1, is required for epigenetic silencing of FLC. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 5012–5017. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Pivotal role of AtSUVH2 in heterochromatic histone methylation and gene silencing in Arabidopsis. EMBO J 24: 1418–1429. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. DNA demethylation in the Arabidopsis genome. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104: 6752–6757. , , , , , .
- 2005. The repair of double-strand breaks in plants: Mechanisms and consequences for genome evolution. J Exp Bot 56: 1–14. .
- 2000. Non-CpG methylation is prevalent in embryonic stem cells and may be mediated by DNA methyltransferase 3a. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 5237–5242. , , , , , .
- 2006. RNA-mediated non-mendelian inheritance of an epigenetic change in the mouse. Nature 441: 469–474. , , , , , .
- 1999. CpG methylation reduces genomic instability. J Cell Science 112: 4513–4519. , .
- 2005. The dual nature of homologous recombination in plants. Trends Genet 21: 172–181. , , , .
- 2005. Analysis of DNA methylation related to rice adult plant resistance to bacterial blight based on methylation-sensitive AFLP (MSAP) analysis. Mol Genet Genom 273: 484–490. , , , .
- 2006. Involvement of the Arabidopsis SWI2/SNF2 chromatin remodeling gene family in DNA damage response and recombination. Genetics 173: 985–994. , , .
- 2003. Regulatory network of gene expression in the drought and cold stress responses. Curr Opin Plant Biol 6: 410–417. , , .
- 2001. Robertson's Mutator transposons in A. thaliana are regulated by the chromatin-remodeling gene decrease in DNA methylation (DDM1). Genes Dev 15: 591–602. , , .
- 1997. Evolution of the rice Xa21 disease resistance gene family. Plant Cell 9: 1279–1287. , , , , , .
- 2000. The late flowering phenotype of fwa mutants is caused by gain-of-function epigenetic alleles of a homeodomain gene. Mol Cell 6: 791–802. , , , , , , .
- 2002. DNA methylation controls histone H3 lysine 9 methylation and heterochromatin assembly in Arabidopsis. EMBO J 21: 6549–6559. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of ZmMET1, a gene encoding a DNA methyltransferase from maize, is associated not only with DNA replication in actively proliferating cells, but also with altered DNA methylation status in cold-stressed quiescent cells. Nucleic Acids Res 28: 3250–3259. , , .
- 2002. Periodic DNA methylation in maize nucleosomes and demethylation by environmental stress. J Biol Chem 277: 37741–37746. , , , , .
- 2002. Epigenetic variation in Arabidopsis disease resistance. Genes Dev 16: 171–182. , , .
- 2004. Vernalization and epigenetics: How plants remember winter. Curr Opin Plant Biol 7: 4–10. , .
- 2004. Novel and stress-regulated microRNAs and other small RNAs from Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 16: 2001–2019. , .
- 2007. Small RNAs as a big players in plant abiotic stress responses and nutritient deprivation. Trends Plant Sci 12: 301–309. , , , .
- 2006. DNA methylation and epigenetic inheritance during plant gametogenesis. Chromosoma 115: 27–35. , .
- 1999. A 13-bp cis-regulatory element in the LTR promoter of the tobacco retrotransposon Tto1 is involved in responsiveness to tissue culture, wounding, methyl jasmonate and fungal elicitors. Plant J 18: 383–393. , , , .
- 2004. BRU1, a novel link between responses to DNA damage and epigenetic gene silencing in Arabidopsis. Genes Dev 18: 782–793. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Erasure of CpG methylation in Arabidopsis alters patterns of histone H3 methylation in heterochromatin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 8823–8827. , , , , , .
- 2002. Genome-wide profiling of DNA methylation reveals transposon targets of CHROMOMETHYLASES3. Curr Biol 12: 65–68. , , , , , .
- 2006. Dynamic and reversible changes in histone H3-Lys4 methylation and H3 acetylation occurring at submergence-inducible genes in rice. Plant Cell Physiol 47: 995–1003. , , , , .
- 2006. MOM1 mediates DNA-methylation-independent silencing of repetitive sequences in Arabidopsis. EMBO Rep 7: 1273–1278. , , , .
- 2006. DNA methylation in plants. Curr Topics Microbiol Immunol 301: 67–122. .
- 2004. Association between up-regulation of stress-responsive genes and hypomethylation of genomic DNA in tobacco plants. Mol Genet Genom 271: 658–666. , , , .
- 2003. Chromatin regulation of plant development. Curr Opin Plant Biol 6: 20–28. .
- 2006. How lifetimes shape epigenotype within and across generations. Hum Mol Genet 15 Spec No 2: R131–R137. , .
- 2007. Methyl-CpG-binding domain proteins in plants: Interpreters of DNA methylation. Trends Plant Sci 12: 80–85. , .
- 2005. DDM1 binds Arabidopsis methyl-CpG binding domain proteins and affects their subnuclear localization. Plant Cell 17: 1549–1558. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. 5-Methylcytosine DNA glycosylase activity is also present in the human MBD4 (G/T mismatch glycosylase) and in a related avian sequence. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 28: 4157–4165. , , , , , , .
- 2007. The DNA glycosylase/lyase ROS1 functions in pruning DNA methylation patterns in Arabidopsis. Curr Biol 17: 54–59. , , , , .
- 2005. Epigenetic inheritance in Arabidopsis: Selective silence. Curr Opin Genet Dev 15: 557–562. , .