Toxicity of forest fire retardant chemicals to stream-type chinook salmon undergoing parr–smolt transformation
Version of Record online: 26 NOV 2012
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
Volume 32, Issue 1, pages 236–247, January 2013
How to Cite
Dietrich, J. P., Myers, M. S., Strickland, S. A., Van Gaest, A. and Arkoosh, M. R. (2013), Toxicity of forest fire retardant chemicals to stream-type chinook salmon undergoing parr–smolt transformation. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 32: 236–247. doi: 10.1002/etc.2052
- Issue online: 18 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 26 NOV 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 12 NOV 2012 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 14 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 MAY 2012
- 1U.S. Forest Service. 2011. Nationwide Aerial Application of Fire Retardant: Draft Environmental Impact Statement. Washington, DC.
- 2National Marine Fisheries Service. 2007. Endangered Species Act Section 7 Consultation Biological Opinion. The aerial application of eight long-term fire retardants on all Forest Service lands. Silver Springs, MD, USA.
- 72008. Bioavailability of chemical contaminants in aquatic systems. In Di Giulio RT, Hinton DE, eds, The Toxicology of Fishes. CRC, New York, NY, USA., , , .
- 81991. Policy on applying the definition of species under the Endangered Species Act to Pacific salmon (Notice of Policy). Fed Reg 56: 58612–58618..
- 101976. Smolt transformation: Evolution, behavior, and physiology. J Fisheries Res Board Can 33: 1234–1252..
- 111980. Environmental factors affecting smoltification and early marine survival of anadromous salmonids. Mar Fisheries Rev 42: 1–14., , .
- 192005. Standard Methods for Examination of Water and Wastewater, 21st ed. American Public Health Association, Washington, DC., , , . eds,
- 201979. Aqueous ammonia equilibrium—Tabulation of percent un-ionized ammonia. EPA-600/3- 79-091. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Research Laboratory, Duluth, MN, p 440., , .
- 221987. Revised procedure for the 24 hour seawater challenge test to measure seawater adaptaility of juvenile salmonids. Can Tech Rep Fisheries Aquat Sci 1515: 1–35., .
- 232005. Use of disease challenge assay to assess immunotoxicity of xenobiotics. In Ostrander GK, ed, Techniques in Aquatic Toxicology. Taylor and Francis, New York, NY, USA, pp 19–38., , , , .
- 242000. Fixation of fish tissues. In Ostrander GK, ed, The Handbook of Experimental Animals: The Laboratory Fish. Academic, London, United Kingdom, pp 569–578., , .
- 251994. Manual of Histological Techniques and Their Diagnostic Applications. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, UK., .
- 261997. Humason's Animal Tissue Techniques, 5th ed. Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA., .
- 271996. Physiology of Fish in Intensive Culture. Chapman & Hall, International Thompson, New York, NY, USA..
- 282001. Hatchery water supply and treatment. In Wedemeyer GA, ed, Fish Hatchery Management, 2nd ed. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland, pp 91–186., .
- 301984. Acute toxicity of ammonia to five fish species from the northwest United States. Technical Report 84-4. Montana State University, Bozeman MT, USA., .