Assessing the survival of exogenous plant microRNA in mice
Article first published online: 15 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages 380–388, July 2014
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2014; 2(4): 380–388
- Issue published online: 11 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 15 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 11 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 3 JUL 2013
- National Basic Research Program of China. Grant Number: 2013CB932902
- NSFC. Grant Numbers: 61071047, 81071230
- 2013. MicroRNA-199a is induced in dystrophic muscle and affects WNT signaling, cell proliferation, and myogenic differentiation. Cell Death Differ. 20:1194–1208. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The functions of animal microRNAs. Nature 431:350–355.
- 2005. Regulation by let-7 and lin-4 miRNAs results in target mRNA degradation. Cell 122:553–563. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. MicroRNAs: genomics, biogenesis, mechanism, and function. Cell 131:11–29.
- 2003. Role of microRNAs in plant and animal development. Science 301:336–338. , and .
- 2009. Active turnover modulates mature microRNA activity in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nature 461:546-U120. , and .
- 2005. Real-time quantification of microRNAs by stem-loop RT-PCR. Nucleic Acids Res. 33:e179. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Characterization of microRNAs in serum: a novel class of biomarkers for diagnosis of cancer and other diseases. Cell Res. 18:997–1006. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. RNAi: an ever-growing puzzle. Trends Biochem. Sci. 28:196–201. , and .
- 2004. Specificity of microRNA target selection in translational repression. Genes Dev. 18:504–511. , and .
- 2012. Dual regulation of miRNA biogenesis generates target specificity in neurotrophin-induced protein synthesis. Cell 148:933–946. , , , , and .
- 2013. A significant fraction of 21-nucleotide small RNA originates from phased degradation of resistance genes in several perennial species. Plant Physiol. 162:741–754. , , , and .
- 2007. Specificity, duplex degradation and subcellular localization of antagomirs. Nucleic Acids Res. 35:2885–2892. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. An extensive class of small RNAs in Caenorhabditis elegans. Science 294:862–864. , and .
- 1993. The C-elegans heterochronic gene lin-4 encodes small RNAs with antisense complementarity to lin-14. Cell 75:843–854. , , and .
- 2013. A miR-34a-SIRT6 axis in the squamous cell differentiation network. EMBO J. 32:2248–2263. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Microarray analysis shows that some microRNAs downregulate large numbers of target mRNAs. Nature 433:769–773. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. A viral suppressor of RNA silencing differentially regulates the accumulation of short interfering RNAs and micro-RNAs in tobacco. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 99:15228–15233. , , , , and .
- 2008. Circulating microRNAs as stable blood-based markers for cancer detection. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105:10513–10518. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Pulmonary bioavailability of a phosphorothioate oligonucleotide (CGP 64128A): comparison with other delivery routes. Pharm. Res. 15:583–591. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Intestinal delivery of non-viral gene therapeutics: physiological barriers and preclinical models. Drug Discov. Today 16:203–218. , , , and .
- 2013. Safety assessment of food and feed from biotechnology-derived crops employing RNA-mediated gene regulation to achieve desired traits: a scientific review. Regul. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 66:167–176. , , , and .
- 2005. Inhibition of translational initiation by Let-7 microRNA in human cells. Science 309:1573–1576. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. MicroRNAs in plants. Genes Dev. 16:1616–1626. , , , , and .
- 2008. Real-time PCR quantification of precursor and mature microRNA. Methods 44:31–38. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Foreign (M13) DNA ingested by mice reaches peripheral leukocytes, spleen, and liver via the intestinal wall mucosa and can be covalently linked to mouse DNA. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94:961–966. , , , and .
- 2013. Ineffective delivery of diet-derived microRNAs to recipient animal organisms. RNA Biol. 10:1107–1116. , , , , and .
- 2006. MicroRNA expression profiling of single whole embryonic stem cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 34:e9. , , , , and .
- 2011. LIN-28 co-transcriptionally binds primary let-7 to regulate miRNA maturation in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 18:302–U386. , , , , , and
- 2013. Real-time quantitative PCR and droplet digital PCR for plant miRNAs in mammalian blood provide little evidence for general uptake of dietary miRNAs. RNA Biol. 10:1080–1086. , , , and .
- 2012. Exogenous plant MIR168a specifically targets mammalian LDLRAP1: evidence of cross-kingdom regulation by microRNA. Cell Res. 22:107–126. , , , , , , et al.