Forecasting Private Consumption by Consumer Surveys
Article first published online: 29 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of Forecasting
Volume 32, Issue 1, pages 10–18, January 2013
How to Cite
Dreger, C. and Kholodilin, K. A. (2013), Forecasting Private Consumption by Consumer Surveys. J. Forecast., 32: 10–18. doi: 10.1002/for.1245
- Issue published online: 26 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 29 NOV 2011
- 1994. Consumer confidence and rational expectations: are agents beliefs consistent with the theory? Economic Journal 104: 1–19. , .
- 2009. Consumer confidence indices and short term forecasting of consumption. Manchester School 77: 96–111. , , .
- 1998. Does consumer confidence forecast household expenditure? A sentiment index horse race. Economic Policy Review 4: 59–78. , .
- 1991. The response of consumption to income: a cross-country investigation. European Economic Review 35: 723–767. , .
- 1994. Does consumer sentiment forecast household spending? If so, why? American Economic Review 84: 1397–1408. , , .
- 2005. Do consumer-confidence indexes help forecast consumer spending in real time? North American Journal of Economics and Finance 16: 435–450. .
- 1995. Comparing predictive accuracy. Journal of Business and Economic Statistics 13: 253–263. , .
- 2004. How should we measure consumer confidence? Journal of Economic Perspectives 18: 51–66. , .
- 2009. The role of asset prices for private consumption: evidence from panel econometric models. Discussion Paper 872, DIW, Berlin. , .
- 2005. The out-of sample performance of leading indicators for the German business cycle. Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis 2: 71–88. , .
- 2005. Does consumer sentiment accurately forecast UK household consumption? Are there any comparisons to be made with the US? Journal of Macroeconomics 27: 517–532. , , .
- 1998. Aggregate consumer expectation indexes as indicators of future consumer expenditures. Journal of Economic Psychology 19: 215–235. , , .
- European Commission. 2007. The joint harmonised EU programme of business and consumer surveys: user guide. Brussels.
- 1981. The adjustment of consumption to changing expectations about future income. Journal of Political Economy 89: 974–1009. .
- 2006. Using factor models to construct composite indicators from BCS Data: a comparison with European Commission confidence indicators, European Economy, Economic Paper 240. European Commission, Brussels. , .
- 2007. MIDAS regressions: further results and new directions. Econometric Reviews 26: 53–90. , , .
- 2006. Tests of conditional predictive ability. Econometrica 74: 1545–1578. , .
- 1978. Stochastic implications of the life cycle-permanent income hypothesis: theory and evidence. Journal of Political Economy 86: 971–987. .
- 2005. Model confidence sets for forecasting models. Working Paper 2005-07, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. , , .
- 1998. Tests of forecasting encompassing. Journal of Business and Economic Statistics 16: 254–259. , , .
- 2001. The predictive power of the index of consumer sentiment. Brooking Papers on Economic Activity 1: 175–216. .
- 2009. The quest for the best consumer confidence indicator. European Economy, Economic Paper 372. European Commission, Brussels. , .
- 2004. Consumer confidence and consumer spending. Journal of Economic Perspectives 18: 29–50. .
- 2004. Which survey indicators are useful for monitoring consumption? Evidence from European countries. Journal of Forecasting 23: 89–98. , .