Feasibility and application of a retronasal aroma-trapping device to study in vivo aroma release during the consumption of model wine-derived beverages
Version of Record online: 6 APR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages 361–370, July 2014
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2014; 2(4): 361–370
- Issue online: 11 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 6 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 7 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 6 FEB 2014
- MINECO. Grant Number: AGL2012-04172-co2-01
- CONSOLIDER INGENIO 2010. Grant Number: CSD2007-063
- 2009. Analytical performance of three commonly used extraction methods for the gas chromatography-mass spectrometry analysis of wine volatile compounds. J. Chromatogr. A 1216:7351–7357. , , , and .
- 2007. PTR-MS study of esters in water and water/ethanol solutions: fragmentation patterns and partition coefficients. Int. J. Mass Spectrom. 262:114–121. , , , and .
- 2004. Headspace analysis of volatile organic compounds from ethanolic systems by direct APCI-MS. Int. J. Mass Spectrom. 239:17–25. , , , , and .
- 2000. Exhaled odorant measurement (EXOM) - a new approach to quantify the degree of in-mouth release of food aroma compounds. Lebensm-Wiss Technol. Food Sci. Technol. 33:553–559. , and .
- 2001. Observation of the swallowing process by application of videofluoroscopy and real-time magnetic resonance imaging-consequences for retronasal aroma stimulation. Chem. Senses 26:1211–1219. , , , and .
- 2002. Physiological and analytical studies on flavor perception dynamics as induced by the eating and swallowing process. Food Qual. Prefer. 13:497–504. , , , , and .
- 2011. Effects of ethanol, carbonation and hop acids on volatile delivery in a model beer system. J I Brewing 117:74–81. , , , and .
- 1996. Comparison of dynamic flavour release from hard cheeses and analysis of headspace volatiles from the mouth with flavour perception during consumption. J. Sci. Food Agric. 71:273–281. , , , and .
- 2011. Impact of swallowing on the dynamics of aroma release and perception during the consumption of alcoholic beverages. Chem. Senses 36:701–713. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Comparison of direct mass spectrometry methods for the on-line analysis of volatile compounds in foods. J. Mass Spectrom. 48:594–607. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999a. Interactions between wine polyphenols and aroma substances. An insight at the molecular level. J. Agric. Food Chem. 47:678–684. , and .
- 1999b. Influence of wine structurally different polysaccharides on the volatility of aroma substances in a model system. J. Agric. Food Chem. 47:671–677. , and .
- 2000. Interactions between anthocyanins and aroma substances in a model system. Effect on the flavor of grape-derived beverages. J. Agric. Food Chem. 48:1784–1788. , and .
- 1999. Effect of ethanol strength on the volatility of higher alcohols and aldehydes. Ital. J. Food Sci. 11:241–248. , , , and .
- 2000. An empirical model to predict the headspace concentration of volatile compounds above solutions containing sucrose. Food Chem. 71:309–317. , , and .
- 2009. Simulation of retronasal aroma of white and red wine in a model mouth system. Investigating the influence of saliva on volatile compound concentrations. Food Chem. 114:100–107. , , , and .
- 2001. Effect of changes in pH on the release of flavour compounds from a soft drink-related model system. Food Chem. 74:429–435. , , , and .
- 2001. Evaporative instabilities in climbing films. J. Fluid Mech. 442:217–239. , and .
- 2008. The influence of interactions between major white wine components on the aroma, flavour and texture of model white wine. Food Qual. Prefer. 19:596–607. , , , and .
- 2009. Investigation of the retronasal perception of palm wine (Elaeis guineensis) aroma by application of sensory analysis and exhaled odorant measurement (EOM). S. Afr. J. Enol. Vitic. 9:793–813. , , and .
- 1998. Proton-transfer-reaction mass spectrometry (PTR-MS): on-line monitoring of volatile organic compounds at pptv levels. Chem. Soc. Rev. 27:347–354. , , and .
- 2002. Determination of minor and trace volatile compounds in wine by solid-phase extraction and gas chromatography with mass spectrometric detection. J. Chromatogr. A 966:167–177. , , , and .
- 2000. Optimisation and validation of the “strathclyde simulated mouth” for beverage flavour research. J. Int. Brew. 106:101–105. , , , and .
- 2011. Beyond the characterization of wine aroma compounds: looking for analytical approaches in trying to understand aroma perception during wine consumption. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 401:1497–1512. , , , and .
- 1998. Flavor release from mixtures of sodium cyclamate, sucrose, and an orange aroma. J. Agric. Food Chem. 46:4963–4968. , , , and .
- 2013. How can aroma-related cross-modal interactions be analysed? A review of current methodologies. Food Qual. Prefer. 28:304–316. , , , , and .
- 2009. Interactions between wine matrix macro-components and aroma compounds. Pp. 417–435 in M. V. Moreno-Arribas and M. C. Polo, eds. Wine chemistry and biochemistry. Springer, New York, NY. , and .
- 2009. Interactions between wine volatile compounds and grape and wine matrix components influence aroma compound headspace partitioning. J. Agric. Food Chem. 57:10313–10322. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Determination of esters in dry and sweet white wines by headspace solid-phase microextraction and gas chromatography. J. Chromatogr. A 963:213–223. , , , , and .
- 2011. Assessment of the effect of the non-volatile wine matrix on the volatility of typical wine aroma compounds by headspace solid phase microextraction/gas chromatography analysis. J. Sci. Food Agric. 91:2484–2494. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Effects of the nonvolatile matrix on the aroma perception of wine. J. Agric. Food Chem. 58:5574–5585. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Influence of composition (CO2 and sugar) on aroma release and perception of mint-flavored carbonated beverages. J. Agric. Food Chem. 57:5891–5898. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Instrumental methods (spectroscopy, electronic nose, and tongue) as tools to predict taste and aroma in beverages: advantages and limitations. Chem. Rev. 113:1429–1440. , and .
- 2000. Techniques for measuring volatile release in vivo during consumption of food. Vol. 763 Pp. 8–21. ACS Symposium Series, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC. , and .
- 2005. Dynamic headspace analysis of the release of volatile organic compounds from ethanolic systems by direct APCI-MS. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:8328–8333. , , and .
- 2003. A protocol for measurement of in vivo aroma release from beverages. J. Food Sci. 68:1123–1128. , , , , , and .
- 2004. New device to simulate swallowing and in vivo aroma release in the throat from liquid and semiliquid food systems. J. Agric. Food Chem. 52:6564–6571. , , , , , , et al.