This study was funded by the Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq-Brazil) and Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP).
Which is the by-product: caffeine or decaf coffee?
Article first published online: 24 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Author. Food and Energy Security published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd. and the Association of Applied Biologists.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Food and Energy Security
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 70–75, July 2012
How to Cite
Food and Energy Security 2012; 1(1): 70-75
- Issue published online: 25 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 24 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 1 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 14 MAY 2012
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq-Brazil)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- 2007. Daily coffee consumption and prevalence of nonmelanoma skin cancer in Caucasian women. Eur. J. Cancer Prev. 16:446–452. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Controle de qualidade de amostras de Paullinia cupana H.B.K. var. sorbilis (Mart.) Ducke. Acta Farm Bonaerense 23:383–386. , , , and .
- 2008. Caffeine and related purine alkaloids: biosynthesis, catabolism, function and genetic engineering. Phytochemistry 69:833–1076. , , and .
- 2008. Extraction of caffeine, chlorogenic acids and lipids from green coffee beans using supercritical carbon dioxide and co-solvents. Braz. J. Chem. Eng. 25:543–552. , , , , and .
- 2010. A ciência e Goethe: cafeína e flôres. Cien. Cult. 56:56–59. , , , and .
- 2001. A double-blind evaluation of the activity of an anti-cellulite product containing retinol, caffeine, and ruscogenine by a combination of several non-invasive methods. J. Cosmet. Sci. 52:199–210. , , , , , , et al.
- 1948. New syntheses of caffeine and theophylline. J. Am. Pharm. Assoc. 37:62–64. , and .
- 2012. Make it a decaf: the enduring quest for a coffee bean without the buzz. Nature 483:264–266.
- 2006. Impacts of drought and temperature stress on coffee physiology and production: a review. Braz. J. Plant Physiol. 18:55–81. , and .
- 1999. Topical delivery of caffeine from some commercial formulations. Int. J. Pharm. 182:41–47. , , , , , and .
- 1985. Variação do teor de cafeína na semente de guaraná, em progênies de polinização aberta. Bol. Pesq. Desenv. - EMBRAPA 5:1–17. , , and .
- 1895a. Neue synthese der harnsäure und ihrer methylderivate. Ber. Dtsch. Chem. Ges. 28:2473–2480. , and .
- 1895b. Synthese des Caffeïns. Ber. Dtsch. Chem. Ges. 28:3135–3143. , and .
- 2004. Caffeine as an adenosine receptor antagonist. Eur. Neuropsychopharmacol. 14:S156–S157.
- 1999. Actions of caffeine in the brain with special reference to factors that contribute to its widespread use. Pharmacol. Rev. 51:83–133. , , , , and .
- 2006. Coffee leaf miner resistance. Braz. J. Plant Physiol. 18:109–117.
- 2001. Decaffeination of coffee. pp. 108–124 in R. J. Clarke, O. G. Vitzthum, eds. Coffee recent developments. Blackwee Sciences, Oxford, UK.
- 2006. Coffee and health: a review of recent human research. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 46:101–123. , and .
- 1991. Caffeine and health. Academic Press Inc, San Diego.
- 2004. Caffeine synthase and related methyltransferases in plants. Front. Biosci. 9:1833–1842. , and .
- 1985. Decaffeination of coffee. pp. 59–71 in R. J. Clarke, R. Macrae, eds. Coffee Vol 2 Technology. Elsevier Applied Science, London, New York.
- 2011. Protection from UV-induced skin carcinogenesis by genetic inhibition of the ataxia telangiectasia and Rad3-related (ATR) kinase. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108:13716–13721. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Developments in coffee biotechnology – in vitro plant propagation and crop improvement. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult. 87:49–65. , , and .
- 2006. Genetics of coffee quality. Braz. J. Plant Physiol. 18:229–242. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Topical applications of caffeine or epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) inhibit carcinogenesis and selectively increase apoptosis in UVB-induced skin tumors in mice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99:12455–12460. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Caffeine and caffeine sodium benzoate have a sunscreen effect, enhance UVB-induced apoptosis, and inhibit UVB-induced skin carcinogenesis in SKH-1 mice. Carcinogenesis 28:199–206. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Catabolism of caffeine in plants and microorganisms. Front. Biosci. 9:1348–1359.
- 1997. Caffeine content of diploid coffee species. Ciência e Cultura 49:216–218. , , , and .
- 2009. Decaf and the steeplechase towards Decaffito—the coffee from caffeine-free Arabica plants. Trop. Plant Biol. 2:63–76. , , , and .
- 1999. Caffeine in coffee: its removal – why and how? Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 39:441–456. , and .
- 2006. Genetic transformation of coffee. Braz. J. Plant Physiol. 18:83–94. , , and .
- 2011. Agrobacterium-mediated genetic transformation of Coffea arabica (L.) is greatly enhanced by using established embryogenic callus cultures. BMC Plant Biol. 11:92. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Evaluation of the efficacy of a topical cosmetic slimming product combining tetrahydroxypropyl ethylenediamine, caffeine, carnitine, forskolin and retinol, in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo studies. Int. J. Cosmetic Sci. 33:519–526. , , , , and .
- 2000. Ingredients and safety of cellulite creams. Eur. J. Dermatol. 10:596–603. , , and .
- 2004. Molecular mechanisms of mammalian DNA repair and the DNA damage checkpoints. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 73:39–85. , , , and .
- 2005. Isolation of promoter for N-methyltransferase gene associated with caffeine biosynthesis in Coffea canephora. J. Biotechnol. 119:20–25. , , , and .
- 2006. Coffee resistance to the main diseases: leaf rust and coffee berry disease. Braz. J. Plant Physiol. 18:119–147. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Ploidy level and caffeine content in leaves of Coffea. Sci. Agric. 56:661–663. , , , , and .
- 2012. All about coffee (on line book at – http://www.web-books.com/Classics/ON/B0/B701/TOC.html).
- 2011. Quantification of the Robusta fraction in a coffee blend via Raman Spectroscopy: proof of principle. J. Agric. Food Chem. 59:9074–9079. , , , and .
- 2003. A novel method of caffeine synthesis from uracil. Synthetic Commun. 33:3291–3297. , , , and .
- 2012. Caffeine in your drink: natural or synthetic? Anal. Chem. 84:2805–2810. , , , , and .