Sensory characteristics of high-amylose maize-resistant starch in three food products
Article first published online: 20 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 117–124, March 2013
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2013; 1(2): 117–124
- Issue published online: 14 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 20 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 10 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 1 OCT 2012
- Research Enhancement Program of Texas Woman's University
- Ingredion International
- Texas Woman's University Research Enhancement Program
- Ingredion International
- AACC International. 2000. Approved methods of analysis, 10th ed. Method: 44-01.01. Calculation of percent moisture. American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN.
- 2011. Physiochemical properties and sensory attributes of resistant starch – supplemented granola bars and cereals. LWT – Food Sci. Technol. 44:2159–2165. , , , and .
- American Dietetic Association. 2008. Health implications of dietary fiber position paper. J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 108:1716–1731.
- 2010. Relation between estimates of cornstarch digestibility by the Englyst in vitro method and glycemic response, subjective appetite, and short-term food intake in young men. J. Clin. Nutr. 91:932–939. , , , , , and .
- 2009. New functional fibre in milk puddings: effect on sensory properties and consumers' acceptability. LWT – Food Sci. Technol. 42:710–716. , , , , and .
- 2008a. Distinctive sensory features introduced by resistant starch in baked products. LWT – Food Sci. Technol. 41:1927–1933. , , , and .
- 2008b. Textural and colour changes during storage and sensory shelf life of muffins containing resistant starch. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 226:523–530. , , and .
- 1996. Resistant starch as energy. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 15:248–254. , and .
- 2010. Acute ingestion of resistant starch reduces food intake in healthy adults. Br. J. Nutr. 103:917–922. , , and .
- 1992. Classification and measurement of nutritionally important starch fractions. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 46:S33–S50. , , and .
- 2011. In vitro and in vivo assessment of the glycemic index of bakery products: influence of the reformulation of ingredients. Eur. J. Nutr. 51:947–954. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Physical and sensory evaluation of lean white cakes containing substituted fluffy cellulose. Cereal Chem. 66:402–404. , , and .
- 2010. Resistant starch as functional ingredient: a review. Food Res. Int. 43:931–942. , , , and .
- 2004. Resistant starch: metabolic effects and potential health benefits. J. AOAC Int. 87:761–768.
- 1995. Oral perception of grittiness: effect of particle size and concentration of the dispersed particles and the dispersion medium. J. Texture Stud. 26:561–576. , , and .
- Institute of Medicine, Food and Nutrition Board. 2002. Dietary reference intakes: energy, carbohydrates, fiber, fat, fatty acids, cholesterol, protein and amino acids. National Academies Press, Washington, DC.
- 2010. Resistant starch improves insulin sensitivity in metabolic syndrome. Diabet. Med. 27:391–397. , , , , and .
- 2009. The impact of resistant starch on gluten-free dough and bread. Food Hydrocolloids 23:988–995. , , , and .
- 1995. Epidemiology of fibre, resistant starch, and colorectal cancer. Eur. J. Cancer Prev. 4:345–352.
- 2009. The effect of undigested fraction of maize products on the activity and composition of the microbiota determined in a dynamic in vitro model of the human proximal large intestine. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 28:657–666. , , , , and .
- 2012. Resistant starch from high-amylose maize increases insulin sensitivity in overweight and obese men. J. Nutr. 142:717–723. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Resistant starch intakes in the United States. J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 108:670–678. , , and .
- 2005. Health properties of resistant starch. Nutr. Bull. 30:27–54.
- 2010. Resistant starch: a review of analytical protocols for determining resistant starch of factors affecting the resistant starch content of foods. Food Res. Int. 43:1959–1974. , , and .
- 2005. Dietary fiber as a versatile food component: an industrial perspective. Mol. Nutr. Food Res. 49:521–535. , and .
- 2003. Prior short-term consumption of resistant starch enhances postprandial insulin sensitivity in healthy subjects. Diabetologia 46:659–665. , , , , and .
- 2005. Insulin-sensitizing effects of dietary resistant starch and effects on skeletal muscle and adipose tissue metabolism. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 82:559–567. , , , , and .
- 2009. Physico-chemical properties of commercial fibres from different sources: a comparative approach. Food Res. Int. 42:176–184. , , and .
- 2006. Resistant starch – a review. Compr. Rev. Food Sci. Food Saf. 5:1–17. , , and .
- 2008. Resistant starch (RS) in battered fried products: functionality and high-fibre benefit. Food Hydrocolloids 22:543–549. , , and .
- 2009. Evaluation of four types of resistant starch in muffins. II. Effects in texture, colour, and consumer response. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 229:197–204. , , , and .
- 2008. Resistant starch: physiological roles and food applications. Food Rev. Int. 24:193–234. , , and .
- 2011. Inhibition by resistant starch of red meat-induced promutagenic adducts in mouse colon. Cancer Prev. Res. 4:1920–1928. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Effect of bread containing resistant starch on postprandial blood glucose levels in humans. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 69:559–566. , , , , , , et al.