Modifications to the algal growth inhibition test for use as a regulatory assay
Version of Record online: 2 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2000 SETAC
Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 36–41, January 2000
How to Cite
Geis, S. W., Fleming, K. L., Korthals, E. T., Searle, G., Reynolds, L. and Karner, D. A. (2000), Modifications to the algal growth inhibition test for use as a regulatory assay. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 19: 36–41. doi: 10.1002/etc.5620190105
- Issue online: 2 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 2 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JUL 1999
- Manuscript Received: 17 JUN 1999
- 1Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. 1996. State of Wisconsin aquatic life toxicity testing methods manual. DNR PUBL-WW-033–96. Technical Report. Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, Madison, WI, USA.
- 21991. A short-term bioassay for whole plant toxicity. In GorsuchJW, LowerWR, WangW, LewisMA, eds, Plants for Toxicity Assessment, Vol 2. STP 1115. American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA, pp 355–364., , , .
- 31998. Effect of penta-chlorophenol pollution towards microalgae and microbial activities in soil from a former timber processing facility. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 61: 108–115., , .
- 41972. Polychlorinated biphe-nyls and DDT alter species composition in mixed cultures of algae. Science 176: 533–535., , .
- 51995. Use of freshwater plants for phytotoxicity testing: A review. Environ Pollut 87: 319–336..
- 61980. Toxicity of textile mill effluents to freshwater and estuarine algae, crustaceans, and fishes. Environ Pollut 21: 169–179., , .
- 71982. Algae and crustaceans as indicators of bioactivity of industrial wastes. Water Res 16: 879–883., , .
- 81983. Determination of bioactivity of chemical fractions of liquid wastes using freshwater and saltwater algae and crustaceans. Environ Sci Technol 17: 180–182., .
- 91990. Are laboratory-derived toxicity data for freshwater algae worth the effort? Environ Toxicol Chem 9: 1279–1284..
- 10U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 1994. Short-term methods for estimating the chronic toxicity of effluents and receiving water to freshwater organisms. EPA 600/7–91–002. Washington, DC.
- 11American Society for Testing and Materials. 1992. Standard guide for conducting static 96-h toxicity tests with microalgae. E 1218–90. In Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol 11.04. Philadelphia, PA, pp 874–885.
- 121986. A simple microplate algal assay technique for aquatic tox-icity assessment. Toxic Assess 1: 261–281., , , , .
- 131986. Micromethod for acute aquatic toxicity assessment using the green alga Selenastrum capricornutum. Toxic Assess 1: 377–385..
- 141997. The use of algae in aquatic toxicity assessment. Prog Phycol Res 12: 181–212..
- 151995. A semistatic microplate-based phytotoxicity test. Environ Toxicol Chem 14: 299–302., , .
- 161998. Evaluation of alternative and standard toxicity assays for screening of environmental samples: Selection of an optimal test battery. Che-mosphere 37: 495–507., , .
- 171992. Comparative assessment of herbicide phytotoxicity to Se-lenastrum capricornutum using microplate and flask bioassay procedures. Environ Toxicol Water Qual 7: 35–48., , , , .
- 181989. Round robin testing with the Selenastrum capricornutum microplate toxicity assay. Hydrobiologia 188/189: 259–268., , , .
- 19American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association, Water Environment Federation. 1992. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 18th ed. American Public Health Association, Washington, DC.
- 201977. Sampling and storage of natural waters for trace metal analysis. Water Res 11: 745–756., .
- 21Environment Canada. 1992. Biological test method: Growth inhibition test using the freshwater alga Selenastrum capricornu-tum. Report EPS 1/RM/25. Environment Canada, Ottawa, ON.
- 221995. Assessment of the toxicity to algae of colored substances. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 55: 922–928., , .
- 231965. Fluorometric determination of chlorophyll. J Cons Int Explor Mer 30: 3–15., , , .
- 241970. Effect of ammonium and nitrate concentration on chlorophyll increases in natural tropical Pacific phytoplankton populations. Limnol Oceanogr 15: 386–394..
- 251972. Effect of mercury on algal growth rates. Biotechnol Bioeng 14: 93–101., .
- 261974. In vivo fluorescence, extracted fluorescence, and chlorophyll concentrations in algal mass measurements. Water Res 8: 623–636., , .
- 271996. Inhibitive effect of organotin compounds on the chlorophyll content of the green freshwater alga Scenedesmus quadricauda. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 57: 99–106..
- 281987. Determination of growth rate depression of some green algae by atrazine. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 39: 1041–1048., .