Photoenhanced toxicity of aqueous phase and chemically dispersed weathered Alaska North Slope crude oil to Pacific herring eggs and larvae
Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2003 SETAC
Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 650–660, March 2003
How to Cite
Barron, M. G., Carls, M. G., Short, J. W. and Rice, S. D. (2003), Photoenhanced toxicity of aqueous phase and chemically dispersed weathered Alaska North Slope crude oil to Pacific herring eggs and larvae. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 22: 650–660. doi: 10.1002/etc.5620220326
- Issue online: 30 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 SEP 2002
- Manuscript Received: 16 MAY 2002
- 11996. The effects of near ultraviolet radiation on the toxic effects of poly-cyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in animals and plants: A review. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 33: 1–24., , .
- 21997. Phototoxicity of individual polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and petroleum to marine invertebrate larvae and juveniles. Environ Toxicol Chem 16: 2190–2199., , , , , .
- 31999. Photoenhanced toxicity of a weathered oil to Ceriodaphnia dubia reproduction. Environ Sci Pollut Res 6: 207–212., , , .
- 42000. Quantifying solar spectral irradiance in aquatic habitats for the assessment of photoenhanced toxicity. Environ Toxicol Chem 19: 920–925., , , .
- 52000. Assessment of the photoenhanced toxicity of a weathered petroleum to the tidewater silverside. Environ Toxicol Chem 19: 926–932., , , .
- 62001. Photoinduced toxicity of retene to Daphnia magna under enhanced UV-B radiation. Chemosphere 45: 683–691., , .
- 72000. Effect of irradiance spectra on the photoinduced toxicity of three polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Environ Toxicol Chem 19: 1389–1396., , , , , .
- 82001. Potential for photoenhanced toxicity of spilled oil in Prince William Sound and Gulf of Alaska waters. Mar Pollut Bull 43: 86–92., .
- 91976. Acute toxicity and uptake-depuration studies with Cook Inlet crude oil, Prudhoe Bay crude oil, No. 2 fuel oil, and several subarctic marine organisms. Process Report. Northwest Fisheries Center, Auke Bay Fisheries Laboratory, Juneau, AK, USA., , , , , , , .
- 101997. Ascites, premature emergence, increased gonadal cell apoptosis, and cytochrome P4501A induction in pink salmon larvae continuously exposed to oil-contaminated gravel during development. Can J Zool 75: 989–1007., , , , , , , .
- 111999. Sensitivity of fish embryos to weathered crude oil: Part I. Low level exposure during incubation causes malformations, genetic damage, and mortality in larval Pacific herring (Clupea pallasi). Environ Toxicol Chem 18: 481–493., , .
- 121999. Sensitivity of fish embryos to weathered crude oil: Part II. Increased mortality of pink salmon (Onchorhynchus gorbuscha) embyros incubating downstream from weathered Exxon Valdez crude oil. Environ Toxicol Chem 18: 494–503., , .
- 131999. Dispersed oil toxicity issues. Final Report. Prince William Sound Regional Citizens' Advisory Council, Anchorage, AK, USA..
- 141987. Photoinduced toxicity of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons to aquatic organisms. In VandermeulenJH, HrudeySE, eds, Oil in Freshwater. Pergamon, New York, NY, USA, pp 304–318., , , .
- 151992. Factors controlling sperm entry into the micropyles of salmonid and herring eggs. Dev Growth Differ 34: 447–461., , , .
- 161996. Analytical methods used for the analysis of hydrocarbons in crude oil, tissues, sediments, and seawater collected for the natural resources damage assessment of the Exxon Valdez oil spill. Proceedings, Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Symposium, Anchorage, AK, USA. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, MD, pp 140–148., , , .
- 171980. Statistical Methods, 7th ed. The Iowa State University Press, Ames, IA, USA., .
- 181925. A method of computing the effectiveness of an insecticide. J Econ Entomol 18: 265–267..
- 191995. A QSAR analysis of substituent effects on the photoinduced acute toxicity of PAHs. Chemosphere 30: 2129–2142., , , .
- 201994. QSARs for photoinduced toxicity: I. Acute lethality of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons to Daphnia magna. Chemosphere 28: 567–582., , , .
- 211998. Application of toxicity-based fractionation techniques and structure-activity relationship models for the identification of phototoxic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in sediment pore water. Environ Toxicol Chem 17: 1021–1033., , , , , , .
- 221999. Do aromatic hydrocarbons determine petroleum toxicity to aquatic organisms? Aquat Toxicol 46: 253–268., , , .
- 232001. Contaminant-stimulated reactive oxygen species production and oxidative damage in aquatic organisms. Mar Pollut Bull 42: 656–666..
- 242000. Effects of weathering on the toxicity of three offshore Australian crude oils and a diesel fuel to marine animals. Environ Toxicol Chem 19: 1809–1821., , , .
- 251997. Identification of Exxon Valdez oil in sediments and tissues from Prince William Sound and the northwestern Gulf of Alaska based on a PAH weathering model. Environ Sci Technol 31: 2375–2384., .
- 261999. Influence of dispersants on the bioavailability and trophic transfer of phenanthrene to algae and rotifers. Aquat Toxicol 48: 13–24., , , , , .
- 271995. Toxicity of oil and dispersed oil to the eggs and larvae of seven marine fish and invertebrates from the Gulf of Mexico. In LaneP, ed, The Use of Chemicals in Oil Spill Response. STP 1252. American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA, pp 135–171., , .
- 281999. Evaluation of toxicity of dispersants and dispersed oil to Alaskan marine organisms. Technical Report. University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK., , , , , .
- 292000. Delayed effects on growth and marine survival of pink salmon after exposure to crude oil during embryonic development. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 208: 205–216., , , , , , .
- 30Impacts to pink salmon following the Exxon Valdez oil spill: Persistence, toxicity, sensitivity, and controversy. Rev Fish Sci 9: 165–211., , , , , , , .