MicroRNA therapeutics in cardiovascular medicine
Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
Copyright © 2012 EMBO Molecular Medicine
EMBO Molecular Medicine
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 3–14, January 2012
How to Cite
Thum, T. (2012), MicroRNA therapeutics in cardiovascular medicine. EMBO Mol Med, 4: 3–14. doi: 10.1002/emmm.201100191
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 8 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Received: 4 OCT 2011
- German Ministry for Education and Research. Grant Number: IFB-Tx to T. T., 01EO0802
- German Research Foundation. Grant Number: TH903/10-1 to T. T.
- cardiovascular disease;
Cardiovascular diseases are the most common causes of human morbidity and mortality despite significant therapeutic improvements by surgical, interventional and pharmacological approaches in the last decade. MicroRNAs (miRNAs) are important and powerful mediators in a wide range of diseases and thus emerged as interesting new drug targets. An array of animal and even human miRNA-based therapeutic studies has been performed, which validate miRNAs as being successfully targetable to treat a wide range of diseases. Here, the current knowledge about miRNAs therapeutics in cardiovascular diseases on their way to clinical use are reviewed and discussed.