Adaptive modelling and forecasting of offshore wind power fluctuations with Markov-switching autoregressive models
Article first published online: 10 SEP 2010
Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of Forecasting
Volume 31, Issue 4, pages 281–313, July 2012
How to Cite
Pinson, P. and Madsen, H. (2012), Adaptive modelling and forecasting of offshore wind power fluctuations with Markov-switching autoregressive models. J. Forecast., 31: 281–313. doi: 10.1002/for.1194
- Issue published online: 11 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 10 SEP 2010
- 2006. An autoregressive model with time-varying coefficients for wind fields. Environmetrics 17: 107–117. , ,
- 2007. Influence of wind direction on intense power fluctuations in large offshore windfarms in the North Sea. Wind Engineering 31: 59–64.
- 2004. The Analysis of Time-Series: An Introduction (6th edn). Chapman & Hall/CRC: London.
- 1998. A new maximum likelihood gradient technique algorithm for on-line hidden Markov model identification. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, Signal Processing, Seattle, WA. ,
- 1994. On-line identification of hidden Markov models via prediction error techniques. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 42: 3535–3539. , ,
- 2007. Nonparametric bootstrap procedures for predictive inference based on recursive estimation schemes. International Economic Review 48: 67–109. ,
- 2008. A review on the young history of the wind power short-term prediction. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 12: 1725–1744. , , , , ,
- 2002. Estimation of the transition matrix of a discrete-time Markov chain. Health Economics 11: 33–42. , .
- 2002. Nonparametric density estimation in hidden Markov models. Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes 5: 55–64. ,
- 2004. Asymptotic properties of the maximum likelihood estimator in autoregressive models with Markov regimes. Annals of Statistics 32: 2254–2304. , ,
- Ea Energy Analyses. 2007. 50% wind power in Denmark by 2025: English summary. Technical Report, Ea Energy Analyses, Copenhagen, Denmark. Available: http://www.windpower.org [16 July 2010].
- 2002. Short-term prediction of the aggregated power output of wind farms: a statistical analysis of the reduction of the prediction error by spatial smoothing effects. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 90: 231–246. , , , , ,
- 2003. The state of the art in short-term prediction of wind power: a literature overview. Technical report, ANEMOS EU project, deliverable report D1.1. Available: http://www.anemos-project.eu [16 July 2010]. , ,
- 2006. Calibrated probabilistic forecasting at the Stateline wind energy center: the regime-switching space–time method. Journal of the American Statistical Association 101: 968–979. , , , ,
- 2007. Probabilistic forecasts, calibration and sharpness. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B 69: 243–268. , ,
- 2001. Improving coverage accuracy of nonparametric prediction intervals. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B 63: 717–725. ,
- 1989. A new approach to the economic analysis of nonstationary time-series and business cycles. Econometrica 57: 357–384.
- 2003. Offshore wind energy in Europe: a review of the state-of-the-art. Wind Energy 6: 35–52. , , , , ,
- 2009. Powering up with space–time wind forecasting. Journal of the American Statistical Association 105: 92–104. ,
- 1962. Application of ridge analysis to regression problems. Chemical Engineering Progress 58: 54–59.
- 1994. Recursive estimation in switching autoregressions with a Markov regime. Journal of Time Series Analysis 15: 489–506. , , ,
- 1997. On Tikhonov regularization, bias and variance in nonlinear system identification. Automatica 33: 441–446.
- 2003. Horns Rev offshore wind farm: its main controller and remote control system. Wind Engineering 27: 351–359. ,
- 1997. Markov-Switching Autoregressions: Modeling, Statistical Inference and Application to Business Cycle Analysis. Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, Vol. 454. Springer: Berlin.
- 1997. Recursive estimation in hidden Markov models. In Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, San Diego, CA. ,
- 1983. Theory and Practice of Recursive Estimation. MIT Press: Boston, MA. ,
- 2007. Time-Series Analysis. Chapman & Hall/CRC: London.
- 2005. Standardizing the performance evaluation of short-term wind power prediction models. Wind Engineering 29: 475–489. , , , ,
- 2002. Reap the wild wind. IEEE Spectrum 39: 34–39.
- 2008. Time-adaptive quantile regression. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis 52: 1292–1303. , ,
- 2006. From wind ensembles to probabilistic information about future wind power production: results from an actual application. In Proceedings of IEEE PMAPS Conference: Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems, Stockholm, Sweden. , , , , , , , ,
- 2006. Estimation of the uncertainty in wind power forecasting. PhD thesis, Ecole des Mines de Paris. Available: http://pastel.paristech.org [16 July 2010].
- 2009. Ensemble-based probabilistic forecasting at Horns Rev. Wind Energy 12: 137–155. ,
- 2007. Nonparametric probabilistic forecasts of wind power: required properties and evaluation. Wind Energy 10: 497–516. , , , ,
- 2008. Regime-switching modelling of the fluctuations of offshore wind generation. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 96: 2327–2347. , , , , ,
- 2006. Quantiles for finite mixtures of Normal distributions. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology 37: 352–357. , ,
- 1997. On recursive estimation for hidden Markov models. Stochastic Processes and their Applications 66: 79–96.
- 2006. Short-term prediction of wind energy production. International Journal of Forecasting 22: 43–56.
- 2008. Adaptive combination of forecasts with application to wind energy. International Journal of Forecasting 22: 679–693.
- 2002. Bayesian methods for hidden Markov models: recursive computing in the 21th century. Journal of the American Statistical Association 97: 337–351.
- 2009. Probabilistic wind speed forecasting using ensembles and Bayesian model averaging. Journal of the American Statistical Association 105: 25–35. , ,
- 2007. Power fluctuations from large wind farms. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 22: 958–965. , , , , , ,
- 2008. Modelling of power fluctuations from large offshore wind farms. Wind Energy 11: 29–43. , , , , , , ,
- 1999. Online estimation of hidden Markov models. 1999. IEEE Signal Processing Letters 6: 213–215. ,
- 1974. Cross-validation and assessment of statistical predictions (with discussion). Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B 36: 111–147.
- 1977. Solutions of Ill-Posed Problems. Winston: Washington, DC. ,
- 2003. Probability and ensemble forecasts. In Forecast Verification: A Practitioner's Guide in Atmospheric Science, Jolliffe IT, Stephenson DB (eds). Wiley: New York; 137–163. , , ,
- 2008. Resolving non-stationary spectral information in wind speed time-series using the Hilbert–Huang transform. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 49: 253–267. , , ,