Susceptibility of sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) peel proteins to digestive enzymes
Article first published online: 1 APR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages 351–360, July 2014
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2014; 2(4): 351–360
- Issue published online: 11 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 1 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 16 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 27 NOV 2013
- North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission
- North Carolina Biomanufacturing Training and Education Center
- National Institute of Food and Agriculture. Grant Number: NC02271
- 2009. Amylases, α and β. Methods Enzymol. 1:149–158.
- 1982. Starch blockers–their effect on calorie absorption from a high-starch meal. N. Engl. J. Med. 307:1413–1416. , , , and .
- 1984. Analysis of sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) from the highlands of Papua New Guinea: relevance to the incidence of Enteritis necroticans. J. Agric. Food Chem. 32:469–473. , , , , and .
- 1999. Identification of α-amylase inhibitors in triticale grain. J. Sci. Food Agric. 79:1671–1675. , , , , and .
- 2009. Susceptibility of lupin gamma-conglutin, the plasma glucose-lowering protein of lupin seeds, to proteolytic enzymes. J. Agric. Food Chem. 57:8612–8616. , , , and .
- 1983. A bean α-amylase inhibitor formulation (starch blocker) is ineffective in man. Science 219:393–395. , , , and .
- 1997. Intestinal absorption of undegraded proteins in men: presence of bromelain in plasma after oral intake. Am. J. Physiol. 273:G139–G146. , , , and .
- 2009. Cloning, expression, and purification of a functional glutathione reductase from sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas [L.] Lam): kinetic studies and characterization. J. Agric. Food Chem. 57:4403–4408. , , , , and .
- 2000. Factors affecting the in vitro protein digestibility of chickpea albumins. J. Sci. Food Agric. 80:79–84. , , , , , and .
- 1987. Malt diastatic activity. II. A modified EBC diastatic power assay for the selective estimation of β-amylase activity. Time and temperature dependence of the release of reducing sugars. J. Inst. Brew. 93:296–301. , and .
- 1976. Double-headed protease inhibitors from black-eyed peas. I. Purification of two new protease inhibitors and the endogenous protease by affinity chromatography. J. Biol. Chem. 251:734–740. , and .
- 1998. Characterization of a purified α-amylase inhibitor from white kidney beans (Phaseolus vulgaris). Food Res. Int. 31:217–225. , and .
- 1998. Amylase inhibitors of pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan) seeds. Phytochemistry 47:197–202. , and .
- 2003. Challenges for the oral delivery of macromolecules. Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 2:289–295. , and .
- 2007. Characterization of α-amylase inhibitor from Palo Fierro seeds. Plant Physiol. Biochem. 45:711–715. , , , , and .
- 1994. Sweet potato alpha- and beta-amylases: characterization and kinetic studies with endogenous inhibitors. J. Food Sci. 59:373–376. , , and .
- 1997. Polyamine-bound trypsin inhibitors in sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas [L.] Lam cv. Tainong 57) storage roots, sprouted roots and sprouts. Plant Sci. 126:11–19. , and .
- 2001. Antioxidant activities of trypsin inhibitor, a 33 KDa root storage protein of sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam cv. Tainong 57). J. Agric. Food Chem. 49:2978–2981. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Storage proteins of two cultivars of sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L.) and their protease hydrolysates exhibited antioxidant activity in vitro. Plant Sci. 168:449–456. , , , , and .
- 2007a. Inhibition of reactive nitrogen species in vitro and ex vivo by trypsin inhibitor from sweet potato ‘Tainong 57’ storage roots. J. Agric. Food Chem. 55:6000–6006. , , , , and .
- 2007b. Growth inhibition and induction of apoptosis in NB4 promyelocytic leukemia cells by trypsin inhibitor from sweet potato storage roots. J. Agric. Food Chem. 55:2548–2553. , , , , and .
- 2008. Effects of trypsin inhibitor on plasma antioxidant activity and lipid levels in mice from sweet potato roots. J. Sci. Food Agric. 88:2556–2562. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Studies on the intestinal absorption of pollen proteins, observations on rat. Acta Histochem. Cytochem. 35:295–303. , , , , and .
- 2007. Bifunctional inhibitor of α-amylase/trypsin from wheat grain. Appl. Biochem. Microbiol. 43:379–382. , and .
- 2007. Purification of a trypsin inhibitor from sweet potato in an aqueous two phase system. Biotechnol. Lett. 29:137–140. , , , and .
- 2003. Inactivation of trypsin inhibitors in sweet potato and taro tubers during processing. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 58:153–163. , and .
- 1992. Occurrence in leguminous seeds, resistance to protease digestion and antigenicity of an α-amylase inhibitor. Food Chem. 43:47–50. , , , and .
- 2005. Effects of the white-skinned sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L.) on the expression of adipocytokine in adipose tissue of genetic type 2 diabetic mice. Food Sci. Technol. Res. 11:369–372. , , and .
- 2007. A trypsin inhibitor from Cassia obtusifolia seeds: isolation, characterization and activity against Pieris rapae. Biotechnol. Lett. 29:653–658. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Mode of action of Ipomoea batatas (Caiapo) in type 2 diabetic patients. Metabolism 52:875–880. , , , , and .
- 2004a. Efficacy of Ipomoea batatas (Caiapo) on diabetes control in type 2 diabetic subjects treated with diet. Diabetes Care 27:436–440. , , and .
- 2004b. Improved metabolic control by Ipomoea batatas (Caiapo) is associated with increased adiponectin and decreased fibrinogen levels in type 2 diabetic subjects. Diabetes Obes. Metab. 10:586–592. , , and .
- 1985. Characterization of major proteins in sweet potato tuberous roots. Phytochemistry 24:1899–1902. , , and .
- 2012. Chemical optimization of protein extraction from sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) peel. J. Food Sci. 77(11):E308–E312. , , and .
- 2009. In vitro digestibility of beta-casein and beta-lactoglobulin under simulated human gastric and duodenal conditions: a multi-laboratory evaluation. Regul. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 55:372–381. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. 2S albumin storage proteins: what makes them food allergens? Open Biochem. J. 2:16–28. , and .
- 1984. Isolation and characterization of some proteolytic enzyme inhibitors in sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas). Enzyme Microb. Technol. 6:132–134. , and .
- 2002. Alpha-amylase inhibitor changes during processing of sweet potato and taro tubers. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 57:285–294. , and .
- 1997. Cultivar differences in the apparent amylase inhibitory activity of taro tubers. J. Root Crops 23:39–44. , , and .
- 1999. Cultivar differences in the alpha-amylase inhibitor activity of sweet potato and yam tubers. J. Root Crops 25:185–191. , , , and .
- 2002. Proteinase and alpha-amylase inhibitors of sweet potato: changes during growth phase, sprouting, and wound induced alterations. Bot. Bull. Acad. Sin. 43:291–298. , , and .
- 2004. Purification and partial characterization of proteinase and α-amylase inhibitors from lesser yam (Dioscorea esculenta). Int. J. Food Prop. 7:185–199. , , and .
- 1998. Intestinal absorption of lysozyme molecules and their destination, an immunohistochemical study on rat. Acta Histochem. Cytochem. 31:329–334. , , , , , and .
- 1979. Natural plant enzyme inhibitors: part VII–Alpha amylase inhibitors & amylases in plant tubers. Indian J. Biochem. Biophys. 16:52–55. , , and .
- 1999. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of Folin-Ciocalteu reagent. Methods Enzymol. 299(14):152–178. , , and .
- 1973. Studies on trypsin inhibitors in sweet potato I. Purification and some properties. Biochim Biophys Acta (BBA) - Protein. Structure 328:407–417. , , , , and .
- 1996. Two dual trypsin/chymotrypsin iso-inhibitors purified from Festuca arundinacea seed. Phytochemistry 43:983–988. , , , and .
- 2007. Vegetative storage protein in Litchi chinensis, a subtropical evergreen fruit tree, possesses trypsin inhibitor activity. Ann. Bot. 100:1199–1208. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Functional activity of sporamin from sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas Lam.): a tuber storage protein with trypsin inhibitory activity. Plant Mol. Biol. 33:565–570. , , , , and .
- 2001. Trypsin inhibitor activity in vegetative tissue of sweet potato plants and its response to heat treatment. J. Sci. Food Agric. 81:1358–1363. , and .