Response surface optimization of ultrasonic-assisted extraction of carotenoids from oil palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.) fronds
Article first published online: 4 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 1, Issue 3, pages 209–221, May 2013
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2013; 1(3): 209–221
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 4 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 4 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 SEP 2012
- Universiti Sains Malaysia. Grant Number: 854002
- USM Fellowship
- 2005. Optimization of coagulation–flocculation process for palm oil mill effluent using response surface methodology. Environ. Sci. Technol. 39:2828–2834. , , and .
- 2007. Relationship between the colour and the chemical structure of carotenoid pigments. Food Chem. 101:1145–1150. , , and .
- 1992. Pp. 132–189 in Optimum experimental designs. Oxford University Press, Oxford, U.K. , and .
- 1971. Use of carotenoids. Pp. 743–770 in O. Isler, ed. Carotenoids. Birkhaüser Verlag, Basel. , , , and .
- 2007. Isolation and structural characterization of hemicelluloses from palm of Phoenix dactylifera L. Carbohydr. Polym. 68:601–608. , , , and .
- 1960. Some new three level designs for the study of quantitative variables. Technometrics 2:455–475. , and .
- 1951. On the experimental attainment of optimum conditions (with discussion). J. Roy. Stat. Soc. B 13:1–45. , and .
- 1995. UV/visible spectroscopy. Pp. 13–63 in G. Britton, S. Liaaen-Jensen, and H. Pfander, eds. Carotenoids: spectroscopy, vol. 1B. Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel. .
- 2010. Response surface methodology for protein extraction optimization of red pepper seed (Capsicum frutescens). Food Sci. Technol. 43:226–231. , and .
- 2007. Box–Behnken design: an alternative for the optimization of analytical methods. Anal. Chim. Acta 597:179–186. , , , and .
- 1999. Diabetes mellitus and serum carotenoids: findings from the third national health and nutrition examination survey. Am. J. Epidemiol. 149:168–176. , , , and .
- 2001. Carotenoids are degraded by free radicals but do not affect lipid peroxidation in unilamellar liposomes under different oxygen tensions. FEBS Lett. 505:151–154. , and .
- 2008. Optimization of carotenoids extraction from Rhodobacter sphaeroides. LWT 41:1082–1088. , , , , and .
- 2010. Optimization of extraction process by response surface methodology and preliminary characterization of polysaccharides from Phellinus igniarius. Carbohydr. Polym. 80:344–349. , , and .
- 2006. Carotenoid-biofortified maize maintains adequate vitamin a status in Mongolian gerbils. J. Nutr. 136:2562–2567. , and .
- 2008. Optimization of ultrasound-assisted extraction of phenolic compounds from wheat bran. Food Chem. 106:804–810. , , , , and .
- 1996. Response surfaces: design and analyses. 2nd ed. Marcel Dekker, New York. , and .
- 2003. Biologic mechanisms of the protective role of lutein and zeaxanthin in the eye. Annu. Rev. Nutr. 23:171–193. , , and .
- 2000. Design of experiments: statistical principles of research design and analysis. 2nd ed. Duxbury Press, Pacific Grove, CA.
- 2008. Optimization and comparison of ultrasound/microwave assisted extraction (UMAE) and ultrasonic assisted extraction (UAE) of lycopene from tomatoes. Ultrason. Sonochem. 15:731–737. , and .
- 2008. Extraction of carotenoids and chlorophyll from microalgae with supercritical carbon dioxide and ethanol as co-solvent. J. Sep. Sci. 31:1352–1362. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Statistical design and analysis of experiments: eighth applications to engineering and science. 2nd ed. John Wiley & Sons, New York. , , and .
- 2007. Functional properties of carotenoids in human health. Int. J. Food Prop. 10:201–230. , and .
- 2012. Degradation of edible oil during food processing by ultrasound: electron paramagnetic resonance, physicochemical, and sensory appreciation. J. Agric. Food Chem. 60:7761–7768. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Optimisation of the solvent extraction of phenolic antioxidants from fruits of Euterpe oleracea using response surface methodology. Bioresour. Technol. 100:6076–6082. , , and .
- 2005. Sediment matrix induced response enhancement in the gas chromatographic–mass spectrometric quantification of insecticides in four different solvent extracts from ultrasonic and soxhlet extraction. Chromatographia 62:159–165. , and .
- 2007. Optimization of extraction of phenolics from Inga edulis leaves using response surface methodology. Sep. Purif. Technol. 55:318–387. , , and .
- 2001. An overview of the ultrasonically assisted extraction of bioactive principles from herbs. Ultrason. Sonochem. 8:303–313.
- 2004. Recent development on the processing and utilization of complete feed based on oil palm fronds for ruminant feeding in Malaysia. Pp. 24–27 in R. Tanaka and L. H. Cheng, eds. Proceedings of the 3rd USM-JIRCAS Joint International Symposium, JIRCAS Working Report No. 39, Penang, Malaysia. , , , and .
- 2006. Recent advances in extraction of nutraceuticals from plants. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 17:300–312. , and .
- 2008. Effects of Forsythia suspensa extract on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, and antioxidant activities in broiler chickens under high ambient temperature. Poult. Sci. 87:1287–1294. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Ultrasound-assisted extraction of corn carotenoids in ethanol. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 46:2131–2136. , , , and .
- 2006. Renewable energy from palm oil-innovation on effective utilization of waste. J. Cleaner Prod. 14:87–93.
- 2010. Optimization of ultrasonic extraction of polysaccharides from dried longan pulp using response surface methodology. Carbohyd. Polym. 80:19–25. and .