Microbial contribution to spoilage of African breadfruit (Artocarpus communis, Forst) during storage
Version of Record online: 2 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 1, Issue 3, pages 235–240, May 2013
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2013; 1(3): 235–240
- Issue online: 13 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 12 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 DEC 2012
- Olusegun B. Ajayi
- 2007. Nutrient composition of Africana breadfruit (Treculia africana) seed hull and its use in diets for the African giant land snail Arachachatina marginata. Pak. J. Nutr. 6:201–203. , and .
- 1995. Studies on the baking properties of non-wheat flours – I. Breadfruit (Artocarpus artilis). Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 46:267–273. , and .
- 1998. P. 78 in Laboratory manual of microbiology. 2nd ed. Spectrum Books Limited, Ibadan, Nigeria. , and .
- 1981. Composition of the breadfruit. J. Food Sci. 46:535–539. , and .
- 1991. Pearson's composition and analysis of foods. 9th ed. Longman, Singapore. , and .
- 2008. Effects of lactic acid bacteria and Saccharomyces cerevisae co-cultures used as starters on the nutritional contents and shelf life of cassava-wheat bread. J. Appl. Biosci. 12:612–622. , , , , and .
- 2008. Microbiological, proximate analysis and sensory evaluation of baked products from blends of wheat-breadfruit flours. Afr. J. Food Agric. Nutr. Dev. 8. Available at http://www.ropkenya.org (accessed 10 October 2010). , and .
- 2007. Quality characteristics of bread produced from composite flour of wheat, plantain and soybean. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 5:1102–1106. , , and .
- 1978. Comparative rheological properties and bread qualities of wheat flour diluted with tropical tuber and breadfruit flours. Cereal Chem. 55:1–6. , and .
- 2000. Overview of the status of breadfruit in Africa. Available at http://www.actahort.org/member/showpdf?booknranrnr=7576 (accessed 10 October 2010).
- 1989. Microbes associated with field spoilage of breadfruit. J. Sci. Technol. 22:175–178. , and .
- 2003. Comparison of the physicochemical properties and pasting characteristics of flour and starch from red and white sweet potato cultivars. J. Agric. Food Chem. 51:2232–2236. , , , and .
- 1975. Pp. 20–30 in Postharvest physiology, handling and utilization of tropical and sub-tropical fruits and vegetables. AVI, Westpost.
- 2006. Studies on in vitro cultures of breadfruit in the Pacific. Available at: ntbg.org/breadfruit/research/bfi_projects.php (accessed 10 October 2010). , , and .
- 1995. Breadfruit meal: nutrient composition and feeding value for broilers. J. Food Sci. Agric. 78:379–383. , and .
- 1996. Physical and physiological changes in minimally processed fruits and vegetables. Pp. 205–220 in F. A. Tomas-Barberian, ed. Phytochemistry of fruits and vegetables. Oxford Univ. Press, London, U.K.
- 2002a. Microbiological evaluation of Ghanian maize dough co-fermented with cowpea. Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 53:367–373. , , , and .
- 2002b. Production of exopolysaccharides by lactic acid bacteria isolated from traditional fermented foods in Nigeria. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 214:405–407. , , , , and .
- 1995. Studies on the carbohydrate content of breadfruit (Artocarpus communis Forst) from Southwestern Nigeria. J. Starch 47:289–294. , , , and .
- 2002. Progress report on the implementation of the world food summit plan of action in Nigeria. FAO Reports on Nigeria, 1–2.
- 1974. Storage of fresh breadfruit. J. Trop. Agric. 51:407–515. , , and .
- 2006. Effects of some processing methods on the toxic components of African breadfruit (Treculia africana). Afr. J. Biotechnol. 5:2329–2333. , and .
- 1984. Composition of flours from Samoan breadfruit. J. Food Sci. 49:1396–1404. , and .
- 1997. Pp. 347–363 in Breadfruit in postharvest, physiological and storage of tropical and sub-tropical fruits. CAB International Wailing Ford, Hampshire, U.K. , and .