High-resolution interpretative geomorphological mapping of river valley environments using airborne LiDAR data
Version of Record online: 27 MAR 2007
Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Earth Surface Processes and Landforms
Volume 32, Issue 10, pages 1574–1592, September 2007
How to Cite
Jones, A. F., Brewer, P. A., Johnstone, E. and Macklin, M. G. (2007), High-resolution interpretative geomorphological mapping of river valley environments using airborne LiDAR data. Earth Surf. Process. Landforms, 32: 1574–1592. doi: 10.1002/esp.1505
- Issue online: 21 AUG 2007
- Version of Record online: 27 MAR 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JAN 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 22 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Received: 5 APR 2005
- Welsh Assembly Government
- Environment Agency
- Countryside Council for Wales
- British Geological Survey
- University of Wales, Aberystwyth
- 1999. Airborne laser scanning: basic relations and formulas. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 54: 199–214. .
- 2004. Application of LiDAR digital terrain modelling to predict intertidal habitat development at a managed retreat site: Abbotts Hall, Essex, UK. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 29: 893–905. , .
- 1997. The spatial distribution of heavy metal contaminated sediment across terraced floodplains. Catena 30: 229–249. , .
- ESRI. 2002. ArcGIS Desktop Help. ESRI: Redlands, CA.
- 1990. Cartographic techniques in geomorphology. In Geomorphological Techniques, GoudieA (ed.). Unwin Hyman: London; 97–108. .
- 1983. Geomorphological Field Manual. Allen and Unwin: London. , .
- 1996. Transport and deposition of plutonium-contaminated sediments by fluvial processes, Los Alamos Canyon, New Mexico. Geological Society of America Bulletin 108: 1342-1355. .
- 2004. LIDAR. The Environment Agency. http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/science/monitoring/131047/?lang=_e [25 June 2004]. .
- 1999. 2000 years of sediment-borne heavy metal storage in the Yorkshire Ouse basin, northeast England. Hydrological Processes 13: 1087–1102. , , .
- 2002. Holocene terraces of the upper Dnister: fluvial morphodynamics as a reaction to climatic changes and human impact. Zeitschrift für Geomorphologie (Supplement) 127: 67–80. , .
- 2004. River Response to Late Quaternary Environmental Change: the Dyfi Catchment, mid-Wales, unpublished Ph.D., Aberystwyth. .
- 1987. Palaeohydrology of the rivers Ivalojoki and Oulankajoki, Finland. Fennia 165: 89–132. .
- 2003. LiDAR remote sensing of forest structure. Progress in Physical Geography 27: 88–106. , , , , .
- 2002. The impact of recent climate change on flooding and sediment supply within a Mediterranean mountain catchment, southwestern Crete, Greece. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 27: 1087–1105. , .
- 1999. Physical stability and rehabilitation of sustainable aquatic and riparian ecosystems in the Rio Guadiamar, Spain, following the Aznalcóllar mine tailings dam failure. In Mine, Water and Environment, Proceedings of the International Mine Water Association Congress, Seville, RubioRF (eds); 271–278. , , , , , , .
- 1986. Terraced fills of Pleistocene and Holocene age in the Rheidol Valley, Wales. Journal of Quaternary Science 1: 21–34. , .
- 1998. Controls of short and long term river instability: processes and patterns in gravel-bed rivers, the Tyne basin, northern England. In Gravel-Bed Rivers in the Environment, Proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop on Gravel-Bed Rivers, Washington, KlingemanPE, BeschtaRL, BradleyJ, KomarPD (eds); 257–278. , , .
- 2000. Integration of high-resolution topographic data with floodplain flow models. Hydrological Processes 14: 2109–2122. , .
- Ordnance Survey. 2000. A Guide to Coordinate Systems in Great Britain. Ordnance Survey. http://www.gps.gov.uk/guide1.asp [6 March 2006].
- 2001. Late Holocene alluvial sediment budgets in an upland gravel bed river: the River South Tyne, Northern England. In River Basin Sediment Systems: Archives of Environmental Change, MaddyD, MacklinMG, WoodwardJ (eds). Balkema: Rotterdam; 423–444. , .
- 2002. An application of LIDAR to analyses of El Nino erosion in the Netarts Littoral Cell, Oregon. Journal of Coastal Research 18: 792–801. , , .
- 1995. Elements of Cartography. Wiley: New York. , , , , .
- 2002. Sediment storage in mountain catchment: geomorphic coupling and temporal variability (Reintal, Bavarian Alps, Germany). Zeitschrift für Geomorphologie (Supplement) 127: 175–196. , , , , .
- 1996. River behaviour and Holocene alluviation: the River Severn at Welshpool, mid-Wales, U.K. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 21: 77–91. , .
- 1997. Holocene alluvial sedimentation and valley floor development: the River Swale, Catterick, North Yorkshire, UK. Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society 51: 317–327. , .
- 2002. Geological controls on the formation of alluvial meanders and floodplain wetlands: the example of the Klip River, eastern Free State, South Africa. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 27: 797–815. , , , , .
- 1999. Airborne laser scanning – an introduction and overview. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 54: 68–82. , .
- 2002. Spatial characterization, resolution, and volumetric change of coastal dunes using airborne LIDAR: Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. Geomorphology 48: 269–287. , .