Booming development of biofuels for transport: Is fire safety of concern?
Article first published online: 20 JUN 2008
Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Fire and Materials
Volume 33, Issue 1, pages 1–19, January/February 2009
How to Cite
Marlair, G., Rotureau, P., Breulet, H. and Brohez, S. (2009), Booming development of biofuels for transport: Is fire safety of concern?. Fire Mater., 33: 1–19. doi: 10.1002/fam.976
- Issue published online: 12 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 20 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUL 2007
- 12006 (see www.oecdigus.org)., . Automotive biofuels: the INERIS project ‘BIOSAFUEL’. Communication at the IGUS-EOS Meeting, Washington, DC, U.S.A., 4–6 April
- 22006., . ‘BIOSAFUEL’ & ‘HORIZON’: Two Research Initiatives for Better Sustainability of Biofuels Development, Biotechnology Symposium, Brock University, St-Catharines, Ont., Canada, 9 July
- 3Biofuels: State of the Art, Perspectives & Development Issues (in French). IFP Publications: Paris, 2006..
- 4Collective. Green Chemistry (in French). Colonna P., INRA (coordinator), Lavoisier-Tech & Doc, Paris, 2006.
- 5MinteerS (ed.). Alcoholic Fuels. CRC Press Book: U.S.A., 2006.
- 6The Biodiesel Handbook. AOCS Press: Champaign, IL, U.S.A., 2004., , .
- 7MittelbachM, RemschmidtC (eds). Biodiesel—The Comprehensive Handbook. M. Mittelbach: Gratz, Austria, 2004.
- 8Collective (S.C. Hunt as project manager). Biofuels for Transportation—global potential and implications for sustainable agriculture and energy in the 21st Century. Report of the Worldwatch Institute (Extended summary), Lisa Mastny (ed.), 7 June 2006 (downloadable from the Web).
- 9The Emerging Biofuels Market: Regulatory, Trade and Development Implications. UNCAD, United Nations, NY, Geneva, 2006..
- 10BIOFRAC. Biofuels in the European Union—a vision for 2030 and beyond. Final Draft Report of the Biofuels Research Advisory Council, Report 14/03/2006, presented in its final version at Brussels Conference on Biofuels (Brussels) EC Publication EUR 22066 (2006), ISBN 92-79-01748-9, 8 June 2006.
- 11Rhadereistedt: tödlicher Gasaustritt in Biogasanlage. Schwefelwasserstoff-Austritt tötete vier arbeiter und verletzte elf Einsatzkräfte, Deutsche Feuerwehr Zeitung, Brandschutz, January 2006; 43–48., .
- 12Alternative fuels for vehicles. NFPA Handbook, Chapter 2 (XIX edn). SFPE-NFPA: Quincy, MA, U.S.A., 2002; 14–17/14–39..
- 13Bioethanol: role and production technologies. In Improvement of Crop Plants for Industrial Uses, Chapter 8, Ranalli P (ed.). 2007; 209–251..
- 14An analysis of some practical methods for estimating heats of combustion in fire safety studies. Proceedings Interflam 1999. Interscience: New York, 1999; 201–212., , .
- 15Safety aspects with E85 as a fuel for vehicles—fire safety consideration. BEST Project Deliverable D4.2.B, October 2006., , , .
- 16Chimie-Pharma Magazine (in French), 18 April 2006; 15.
- 17Safety characteristics of ethanol/automotive petrol mixtures. Oil GAS European Magazine 4/2006, 2006; 199–202., , .
- 18Flame arrester evaluation for E-diesel fuel tanks. NREL Report/SR-540-34301, June 2003., .
- 19UL web paper. Fuel dispenser components containing ethanol & other alcohol blended fuels, from Underwriters web site (visited on the 03/11/2006).
- 202005 (Available from: http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/AE/AE-117.html)., , . Alcohol Distillation: Basic Principles, Equipment, Performance Relationships, and Safety, AE-117, Purdue University,
- 23Lloyd's CasualtyWeek, 3 November 2006; 26.
- 24Unknown. Ethanol plant incidents. http://homepage.mac.com/oscura/ctd/incidents.html (visited 15/12/2006).
- 25Commercial Information from Angus Fire. (Available from: www.angusfire.co.uk), visited 28/03/2006.
- 26HSE. Domestic production of biodiesel—health and safety warning. Health and Safety Executive Web Site, February 2006.
- 27Playing it safe with methanol. Biodiesel Magazine July 2007; 68–74..
- 28Unknown. New fuel focus. Hazardous Cargo Bulletin December 2006; 50–51.