The acute toxicity of chemically and physically dispersed crude oil to key arctic species under arctic conditions during the open water season
Version of Record online: 14 AUG 2013
Copyright © The Authors. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry published by Wiley Peridoicals, Inc., on behalf of SETAC.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
Volume 32, Issue 10, pages 2284–2300, October 2013
How to Cite
Gardiner, W. W., Word, J. Q., Word, J. D., Perkins, R. A., McFarlin, K. M., Hester, B. W., Word, L. S. and Ray, C. M. (2013), The acute toxicity of chemically and physically dispersed crude oil to key arctic species under arctic conditions during the open water season. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 32: 2284–2300. doi: 10.1002/etc.2307
- Issue online: 4 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 14 AUG 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 13 JUN 2013 06:27AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 1 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 DEC 2012
- Shell Exploration and Production Company
- ExxonMobil Upstream Research Company
- Statoil Petroleum ASA, ConocoPhillips Company
- British Petroleum
- 12008. The effects of dispersed oil with emphasis on cold water environments of the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas. Proceedings of the Workshop, Anchorage, Alaska, Prepared by NewFields, Port Gamble, WA, USA. March 26–27, 2008, pp 1–27., , ,
- 31995. Comparative toxicity of Corexit 7664 to the early life stages of four marine species. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 27:130–136., , , , , ,
- 42005. Cooperative aquatic toxicity testing of dispersed oil and the chemical response to oil spills: Ecological Effects Research Forum (CROSERF). Technical Report 07-03. Ecosystem Management & Associates. Lusby, MD, USA., (eds).
- 62011. Acute and long-term effects from petroleum discharges on temperate and Arctic Calanus species. PhD Thesis. University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway.
- 82001. Dispersant effectiveness testing: Laboratory studies of fresh and weathered oils. Proceedings, Twenty-fourth Arctic Marine Oil Spill Program Technical Seminar, Environment Canada, Ottawa, ON, Canada. March 24–26, 2001, pp 551., , , ,
- 91979. The survival of oil slicks on the ocean as a function of sea state limit. Proceedings, 1979 International Oil Spill Conference. American Petroleum Institute. Washington DC. March, 1979, pp 719–724.,
- 101983. Effectiveness, behavior and toxicity of dispersants. Proceedings, International Oil Spill Conference, San Antonio, Texas, USA, February 28–March 3, 1983. pp 65–71.,
- 111984. Chemical oil dispersion in trials at sea and laboratory tests. In Allen TE, ed, Oil Spill Chemical Dispersants: Research Experience and Recommendations. STP 840. ASTM International, Philadelphia, PA, USA, pp. 125–142., ,
- 122004. Determination of the limiting oil viscosity for chemical dispersion at-sea. MCA Project MSA 10/9/180. Final Report for DEFRA, ITOPF, MCA, and OSRL, April 2004. Alun Lewis, Staines, Middlesex, England. pp 1–86.
- 132009. Surface turbulence measurements at Ohmsett. Report to US Minerals Management Service. SL Ross Environmental Research, Ottawa, ON, Canada.
- 162005. Metabolic biochemistry: Its role in thermal tolerance and the capacities of physiological and ecological function. In Farrell AP, Steffensen JG, eds, The Physiology of Polar Fishes. Elsevier Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp 79–154., ,
- 172010. Biomarker responses in polar cod (Boreogadus saida): Application for petroleum monitoring in Arctic waters. PhD Thesis. University of Tromsø, Department of Arctic and Marine Biology, Tromsø, Norway.
- 182005. Antifreeze proteins in polar fishes. Fish Physiol 22:155–201.,
- 241984. Trophic relationships of vertebrate consumers in the Alaskan Beaufort Sea. In Barnes PW, Schell DM, Reimnitz E, eds, The Alaskan Beaufort Sea, Ecosystems and Environments. Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, pp 381–399.,
- 251981. Distribution, growth, and foods of Arctic cod (Boreogadus saida) in the Bering, Chukchi, and Beaufort Seas. Can Field-Nat 95:186–191.,
- 271986. Aspects of the biology of Arctic cod (Boreogadus saida) and its importance in Arctic marine food chains. Can Tech Rep Fish Aquat Sci 1491:193., , , , , ,
- 302003. Critical evaluation of CROSERF test methods for oil dispersant toxicity testing under subarctic conditions. Report to PWS Regional Citizens Advisory Council. Anchorage, AK, USA.
- 312001. Toxicity of physically and chemically dispersed oils under continuous and environmentally realistic exposure conditions: Applicability to dispersant use decisions in spill response planning. Proceedings, 2001 International Oil Spill Conference, American Petroleum Institute, Washington DC, pp. 1249–1255., , ,
- 332007. Effect of dispersed oil–status of knowledge, criteria for establishment of threshold values and recommendations for further experimental studies. SINTEF Report, Trondheim, Norway.,
- 352009. A review of biological effects of dispersed oil on cold water marine organisms. Akvaplan-Niva Report 3975. Akvaplan-Niva AS. Trømso, Norway.
- 361984. Review of current information on Arctic cod (Boreogadus saida) and bibliography. Bedford Institute of Oceanography. Canada Fisheries and Oceans, Ocean Science and Surveys Atlantic, Dartmouth, NS, Canada. pp. 1–71.
- 382011. Beaufort regional environmental assessment (BREA): Data mining project: Data on the taxonomic composition of ichthyoplankton and the otolith microstructure of Arctic cod (Boreogadus saida) larvae in the western Beaufort Sea. [2013 July 15]. Available from: http://www.arcticnet.ulaval.ca/pdf/research/brea_arcticnet2011.pdf., , , ,
- 392011. Biodiversity of arctic marine fishes: Taxonomy and zoogeography. Mar Biodiversity 41:109–140., ,
- 42Nalco/Exxon Energy Chemicals. Material Safety Data Sheet: Corexit 9500. Sugar Land TX, USA. [2013 July 15]. Available from: http://www.lmrk.org/corexit_9500_uscueg.539287.pdf.
- 43National Research Council. 2005. Understanding Oil Spill Dispersants: Efficacy and Effects, Ocean Studies Board. National Academies Press, Washington, DC.
- 451994. A water-renewal system that accurately delivers small volumes of water to exposure chambers. Environ Toxicol Chem 13:1311–1314., , ,
- 462011. Effects of acute oil exposure on North Atlantic and Arctic copepods. Proceedings, 2011 Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. Boston, MA, USA, November 13–17, 2011., , , , , , ,
- 482011. Acute toxicity of physically and chemically dispersed oil to selected Arctic species. Proceedings, 2011 Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. Boston, MA, USA, November 13–17, 2011., , ,
- 49US Environmental Protection Agency. 1996. Semivolatile organic compounds by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Method 8270 MOD. [2013 July 15]. Available from: http://www.epa.gov/wastes/hazard/testmethods/sw846/pdfs/8270d.pdf.
- 51Federal Register. 1994. National oil and hazardous substances pollution contingency plan – final rule 40 CFR Parts 9 and 300.
- 52US Environmental Protection Agency. 1996. Nonhalogenated organics by gas chromatography. Method 8015C. [2013 July 15]. Available from: http://www.epa.gov/wastes/hazard/testmethods/sw846/pdfs/8015c.pdf.
- 531994. The use of internal chemical indicators in petroleum and refined products to evaluate the extent of biodegradation. In Hinchee RE, Alleman BC, Hoeppel RE, Miller RN, eds, Hydrocarbon Bioremediation. Lewis Publishers, Ann Arbor, MI, USA, pp 219–236., , ,
- 54Tidepool Scientific. 2010. CETIS: Comprehensive Environmental Toxicity Information System: User's Manual. Tidepool Scientific Software, McKinleyville, CA, USA.
- 56US Environmental Protection Agency. 2002. Methods for measuring the acute toxicity of effluents and receiving waters to freshwater and marine organisms. Section 11: Acute toxicity data analysis, Office of Water, Washington DC. pp 1–74.
- 591996. How to prepare water accommodated fractions from petroleum hydrocarbons for use in aquatic toxicity testing—the basics. Proceedings, 19th Arctic and Marine Oilspill Program (AMOP) Technical Seminar. Environment Canada, Ottawa, ON, Canada. June 12–14, 1996. pp 515–528., , , ,
- 602001. Acute toxicity of the oil dispersant Corexit 9500, and fresh and weathered Alaska North Slope crude oil to the Alaskan Tanner crab (C. bairdi), two standard test species, and V. fischeri (Microtox assay). Part 1. Report to Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation. Institute of Northern Engineering, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, AK, USA.
- 631995. Fundamentals of Aquatic Toxicology: Effects, Environmental Fate, and Risk Assessment. Taylor & Francis, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- 652009. The relationship between acute and population level effects of exposure to dispersed oil, and the influence of exposure conditions using multiple life history stages of an estuarine copepod, Eurytemora affinis, as a model planktonic organism. [2013 July 15]. Available from: http://pubpages.unh.edu/∼jell/aurandfinal09/., ,
- 662010. Comparative toxicity of Louisiana sweet crude oil (LSC) and chemically dispersed LSC to two Gulf of Mexico aquatic test species. US Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development. [2013 July 15]. Available from: http://www.epa.gov/bpspill/reports/phase2dispersant-toxtest.pdf., ,
- 67US Environmental Protection Agency. 2010. NCP Product Schedule Corexit EC9500A. [2013 July 15]. Available from: http://www.epa.gov/emergencies/content/ncp/product_schedule.htm.
- 692001. Comparative toxicity of oil, dispersant, and dispersed oil to Texas marine species. Proceedings, 2001 International Oil Spill Conference, Seattle, WA, USA. March, 2001, pp 1243–1248.,
- 702010b. Comparative toxicity of eight oil dispersant products on two Gulf of Mexico aquatic test species. US Environmental Protection Agency Office of Research and Development National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, Gulf Breeze, FL, USA. [2013 July 15]. Available from: http://www.epa.gov/bpspill/reports/ComparativeToxTest.Final.6.30.10.pdf., ,
- 722011. Investigation of Corexit 9500 dispersant in Gulf of Mexico seafood species. Federal Department of Agriculture. [2013 July 15] Available from: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/FoodSafety/Product-SpecificInformation/Seafood/UCM250307.pdf., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 741997. Results of Apache oil toxicity tests with tropical and temperate marine species. PNWD-2400. Report submitted to the Apache Energy Corporation, Perth, Australia.,
- 761982. Toxic effects of naphthalene and methylnaphthalenes on marine plankton organisms. Sarsia 67:171–178., ,
- 811996. NOFO 1996 Oil on water exercise—Analysis of sample material. Report 41.5164.00/00/03/96. SINTEF Applied Chemistry. Trondheim, Norway., ,
- 821981. The 1979 Southern California dispersant treated research oil spills. Proceedings, 1981 Oil Spill Conference, American Petroleum Institute, Washington DC, USA. March, 1981. pp 269–282., , , , ,
- 842002. Toxicity bioassays on dispersed oil in the North Sea: June 1996 field trials. Publication DR 342, American Petroleum Institute, Washington DC., , ,