Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
Evaluation of gene expression changes in human primary uroepithelial cells following 24-Hr exposures to inorganic arsenic and its methylated metabolites†
Version of Record online: 29 NOV 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis
Volume 54, Issue 2, pages 82–98, March 2013
How to Cite
Yager, J. W., Gentry, P. R., Thomas, R. S., Pluta, L., Efremenko, A., Black, M., Arnold, L. L., McKim, J. M., Wilga, P., Gill, G., Choe, K.-Y. and Clewell, H. J. (2013), Evaluation of gene expression changes in human primary uroepithelial cells following 24-Hr exposures to inorganic arsenic and its methylated metabolites. Environ. Mol. Mutagen., 54: 82–98. doi: 10.1002/em.21749
- Issue online: 4 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 29 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 5 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 MAY 2012
- Unknown funding agency
- 2006.Toxigenomics in regulatory ecotoxicology. Environ Sci Technol 40:4055–4065. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- ATSDR. 2007.Toxicological Profile for Arsenic.Atlanta, GA: United States Department of Health and Human Services. Public Health Service. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Available at: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp.asp?id=22&tid=3.
- 2009.Comparison of standard and reaction cell inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry in the determination of chromium and selenium species by HPLC-ICP-MS. Anal Chem Acta 632:27–34. , ,
- 1995.Controlling the false discovery rate: A practical and powerful approach to multiple testing.J R Stat Soc Ser B 57 760:289–300. ,
- 2011.Comparative genomic analyses identify common molecular pathways modulated upon exposure to low doses of arsenic and cadmium.BMC Genomics 12:173–183. , , ,
- 1994.Determination of arsenic species in fish by directly coupled high-performance liquid chromatography-inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry.J Anal At Spectrom 9:33–37. , ,
- 2007.Biological stress response terminology: integrating the concepts of adaptive response and preconditioning stress within a hormetic dose-response framework.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 222:122–128. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2001.Incidence of transitional cell carcinoma and arsenic in drinking water: A follow-up study of 8,102 residents in an arseniasis-endemic area of northeastern Taiwan.Am J Epidemiol 153:411–418. , , , , , ,
- 2001.In vitro effect of arsenical compounds on glutathione-related enzymes.Chem Res Toxicol 14:517–522. ,
- 2011.Concentration- and time-dependent genomic changes in the mouse urinary bladder following exposure to arsenate in drinking water for up to 12 weeks.Toxicol Sci 123:421–432. , , , , , ,
- 2006.Methylated arsenicals: The implications of metabolism and carcinogenicity studies in rodents to human risk assessment.Crit Rev Toxicol 36:99–133. , , , ,
- 2007.Arsenic-induced bladder cancer in an animal model.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 222:258–263. , , ,
- 2005.Inorganic arsenic compounds cause oxidative damage to DNA and protein by inducing ROS and RNS generation in human keratinocytes.Mol Cell Biochem 279:105–112. , ,
- EbleJN, SauterG, EpsteinJI, SesterhennIA, editors. 2004.WHO Classification of Tumours: Tumours of the Urinary System and Male Genital Organs.Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer, IARC Press.
- EFSA. 2009.Scientific opinion on arsenic in food. EFSA Panel on Contaminants in Food Chain (CONTAM). European Food Safety Authority, Parma, Italy.EFSA J 7:1351.
- 2010.Low level exposure to monomethylarsonous acid induced the over-production of inflammation-related cytokines and the activation of cell signals associated with tumor progression in a urothelial cell model.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 244:162–173. , , , , .
- 2011.Arsenic-induced oxidative stress and its reversibility.Free Radic Biol Med 51:257–281.
- 2010.Analysis of genomic dose-response information on arsenic to inform key events in a mode of action for carcinogenicity.Environ Mol Mutagen 51:1–14. Review. , , , , ,
- 1980.Determination of glutathione and glutathione disulfide using glutathione reductase and 2-vinylpyridine.Anal Biochem 106:207–212.
- 2002.Interference by toxic metal ions with DNA repair processes and cell cycle control: Molecular mechanisms.Environ Health Perspect Suppl 5:797–799. , , , , , , ,
- 2001.Determination of total and speciated arsenic in rice by ion chromatography and inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry.J Anal At Spectrom 16:299–306. , , ,
- 1999.8-Hydroxy-deoxyguanosine and 8-hydroxyguanine as biomarkers of oxidative DNA damage.Methods Enzymol 300:156–166. , ,
- 2002.Effect of arsenic on transcription factor AP-1 and Nf-kappaB DNA binding activity and related gene expression.Toxicol Lett 133:33–45. , ,
- IARC. 2012.Review of Human Carcinogens. Part C. Arsenic, Metals, Fibres and Dusts. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of the Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Humans, Vol. 100. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer. pp 79.
- 2003.Summaries of Affymetrix GeneChip probe level data.Nucleic Acids Res 31:e15. , , , , ,
- 2004.Incidence of transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder and arsenic exposure in New Hampshire.Cancer Causes Control 15:465–472. , , , , , ,
- 1997.Analysis of a form of oxidative DNA damage, 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine, as a marker of cellular oxidative stress during carcinogenesis.Mutat Res 387:147–163.
- 2006.SScore: An R package for detecting differential gene expression without gene expression summaries.Bioinformatics 22:1272–1274. , , , ,
- 2008.Tissue distribution and urinary excretion of inorganic arsenic and its methylated metabolites in C57BL6 mice following subchronic exposure to arsenate in drinking water.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 232:448–455. , , , , , ,
- 2003.Application of S-score algorithm for analysis of oligonucleotide microarrays.Methods 31:274–281. , ,
- 2008.Arsenic speciation and identification of monomethylarsonous acid and monomethylthioarsonic acid in a complex matrix.Anal Chem 80:775–782. , , , , , , ,
- 2001.Recent advances in arsenic carcinogenesis: Modes of action, animal model systems, and methylated arsenic metabolites.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 172:249–261.
- 2003.Oxidative stress as a possible mode of action for arsenic carcinogenesis.Toxicol Lett 137:3–13. ,
- 2005.Arsenite binding to synthetic peptides based on the Zn finger region and the estrogen binding region of the human estrogen receptor-alpha.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 206:66–72. ,
- 2008.Evidence against the nuclear in situ binding of arsenicals—oxidative stress theory of arsenic carcinogenesis.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 232:252–257. ,
- 2007.Further evidence against a direct genotoxic mode of action for arsenic-induced cancer.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 222:289–297. , , ,
- 2004.Roles of uroplakins in plaque formation, umbrella cell enlargement, and urinary tract diseases.J Cell Biol 167:1195–1204. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1994.Sister chromatid exchange (Sce) among individuals chronically exposed to arsenic in drinking water.Mutat Res 312:111–120.
- 1989.Inhibition of DNA ligase activity by arsenite: A possible mechanism of its comutagenesis.Mol Toxicol 2:1–9. ,
- 2010.The NRF2-mediated oxidative stress response pathway is associated with tumor cell resistance to arsenic trioxide across the NCI-60 panel.BMC Med Genomics 3:37. , , , , , , ,
- 2001.Identification of dimethylarsenious and monomethylarsonous acids in human urine of the arsenic-affected areas in west Bengal, India.Chem Res Toxicol 14:371–378. , ,
- 2002.Acute arsenite-induced 8-hydroxyguanine is associated with inhibition of repair activity in cultured human cells.Biochem Biophys Res Commun 297:924–930. , , ,
- 2009.Elevated ERCC1 gene expression in blood cells associated with exposure to arsenic from drinking water in Inner Mongolia.Anticancer Res 29:3253–3259. , , , ,
- NRC-NAS. 2007.Toxicity Testing in the 21st Century: A Vision and a Strategy.Washington, DC: National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences.
- 1995.Immortalization of human urothelial cells.Urol Res 23:377–380. , , ,
- 2008.Arsenic-induced malignant transformation of human keratinocytes: Involvement of Nrf2.Free Radic Biol Med 45:651–658. , , , , , , ,
- 2008.Dual actions involved in arsenite-induced oxidative DNA damage.Chem Res Toxicol 21:1806–1813. , , , , ,
- The R Core Team. 2012.R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing.Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. ISBN 3-900051-07-0. Available at: http://www.R- project.org.
- 1983.Keratin gene expression in mouse epidermis and cultured epidermal cells.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 80:716–720. , , ,
- 2003.Mechanisms of arsenic carcinogenesis: an integrated approach.Mutat Res 533:37–65.
- 2005.Arsenic, mode of action at biologically plausible low doses: What are the implications for low dose cancer risk?.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 207 (2 Suppl):557–564. , , ,
- 1994.Normal human urothelial cells in vitro: proliferation and induction of stratification.Lab Invest 71:583–594. , , ,
- 2007.Differentiation potential of urothelium from patients with benign bladder dysfunction.Br J Urol 99:1506–1516. , , , , , , ,
- 2009.A review of human carcinogens. Part C. Metals, arsenic, dust and fibres.Lancet Oncol 10:453–454. , , , , , , , , , , , the Working Group WHO/IAEC.
- 2008.Modulation of DNA polymerase beta-dependent base excision repair in cultured human cells after low dose exposure to arsenite.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 228:385–394. ,
- 2010.Cancer in experimental animals exposed to arsenic and arsenic compounds.Crit Rev Toxicol 40:912–927. , , , , ,
- 2011.Carcinogenic effects of whole life exposure to inorganic arsenic in CD1 mice.Toxicol Sci 119:73–83. , , , ,
- 1985.Testing the statistical certainty of a response to increasing doses of a drug.Biometrics 41:295–301. , ,
- 2003.Role of PPARγ and EGFR signaling in the urothelial terminal differentiation programme.J Cell Sci 117:2029–2036. , , , , , , ,
- 2007a. Nrf2 protects human bladder urothelial cells from arsenite and monomethylarsonous acid toxicity.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 225:206–213. , , , , ,
- 2007b. Speciation analysis of arsenic and selenium compounds in environmental and biological samples by ion-chromatography-inductively coupled plasma dynamic reaction cell mass spectrometer.Anal Chem Acta 590:239–244. , , ,
- 2005.Effect of co-administration of antioxidants and arsenicals on the rat urinary bladder epithelium.Toxicol Sci 83:237–245. , , ,
- 2009.Persistence of DNA damage following exposure of human bladder cells to chronic monomethylarsonous acid.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 241:202–209. , , ,
- 2011.Interdependent genotoxic mechanisms of monomethylarsonous acid: role of ROS-induced DNA damage and poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 inhibition in the malignant transformation of urothelial cells.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 257:1–13. , , , , , ,
- 1993.Enhancement of chromosomal damage by arsenic: Implications for mechanism.Environ Health Perspect 101(Suppl 3):79–82. ,
- 1997.Inhibition of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase by arsenite.Mutat Res 386:345–351. ,
- 2011.Effect of sodium arsenite dose administered in the drinking water on the urinary bladder epithelium of female arsenic (+3 oxidation state) methyltransferase knockout mice.Toxicol Sci 121:257–266. , , , , , , ,
- 2002.A new algorithm for analysis of oligonucleotide arrays: Application to expression profiling in mouse brain regions.J Mol Biol 317:225–235. , , ,
- 2011.Arsenite interacts selectively with zinc finger proteins containing C3H1 or C4 motifs.J Biol Chem 286:22855–22863. , , , , ,