Immunological and reproductive health assessment in herring gulls and black-crowned night herons in the Hudson–Raritan Estuary
Version of Record online: 15 FEB 2013
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
Volume 32, Issue 3, pages 548–561, March 2013
How to Cite
Grasman, K. A., Echols, K. R., May, T. M., Peterman, P. H., Gale, R. W. and Orazio, C. E. (2013), Immunological and reproductive health assessment in herring gulls and black-crowned night herons in the Hudson–Raritan Estuary. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 32: 548–561. doi: 10.1002/etc.2089
- Issue online: 15 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 15 FEB 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 4 DEC 2012 01:49PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 17 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Received: 7 OCT 2011
- 12002. New York City Audubon Society's Harbor Herons Project: 2002 Nesting Survey. New York City Audubon, New York, New York.
- 2Fish U.S. Service Wildlife 1997. 2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin concentrations in double-crested cormorant and black-crowned night heron eggs of Shooters Island and Isle of Meadows, New York. New York Field Office, Cortland, NY.
- 3Fish U.S. Wildlife Service 2000. Impacts of dioxins, furans and polychlorinated biphenyls on anadromous fish and piscivorous birds in Newark Bay. New Jersey Field Office, Pleasantville, NJ.
- 5New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration, United States Fish, Wildlife Service, 2004. Preassessment screen and determination for the Diamond Alkali Superfund Site, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey.
- 112004. Avian immunotoxicology. J Toxicol Environ Health B 7:1–33., ,
- 14Environmental Sciences Group, 2002. Ecological risk assessment of PCB contaminated sediments at Saglek, Labrador. Royal Military College, Kingston, ON, Canada.
- 181999. Effects of PCB 126 on primary immune organ development in chicken embryos. J Toxicol Environ Health 58:101–112.,
- 23International Collaborative Immunotoxicity Study Group Investigators, 1998. Report of validation of assessment of direct immunotoxicity in the rat. Toxicology 125:183–201.
- 272006. Biomonitoring of Environmental Status and Trends (BEST) Program: Environmental contaminants, health indicators, and reproductive biomarkers in fish from the Colorado River Basin. Report 2006–5163. U. S. Department of the Interior and U. S. Geological Survey, Reston, Virginia., , , , , , , , ,
- 281996. Analysis of non-ortho-PCBs in fish, bird eggs, sediments, soils, and SPMD samples by gas chromatography/high resolution mass spectrometry. In GK Ostrander, ed, Techniques in Aquatic Toxicology. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA, pp 517–553., , ,
- 302006. Basic alumina flash chromatographic separation of bulk ortho-PCBs from non-ortho-PCBs, PBDEs, PCDFs, PCDDs, PCDTs, OCPs and PCTs. Organohalogen Compd 68:2458–2461., , ,
- 382005. Organochlorines in black-crowned night heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) eggs reflect persistent contamination in northeastern US estuaries. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 46:270–274.,
- 412003. Dioxin/furan and polychlorinated biphenyl concentrations in Eastern oyster (Crassostrea virginica, Gmelin) tissues and the effects on egg fertilization and development. J Shellfish Res 22:737–746.,
- 422002. Effects of chronic dietary exposure to environmentally relevant concentrations of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin on survival, growth, reproduction and biochemical responses of female rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquatic Toxicol 59:35–53., , , , ,
- 501981. Accummulation of heavy metals and selenium in three seabird species from the United Kingdom. Environ Pollut A26:129–145.
- 59U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 1998. Health Effects Test Guidelines: OPPTS 870.7800 Immunotoxicity. EPA 712/C-98/351. Washington, D.C.