Assessing causation of the extirpation of stream macroinvertebrates by a mixture of ions
Article first published online: 27 DEC 2012
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
Volume 32, Issue 2, pages 277–287, February 2013
How to Cite
Cormier, S. M., Suter, G. W., Zheng, L. and Pond, G. J. (2013), Assessing causation of the extirpation of stream macroinvertebrates by a mixture of ions. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 32: 277–287. doi: 10.1002/etc.2059
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 27 DEC 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 12 NOV 2012 11:23AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 23 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 15 JUN 2012
- 2U.S., Environmental Protection Agency. 2011. A field based aquatic life benchmark for conductivity in Central Appalachian streams. EPA 600/R-10/023F. Office of Research and Development, National Center for Environmental Assessment, Washington, DC.
- 5U.S., Environmental Protection Agency. 2003. Generic ecological assessment endpoints (GEAEs) for ecological risk assessment. EPA 630/P-02/004B. Risk Assessment Forum, Washington, DC.
- 7U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2011. The effects of mountaintop mines and valley fills on aquatic ecosystems of the Central Appalachian coalfields. EPA 600/R-09/138F. Office of Research and Development, National Center for Environmental Assessment, Washington, DC.
- 92008. Osmotic and Ionic Regulation: Cells and Animals. CRC, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- 101971. Ecology of brackish water. In Remane A, Schlieper C, eds, Biology of Brackish Water, 2nd ed. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA.
- 112009. Animal Osmoregulation. Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA.
- 141996. Level III and IV ecoregions of Pennsylvania and the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Ridge and Valley, and the Central Appalachians of Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland. EPA 600/R-96/077. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, Corvallis, OR, USA., , ,
- 192005. Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry, 4th ed. WH Freeman & Co, New York, NY, USA.,
- 212001. Pennak's Freshwater Invertebrates of the United States: Porifera to Crustacea, 4th ed. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA.
- 222000. Fertilization in Protozoa and Metazoan Animals: Cellular and Molecular Aspects. Springer Verlag, Berlin, Germany.,
- 232010. Candidate cause: Ionic strength. CADDIS, Vol 2: Sources, Stressors, and Responses. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC., ,
- 242002. A survey of the water quality of streams in the primary region of mountaintop/valley fill coal mining, October 1999 to January 2001. Draft Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement on Mountaintop Mining/Valley Fills in Appalachia—2003 Appendix D. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 3, Philadelphia, PA, USA., ,
- 252011. Levels of dissolved solids associated with aquatic life effects in headwater streams of Virginia's Central Appalachian coalfield region. Virginia Tech, Blacksburg VA, USA., , ,
- 261979. Causality and Modern Science, 3rd revised ed. Dover, New York, NY, USA.
- 271985. Study and Interpretation of the Chemical Characteristics of Natural Waters, 3rd ed. USGS Water Supply Paper 2254. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, pp 263.
- 30U.S., Department of Energy. 2004. A white paper describing produced water from production of crude oil, natural gas, and coal bed methane. U.S. Department of Energy, National Energy Technology Laboratory, Morgantown, WV.
- 331977. Nutrient budgets for undisturbed and manipulated hardwood ecosystems in the mountains of North Carolina. In Correll DL, ed, Watershed Research in Eastern North America: A Workshop to Compare Results. Smithsonian Institution, Edgewater, MD, USA, pp 343–363.,
- 341992. Changes in stream stability following forest clearing as indicated by storm nutrient budgets. Arch Hydrobiol 1:1–33., , ,
- 392012. A method for assessing the potential for confounding applied to ionic strength in Central Appalachian streams. Environ Toxicol Chem 32:288–295 (this issue).,
- 422001. Ecology and Classification of North American Freshwater Invertebrates, 2nd ed. Academic, New York, NY, USA.,
- 432008. Cellular and Molecular Approaches to Fish Ionic Regulation. Academic, San Diego, CA, USA.,
- 442010. Inferring causes of biological impairment in the Clear Fork Watershed, West Virginia. EPA 600/R-08/146. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, National Center for Environmental Assessment, Cincinnati, OH, USA., , , , , ,
- 472000. A stream condition index for West Virginia wadeable streams. Prepared for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency by Tetra Tech Inc, Owings Mills, MD, USA., ,
- 482011. Improving EPA review of Appalachian surface coal mining operations under the Clean Water Act, National Environmental Policy Act, and the Environmental Justice Executive Order. In July 21, 2011 memorandum to Garvin S, Fleming GK, Hedman, S. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC.,
- 492011. Big news: EPA finalizes water quality guidance to reduce impacts of mountaintop removal mining. Coal Tattoo. The Charleston Gazette, Charleston, WV, USA.
- 502008. West Virginia GLIMPSS (genus-level index of most probable stream status): A benthic macroinvertebrate index of biotic integrity for West Virginia's wadeable streams. West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Water and Waste Management, Watershed Branch, Charleston, WV, USA., ,