Radiation-induced bystander effects in vivo are epigenetically regulated in a tissue-specific manner
Article first published online: 23 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis
Volume 50, Issue 2, pages 105–113, March 2009
How to Cite
Ilnytskyy, Y., Koturbash, I. and Kovalchuk, O. (2009), Radiation-induced bystander effects in vivo are epigenetically regulated in a tissue-specific manner. Environ. Mol. Mutagen., 50: 105–113. doi: 10.1002/em.20440
- Issue published online: 2 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 23 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Received: 18 APR 2008
- The Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Alberta Cancer Board
- 2003. A proliferation dependent bystander effect in primary porcine and human urothelial explants in response to targeted irradiation. Br J Cancer 88: 767–774. , , , , .
- 2005. Biological effects in unirradiated human tissue induced by radiation damage up to 1 mm away. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 14203–14208. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Bystander-induced differentiation: a major response to targeted irradiation of a urothelial explant model. Mutat Res 597: 43–49. , , , , .
- 2005. RNA meets chromatin. Genes Dev 19: 1635–1655. , .
- 2003. A comparison of normalization methods for high density oligonucleotide array data based on variance and bias. Bioinformatics. 19: 185–193. , , , .
- 2002. Myeloid B, T lymphoid and mixed lineage thymic lymphomas in the irradiated mouse. Carcinogenesis 23: 1079–1085. , , .
- 2004. Evidence for ‘bystander effects’ in vivo. Hum Exp Toxicol 23: 67–70. .
- MicroRNAs in skeletal and cardiac muscle. 2007. development.DNA Cell Biol 26: 219–225. , , .
- 2007. Tissue-specific and reversible RNA interference in transgenic mice. Nat Genet 39: 914–921. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression of various genes is controlled by DNA methylation during mammalian development. J Cell Biochem 88: 899–910. .
- 1994. Transferable clastogenic activity in plasma from persons exposed as salvage personnel of the Chernobyl reactor. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 120: 558–561. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Clastogenic factors in the plasma of Chernobyl accident recovery workers: Anticlastogenic effect of Ginkgo biloba extract. Radiat Res 144: 198–205. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Intestinal epithelial cell dysfunction is mediated by an endothelial-specific radiation-induced bystander effect. Radiat Res 167: 185–193. , , , , , .
- 2005. Human RISC couples microRNA biogenesis and posttranscriptional gene silencing. Cell 123: 631–640. , , , .
- 2007. Constitutive nitric oxide acting as a possible intercellular signaling molecule in the initiation of radiation-induced DNA double strand breaks in non-irradiated bystander cells. Oncogene 26: 2330–2339. , , , , , , , , , .
- MeCP2 binding to DNA depends upon hydration at. 2008. methyl-CpG.Mol Cell 29: 525–531. , , , , , .
- 2008. Gene regulation by transcription factors and microRNAs. Science 319: 1785–1786. .
- 2003. Epigenetic regulation of gene expression: how the genome integrates intrinsic and environmental signals. Nat Genet 33 ( Suppl): 245–254. , .
- Environmental epigenomics and disease susceptibility. 2007. Nat Rev Genet 8: 253–262. , .
- 1998. Methylated DNA and MeCP2 recruit histone deacetylase to repress transcription. Nat Genet 19: 187–191. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The controversial abscopal effect. Cancer Treat Rev 31: 159–172. , , , , , .
- 2006. Radiation-induced genomic instability is associated with DNA methylation changes in cultured human keratinocytes. Mutat Res 597: 87–97. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Partial volume rat lung irradiation: an evaluation of early DNA damage. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 40: 467–476. , , .
- 2003. Partial volume rat lung irradiation; assessment of early DNA damage in different lung regions and effect of radical scavengers. Radiother Oncol. 66: 95–102. , , , .
- 2006. Genomic DNA methylation: the mark and its mediators. Trends Biochem Sci 31: 89–97. , .
- 2005. Stable loss of global DNA methylation in the radiation-target tissue-a possible mechanism contributing to radiation carcinogenesis? Biochem Biophys Res Commun 337: 526–533. , , .
- 2006. Irradiation induces DNA damage and modulates epigenetic effectors in distant bystander tissue in vivo. Oncogene 25: 4267–4275. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Role of epigenetic effectors in maintenance of the long-term persistent bystander effect in spleen in vivo. Carcinogenesis 28: 1831–1838. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. In vivo bystander effect: Cranial X-irradiation leads to elevated DNA damage, altered cellular proliferation and apoptosis, and increased p53 levels in shielded spleen. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70: 554–562. , , , , , .
- 2006. Apoptosis is initiated in human keratinocytes exposed to signalling factors from microbeam irradiated cells. Int J Radiat Biol 82: 393–399. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Modulation of radiation responses by pre-exposure to irradiated cell conditioned medium. Radiat Res 167: 485–492. , , , , .
- 2008. Multilevel regulation of gene expression by microRNAs. Science 319: 1789–1790. , .
- 2007. Bystander effects induced by serum from survivors of the Chernobyl accident. Exp Hematol 35(4 Suppl 1 ): 55–63. , , , , .
- 2005. The profile of repeat-associated histone lysine methylation states in the mouse epigenome. EMBO J 24: 800–812. , , , , , , .
- 1953. Whole body irradiation; radiobiology or medicine? Br J Radiol 26: 234–241. .
- 2003a. Non-targeted and delayed effects of exposure to ionizing radiation. I. Radiation-induced genomic instability and bystander effects in vitro. Radiat Res 159: 567–580. .
- 2003b. Non-targeted and delayed effects of exposure to ionizing radiation. II. Radiation-induced genomic instability and bystander effects in vivo, clastogenic factors and transgenerational effects. Radiat Res 159: 581–596. .
- 2003c. Is there a common mechanism underlying genomic instability, bystander effects and other nontargeted effects of exposure to ionizing radiation? Oncogene 22: 7094–7099. .
- 2007. Non-targeted bystander effects induced by ionizing radiation. Mutat Res 616: 159–64. , .
- 2002. Bystander and delayed effects after fractionated radiation exposure. Radiat Res 158: 626–633. , .
- 2004. Radiation-induced bystander effects–implications for cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 4: 158–164. , .
- 1998. Transcriptional repression by the methyl-CpG-binding protein MeCP2 involves a histone deacetylase complex. Nature 393: 386–389. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Hyperoxia-induced DNA damage causes decreased DNA methylation in human lung epithelial-like A549 cells. Antioxid Redox Signal. 6: 129–136. , , , , , , .
- 1977. Chromosome aberrations in normal leukocytes induced by the plasma of exposed individuals. Hiroshima J Med Sci 26: 149–154. , .
- 1999. A sensitive new method for rapid detection of abnormal methylation patterns in global DNA and within CpG islands. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 262: 624–628. , , .
- 2007. Induction of microRNAome deregulation in rat liver by long-term tamoxifen exposure. Mutat Res 619: 30–37. , , , , , .
- 2002. DNA methylation and chromatin—unraveling the tangled web. Oncogene 21: 5361–5379. .
- 2006. Large-scale structure of genomic methylation patterns. Genome Res 16: 157–163. , , , , , , .
- 2007. miRNA: the new gene silencer. Am J Clin Pathol 128: 830–836. , , .
- 2007. MIRD continuing education: Bystander and low dose-rate effects: Are these relevant to radionuclide therapy? J Nucl Med 48: 1683–1691. , , , , .
- 2007. DNA double-strand breaks form in bystander cells after microbeam irradiation of three-dimensional human tissue models. Cancer Res 67: 4295–4302. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Overview of radiation-induced skin cancer in humans. Int J Radiat Biol 57: 809–827. .
- 2008. Paternal cranial irradiation induces distant bystander DNA damage in the germline and leads to epigenetic alterations in the offspring. Cell Cycle 7: 1238–1245. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. siRNA and miRNA: An insight into RISCs. Trends Biochem Sci 30: 106–114. .
- 1995. DNA adduct 8-hydroxyl-2′-deoxyguanosine (8-hydroxyguanine) affects function of human DNA methyltransferase. Carcinogenesis 16: 1253–1255. , , , .
- 2007. Genomic patterns of DNA methylation: Targets and function of an epigenetic mark. Curr Opin Cell Biol 19: 273–280. , .
- 2007. Cancer susceptibility: epigenetic manifestation of environmental exposures. Cancer J 13: 9–16. , , , .
- 1994. Free radical adducts induce alterations in DNA cytosine methylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 1261–1264. , , , .
- 1999. Chromosome instability and immunodeficiency syndrome caused by mutations in a DNA methyltransferase gene. Nature 402: 187–191. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Methyl-CpG-binding protein 2 represses LINE-1 expression and retrotransposition but not Alu transcription. Nucleic Acids Res 29: 4493–4501. , , , .
- 2005. MeCP2: The chromatin connection and beyond. Biochem Cell Biol 83: 251–262. .