Evaluation of whole effluent toxicity data characteristics and use of Welch's T-test in the test of significant toxicity analysis
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2012
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
Volume 32, Issue 2, pages 468–474, February 2013
How to Cite
Zheng, L., Diamond, J. M. and Denton, D. L. (2013), Evaluation of whole effluent toxicity data characteristics and use of Welch's T-test in the test of significant toxicity analysis. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 32: 468–474. doi: 10.1002/etc.2075
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 21 NOV 2012 05:01PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 13 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUL 2012
- 1U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2010. National pollutant discharge elimination system test of significant toxicity technical document. EPA 833/R-10/004. Office of Wastewater Management, Washington, DC.
- 61938. The significance of the difference between two means when the population variances are unequal. Biometrika 29:350–362.
- 71947. The generalisation of student's problem when several different population variances are involved. Biometrika 34:23–35.
- 101996. Biostatistical Analysis, 3rd ed. Prentice Hall International, Princeton, NJ, USA.
- 142006. Two separate effects of variance heterogeneity on the validity and power of significance tests of location. Stat Methods 3:351–374.
- 17U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2002. Short term methods for estimating the chronic toxicity of effluents and receiving waters to freshwater organisms, 4th ed. EPA 821/R-02/013. Washington, DC.
- 18R Development Core Team. 2010. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 191980. Practical Nonparametric Statistics, 2nd ed. John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, pp. 466–467.
- 201970. Transformation to normality of the null distribution of g1. Biometrika 58:341–348.
- 211983. Distributions of the kurtosis statistic b2 for normal statistics. Biometrika 70:227–234.,
- 252004. Robust Estimating and Hypothesis Testing. New Age International Limited, Publishers, New Delhi, India.,
- 261976. Levels of significance of some two-sample tests when observations are from compound normal distributions. Comm Stat A5:325–342.,
- 271992. Homogeneity of variance in the two-sample means test. Am Stat 46:19–21.,
- 281992. Preliminary tests on variances. Am Stat 45:258.
- 301990. Conditions for the effectiveness of a preliminary test of variance. Am Stat 44:322–326.,