Emulsion stabilizing capacity of intact starch granules modified by heat treatment or octenyl succinic anhydride
Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 157–171, March 2013
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2013; 1(2): 117–124
- Issue online: 14 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 15 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 28 SEP 2012
- Lund University Antidiabetic Food Centre
- 2003. Emulsions stabilised solely by colloidal particles. Adv. Colloid Interface Sci. 100–102:503–546. , , and .
- 2006. Process optimization for the synthesis of octenyl succinyl derivative of waxy corn and amaranth starches. Carbohydr. Polym. 66:521–527. , and .
- 2002. Particles as surfactants – similarities and differences. Curr. Opin. Colloid Interface Sci. 7:21–41.
- 2000. Catastrophic phase inversion of water-in-oil emulsions stabilized by hydrophobic silica. Langmuir 16:2539–2547. , and .
- 2004. Silica particle-stabilized emulsions of silicone oil and water: aspects of emulsification. Langmuir 20:1130–1137. , and .
- 2005. Naturally occurring spore particles at planar fluid interfaces and in emulsions. Langmuir 21:8161–8167. , , , , and .
- 2002. Confocal microscopy of a dense particle system. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 245:75–80. , and .
- 2009. Hydrocolloids as emulsifiers and emulsion stabilizers. Food Hydrocolloids 23:1473–1482.
- 2010. Food emulsions and foams: stabilization by particles. Curr. Opin. Colloid Interface Sci. 15:40–49.
- 2007. Pickering emulsions with stimulable particles: from highly- to weakly-covered interfaces. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 9:6455–6462. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Anthology of starch granule morphology by scanning electron microscopy. Starch 46:121–129. , , , and .
- 2009. Exploiting particle shape in solid stabilized emulsions. Soft Matter 5:1717–1727. , , , and .
- 2012. Characterization of starch Pickering emulsions for potential applications in topical formulations. Int. J. Pharm. 428:1–7. , , , , and .
- 2007. Critical review of techniques and methodologies for characterization of emulsion stability. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 47:611–649.
- 1999. Effect of aqueous phase composition on the properties of a silica-stabilized W/O emulsion. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 213:352–359.
- 2011. Stabilization of foams and emulsions by mixtures of surface active food-grade particles and proteins. Food Hydrocolloids 25:627–638. , , , and .
- 2006. Adsorption of hydrophobically modified starch at oil/water interfaces during emulsification. Langmuir 22:8770–8776. , and .
- 1907. Emulsions. J. Chem. Soc. 91:2001.
- 1903. Separation of solids in the surface-layers of solutions and ‘suspensions’ (observations on surface-membranes, bubbles, emulsions, and mechanical coagulation) – preliminary account. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. 72:156–164.
- 2012a. Quinoa starch granules as stabilizing particles for production of Pickering emulsions. Faraday Discuss. 158:139–155. , , , and .
- 2012b. Quinoa starch granules: a candidate for stabilising food-grade Pickering emulsions. J. Sci. Food Agric. 92:1841–1847. , , , and .
- 1984. Oil-binding ability of heat-treated wheat starch. Cereal Chem. 61:248–250.
- 2000. Distribution of octenyl succinate groups in octenyl succinic anhydride modified waxy maize starch. Starch 52:196–204. , , , and .
- 2003. Interrelation between drop size and protein adsorption at various emulsification conditions. Langmuir 19:5640–5649. , , , , and .
- 2002. Stabilization of emulsions by OSA starches. J. Food Eng. 54:167–174. , , and .
- 2011. Starch particles for food based Pickering emulsions. Proc. Food Sci. 1:95–103. , , , and .
- 2003. Pickering emulsions: interfacial tension, colloidal layer morphology, and trapped-particle motion. Langmuir 19:6650–6656. , , and .
- 1995. Modified starches. Pp. 67–98 in A. M. Stephen, ed. Food polysaccharides and their applications. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York.
- 2011. Modified starch granules as particle-stabilizers of oil-in-water emulsions. Food Hydrocolloids 25:42–55. , and .