Prospects of doubling global wheat yields
Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Food and Energy Security published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd. and the Association of Applied Biologists.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food and Energy Security
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 34–48, May 2013
How to Cite
Food and Energy Security 2013; 2(1): 34–48
- Issue online: 30 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 30 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 NOV 2012
- UK Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council. Grant Number: AGL2010-20180
- EU. Grant Number: FP7
- OPTICHINA. Grant Number: 26604
- 2005. What have we learned from 15 years of free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE)? A meta-analytic review of the responses of photosynthesis, canopy properties and plant production to rising CO2. New Phytol. 165:351–371. , and .
- 2008. Breeding for yield potential and stress adaptation in cereals. Crit. Rev. Plant Sci. 27:1–36. , , , and .
- 1980. Genetic improvement in winter wheat yield since 1900 and associated physiological changes. J. Agric. Sci. 94:675–689. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Identification of QTL associated with seedling root traits and their correlation with mature plant height in wheat. J. Exp. Bot. In press. , , and .
- 2010. Nitrogen efficiency of wheat: genotypic and environmental variation and prospects for improvement. Eur. J. Agron. 33:1–11. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Multi-location testing as a tool to identify plant response to global climate change. Pp. 115–138 in M. P. Reynolds, ed. Climate change and crop production. CABI Climate Change Series, U.K. , , and .
- 2010. Why are wheat yields stagnating in Europe? A comprehensive data analysis for France. Field Crops Res. 119:201–212. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Combining high grain number and weight through a DH-population to improve grain yield potential of wheat in high-yielding environments. Field Crops Res. In press. , , , and .
- 2003. Grain position affects grain macronutrient and micronutrient concentrations in wheat. Crop Sci. 43:141–151. , and .
- 1998. Changes in yield and yield stability in wheat during the 20th century. Field Crops Res. 57:335–347. , and .
- 1995. Genetic improvement in wheat yield and associated traits. A re-examination of previous results and the latest trends. Plant Breeding 114:108–112. , , and .
- 1997. Consequences of breeding on biomass, radiation interception and radiation-use efficiency in wheat. Field Crops Res. 52:271–281. , , and .
- 1999. Genetic gains in wheat yield and associated physiological changes during the twentieth century. Pp. 351–377 in E. H. Satorre and G. A. Slafer, eds. Wheat: ecology and physiology of yield determination. Food Product Press, The Haworth Press, New York. , , and .
- 2012. Improving grain filling and potential grain size. Pp. 24–29 in M. P. Reynolds, H. J. Braun, and E. Quilligan, eds. 2nd International Workshop of the Wheat Yield Consortium, CENEB, CIMMYT. Cd. Obregón, Sonora, México. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Grain weight responses to post-anthesis spikelet-trimming in an old and a modern wheat under Mediterranean conditions. Eur. J. Agron. 25:365–371. , , , and .
- 1999. Climate change and plant disease management. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 37:399–426. , , and .
- 1988. Genetic improvement in agronomic traits of hard red winter wheat cultivars from 1919 to 1987. Crop Sci. 28:756–760. , , , , and .
- 1995. Species variation in Rubisco specificity factor. J. Exp. Bot. 46:1775–1777. , , , and .
- 2012. Identification of differentially senescing mutants of wheat and impacts on yield, biomass and nitrogen partitioning. J. Integr. Plant Biol. 54:555–566. , , , , and .
- 2012. Food security. Improving crop productivity and resource efficiency to ensure food security and environmental quality in China. J. Exp. Bot. 63:13–24. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Integration of breeding and technology into diversification strategies for disease control in modern agriculture. Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 121:399–409.
- 1984. Wheat. Pp. 129–153 in W. H. Smith and S. J. Banta, eds. Symposium on Potential Productivity of Field Crops Under Different Environments. IRRI, Los Baños, Philippines.
- 1985. Number of kernels in wheat crops and the influence of solar radiation and temperature. J. Agric. Sci. 105:447.
- 1986. Increased kernel number in Norin 10 derived dwarf wheat: evaluation of a cause. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 12:767–784. , and .
- 1998. Wheat yield progress associated with higher stomatal conductance and photosynthetic rate, and cooler canopies. Crop Sci. 38:1467–1475. , , , , , and .
- 2009a. Identifying traits to improve the nitrogen economy of wheat. Recent advances and future prospects. Field Crops Res. 114:329–342. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009b. Genetic improvement of grain crops. Pp. 355–385 in V. O. Sadras and D. F. Calderini, eds. Crop physiology: applications for genetic improvement and agronomy. Academic Press, Elsevier, Amsterdam. , , and .
- 2010. P. 15 in Evolution des rendements de plusieurs plantes de grande culture. Une réaction différente au réchauffement climatique selon les espèces. Compte-rendu de la séance du 5 mai 2010 de l'Académie d'Agriculture de France. , , and .
- 2005. Rubisco specificity factor tends to be larger in plant species from drier habitats and in species with persistent leaves. Plant Cell Environ. 28:571–579. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Variability of pre-anthesis phases as a strategy for increasing grain number in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Field Crops Res. 124:408–416. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005a. Floret developmental and survival in wheat plants exposed to contrasting photoperiod and radiation environments during stem elongation. Funct. Plant Biol. 32:189–197. , , and .
- 2005b. Pre-anthesis development and number of fertile florets in wheat as affected by photoperiod sensitivity genes Ppd-D1 and Ppd-B1. Euphytica 146:253–269. , , and .
- 2011. Wheat floret survival as related to pre-anthesis spike growth. J. Exp. Bot. 62:1–13. , , and .
- 2003. Effects of restricted water availability and increased temperature on the grain filling, drying and quality of winter wheat. J. Cereal Sci. 37:295–309. , , , and .
- 1982. Duration and rate of development phases in wheat in two environments. Ann. Bot. 49:115–121. , and .
- 2011. Carpel weight, grain length and stabilized grain water content are physiological drivers of grain weight determination of wheat. Field Crops Res. 123:241–247. , , , and .
- 2010. Wheat improvement in China. Pp. 51–68 in Z. H. He and A. P. A. Bonjean, eds. Cereals in China. CIMMYT, Mexico, D.F. , , and .
- 2008. Using C4 photosynthesis to increase the yield of rice - rationale and feasibility. Curr. Opin. Plant Biol. 11:228–231. , , and .
- 2000. Prospects for crop improvement through the genetic manipulation of photosynthesis: morphological and biochemical aspects of light capture. J. Exp. Bot. 51:475–485.
- 2011. Changes in apical development of durum wheat caused by breeding during the 20th century: analysis by phases and its implications for yield formation. Ann. Bot. 107:1355–1366. , , , , and .
- 1978. Practical breeding for durable resistance to rust diseases in self-pollinating cereals. Euphytica 27:529–540.
- 2008. Effect of increasing temperature on yield of some winter crops in northwest India. Curr. Sci. 94:82–88. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. How extensive are yield declines in long-term rice-wheat experiments in Asia? Field Crops Res. 81:159–180. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Expansins expression is associated with grain size dynamics in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). J. Exp. Bot. 61:1147–1157. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Climate and management contributions to recent trends in US agricultural yields. Science 299:1032. , and .
- 2011. Climate trends and global crop production since 1980. Science 333:616–620. doi:10.1126/science.1204531. , , and .
- 2006. Can improvement in photosynthesis increase crop yields? Plant Cell Environ. 29:315–330. , , , and .
- 1989. Grain growth and development of old and modern Australian wheats. Field Crops Res. 21:131–146. , , , and .
- 2012. Pp. 1–2 in Research progress of wheat scab in China. Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Fusarium Head Blight, Nanjing, China, organized by Nanjing Agricultural University, Jiangsu Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Journal of Genetics and Genomics, and Jiangsu Society of Genetics. , and .
- 1986. Effects of grain shape and size on milling yields in wheat. II. Experimental studies. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 37:331–342. , , , and .
- 1988. The role of specific genes in breeding for durable stem rust resistance in wheat and triticale. Pp. 1–9 in N. W. Simmonds and S. Rajaram, eds. Breeding strategies for resistance to the rusts of wheat. CIMMYT, Mexico.
- 1995. P. 200 in Wheat rusts. An atlas of resistance genes. CSIRO, Melbourne, Australia. , , and .
- 1995. Yield, biomass and yield components in dwarf, semidwarf and tall isogenic lines of spring wheat under recommended and late sowing dates. Plant Breeding 114:392–396. , and .
- 2007. Sink limitations to yield in wheat: how could it be reduced? J. Agric. Sci. 145:139–149. , and .
- 1998. Floret development in near isogenic wheat lines differing in plant height. Field Crops Res. 59:21–30. , , , and .
- 2000. Duration of stem elongation period influences the number of fertile florets in wheat and barley. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 27:931–940. , , and .
- 2008. Rebirth of synthetic hexaploids with global implications for wheat improvement. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 59:391–398. , , , , .
- 2009. Agriculture and the new challenges for photosynthesis research. New Phytol. 181:532–552. , , and .
- 2009. P. 69 in The current and potential costs from diseases of wheat in Australia. Grains Research and Development Corporation, Canberra Australia. , and .
- 2008. Synthetics for wheat improvement – Proceedings of the 1st Synthetic Wheat Symposium, September 2006. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 59:389–390. , , and .
- 2011. Impacts and adaptation of European crop production systems to climate change. Eur. J. Agron. 34:96–112. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. A study of genetic progress due to selection reveals a negative effect of climate change on bread wheat yield in France. Eur. J. Agron. 40:28–38. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Dynamics of crop-pathogen interactions: from gene to continental scale. Pp. 423–447 in V. O. Sadras and D. F. Calderini, eds. Applied crop physiology: at the boundaries with genetic improvement and agronomy. Elsevier, London, U.K. , , , and .
- 2011. International surveillance of wheat rust pathogens - progress and challenges. Euphytica 179:109–117. doi:10.1007/s10681-011-0375-4. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Food and energy security: exploring the challenges of attaining secure and sustainable supplies of food and energy. Food Energy Secur. 1:1–2. doi.org/10.1002/fes3.1.
- 2010a. Food security: increasing yield and improving resource use efficiency. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 69:1–9. , and .
- 2010b. Genetic approaches to reduce greenhouse gas emissions: increasing carbon capture and decreasing environmental impact. Pp. 139–150 in M. P. Reynolds, ed. Climate change and crop production. CABI International, Wallingford, U.K. , and .
- 2012. An integrated approach to crop genetic improvement. J. Integr. Plant Biol. 54:250–259. , and .
- 1989. Variation in the specificity factor of C-3 higher-plant Rubisco determined by the total consumption of ribulose-P2. J. Exp. Bot. 40:317–320. , , and .
- 2009. Mutation discovery for crop improvement. J. Exp. Bot. 60:2817–2825. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Raising yield potential of wheat. II. Increasing photosynthetic capacity and efficiency. J. Exp. Bot. 62:453–467. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Rubisco activity and regulation as targets for crop improvement. J. Exp. Bot. 64:717–730. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Cereal yield trends in northern European conditions: changes in yield potential and its realisation. Field Crops Res. 110:85–90. , , and .
- 2004. Rice yields decline with higher night temperature from global warming. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101:9971–9975. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The impacts of climate change on water resources and agriculture in China. Nature 467:43–51. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. The cyanobacterial CCM as a source of genes for improving photosynthetic CO2 fixation in crop species. J. Exp. Bot. 64:753–768. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Photosynthesis of wheat in a warm, irrigated environment I: genetic diversity and crop productivity. Field Crops Res. 66:37–50. , , , and .
- 2011. Raising yield potential of wheat: (I) Overview of a consortium approach and breeding strategies. J. Exp. Bot. 62:439–452. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Achieving yield gains in wheat. Plant Cell Environ. 35:1799–1823. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. The effects of dwarfing genes in spring wheat in dry environments I. Agronomic characteristics. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 43:517–527.
- 2007. Evolutionary aspects of the trade-off between seed size and number in crops. Field Crops Res. 100:125–138.
- 2011. Genetic gain in yield and associated changes in phenotype, trait plasticity and competitive ability of South Australian wheat varieties released between 1958 and 2007. Crop Pasture Sci. 62:533–549. , and .
- 2012. Environmental modulation of yield components in cereals: heritabilities reveal a hierarchy of phenotypic plasticities. Field Crops Res. 127:215–224. , and .
- 1991. Shading effects on the yield of an Argentinean wheat 655 cultivar. J. Agric. Sci. 116:1–7. , and .
- 2003. Plant pathogens in a changing world. Australas. Plant Pathol. 32:157–165. , and .
- 2007. Long-term relationships between environment and abundance in wheat of Phaeosphaeria nodorum and Mycosphaerella graminicola. New Phytol. 177:229–238. , , , and .
- 2009. Wheat. J. Exp. Bot. 60:1537–1553.
- 2006. Grain number, wheat yield, and bottling beer: an analysis. Field Crops Res. 98:60–67. , and .
- 1989. Genetic improvement in bread wheat (Triticum aestivum, L.) yield in Argentina. Field Crops Res. 21:289–296. , and .
- 1994. Increases in grain yield in bread wheat from breeding and associated physiological changes. Pp. 1–68 in G. A. Slafer, ed. Genetic improvement of field crops. Marcel Dekker, New York. , , and .
- 1996. Yield components and compensation in wheat: opportunities for further increasing yield potential. Pp. 101–133 in M. P. Reynolds, S. Rajaram and A. McNab, eds. Increasing yield potential in wheat: breaking the barriers. CIMMYT, Mexico, DF. , , .
- 2005. Plant disease: a threat to global food security. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 43:83–116. , and .
- 1985. Stripe rust. Pp. 61–101 in A. P. Roelfs and W. R. Bushnell, eds. The cereal rusts. Vol. II. Academic Press, Orlando, FL.
- 2008. Climate-crop yield relationships at provincial scales in China and the impacts of recent climate trends. Clim. Res. 38:83–94. , , , and .
- 2009. Winter wheat roots grow twice as deep as spring wheat roots, is this important for N uptake and N leaching losses? Plant Soil 322:101–114. , , and .
- 2003. Wheat protein quality in relation to baking performance evaluated by the Chorleywood bread process and a hearth bread baking test. J. Cereal Sci. 38:205–215. , , , and .
- 1986. Improvement in the yield potential of bread wheat adapted to northwest Mexico. Crop Sci. 26:698–703. , , , and .
- 2007. Wheat stripe rust in China. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 58:605–619. , , and .
- 2013. A novel family of γ-gliadin genes are highly regulated by nitrogen supply in developing wheat grain. J. Exp. Bot. 64:161–168. , , and .
- 2007. Puccinia striiformis in Australia: a review of the incursion, evolution, and adaptation of stripe rust in the period 1979–2006. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 58:567–575.
- 2001. Recurrent selection for kernel weight in spring wheat. Crop Sci. 41:999–1005. , , , and .
- 2009. The effects of dwarfing genes on seedling root growth of wheat. J. Exp. Bot. 60:2565–2573. , , , and .
- 2012. Genetic gains in grain yield and physiological traits of winter wheat in Shandong Province, China, from 1969 to 2006. Crop Sci. 52:44–56. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Pedigree analysis of main wheat varieties and utilization of core germplasms in Henan province. Shandong Agric. Sci. 1:27–31. , , , , and .
- 2009. Impact of growing season temperature on wheat productivity in China. Agric. For. Meteorol. 149:1009–1014. , , , and .
- 2012. Cyanobacterial-based approaches to improving photosynthesis in plants. J. Exp. Bot. doi:10.1093/jxb/ers294. , , , and .
- 1998. An Arabidopsis MADS box gene that controls nutrient-induced changes in root architecture. Science 279:407–409. , and .
- 2012. Pp. 6–7 in Identification and screening of resources resistant to Fusarium Head Blight (FHB) in winter wheat region of Northern China. Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Fusarium Head Blight, Nanjing, China, organized by Nanjing Agricultural University, Jiangsu Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Journal of Genetics and Genomics, and Jiangsu Society of Genetics. , , and .
- 2011. Genetic gains in grain yield, net photosynthesis and stomatal conductance achieved in Henan Province of China between 1981 and 2008. Field Crops Res. 122:225–233. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Genetic improvement of grain yield and associated traits in the Northern China winter wheat region from 1960 to 2000. Crop Sci. 47:245–253. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Genetic diversity and disease control in rice. Nature 406:718–722. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Improving photosynthetic efficiency for greater yield. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 61:235–261. , , and .