Comparing the effectiveness of chronic water column tests with the crustaceans Hyalella azteca (order: Amphipoda) and Ceriodaphnia dubia (order: Cladocera) in detecting toxicity of current-use insecticides
Version of Record online: 15 FEB 2013
Copyright © 2012 SETAC
Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
Volume 32, Issue 3, pages 707–712, March 2013
How to Cite
Deanovic, L. A., Markiewicz, D., Stillway, M., Fong, S. and Werner, I. (2013), Comparing the effectiveness of chronic water column tests with the crustaceans Hyalella azteca (order: Amphipoda) and Ceriodaphnia dubia (order: Cladocera) in detecting toxicity of current-use insecticides. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 32: 707–712. doi: 10.1002/etc.2111
- Issue online: 15 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 15 FEB 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 27 DEC 2012 06:14PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 10 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 6 APR 2012
- 5U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2002. Methods for measuring the acute toxicity of effluents and receiving waters to freshwater and marine organisms, 5th ed. EPA/821/R-02/012. Washington, DC.
- 6U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2002. Short-term methods for measuring the chronic toxicity of effluents and receiving waters to freshwater organisms, 4th ed. EPA/821/R-02/013. Washington, DC.
- 7U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2002. Short-term methods for measuring the chronic toxicity of effluents and receiving waters to marine and estuarine organisms, 3rd ed. EPA/821/R-02/014. Washington, DC.
- 8U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2000. Methods for measuring the toxicity and bioaccumulation of sediment-associated contaminants with freshwater invertebrates, 2nd ed. EPA/600/R-99/064. Washington, DC.
- 101995. Influence of piperonyl butoxide on the toxicity of organophosphate insecticides to three species of freshwater benthic invertebrates. Comp Biochem Phys C 110:149–155.,
- 122010. Monitoring acute and chronic water column toxicity in the northern Sacramento-San Joaquin estuary, California, USA, using the euryhaline amphipod, Hyalella azteca: 2006–2007. Environ Toxicol Chem 29:2190–2199., , , , , ,
- 132000. Water quality in the Sacramento River basin, California, 1994–1998. Final Report, Circular 1215. U.S. Geological Survey, Sacramento, CA., , , , , ,
- 141995. Insecticide concentrations and invertebrate bioassay mortality in agricultural return water from the San Joaquin basin, Sacramento, CA. Final report, Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board, Rancho Cordova, CA, USA.
- 152005. Pyrethroid insecticides: An analysis of use patterns, distributions, potential toxicity and fate in the Sacramento-San Joaquin delta and Central Valley. White Paper for the Interagency Ecological Program. SFEI Contribution 415. San Francisco Estuary Institute, Oakland, CA, USA.,
- 192001. Ecotoxicological testing of pesticides with respect to their potential of endangering groundwater communities. Report UBA.FB 000239. Umweltbundesamt, Berlin, Germany., , , ,
- 202009. Collection of pyrethroids in water and sediment matrices: Development and validation of a standard operating procedure. Scientific investigations report 2009–5012. U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA., ,
- 232008. Effects of pyrethroid insecticides on aquatic organisms. In Gan J, Spurlock F, Hendley P, Weston DP, eds, Synthetic Pyrethroids: Occurrence and Behavior in Aquatic Environments ACS Symposium Series 991. American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, pp 310–335.,