Comparative sensory and proximate evaluation of spontaneously fermenting kunu-zaki made from germinated and ungerminated composite cereal grains
Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 1, Issue 4, pages 336–349, July 2013
How to Cite
Oluwajoba, S. O., Akinyosoye, F. A. and Oyetayo, O. V. (2013), Comparative sensory and proximate evaluation of spontaneously fermenting kunu-zaki made from germinated and ungerminated composite cereal grains. Food Science & Nutrition, 1: 336–349. doi: 10.1002/fsn3.45
- Issue online: 14 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 8 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 10 JAN 2013
- Yaba College of Technology
- 1994. Effect of method of manufacture on quality characteristics of kunu zaki, a millet based beverage (NIFST). Nig. Food J. 12:36–38. , and .
- 2008. Protein fractions of legumes and cereals consumed in Nigeria. Int. J. Agric. Sci. Sci. Environ. Technol. 7:54–62. , , , and .
- 2012. Influence of malting on the nutritional characteristics of kunu-zaki. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 5:996–1000. , , , and .
- 2011. Millet-based traditional processed foods and beverages – a review. Cereal Foods World 56:115–121. , , and .
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, D. C.
- 2004. Effect of acha (Digitalis exilis) and millet (Pennisetum typhoideum) grains on kunun-zaki. Br. Food J. 106:512–519.
- 2008. Effect of dough improvers on the physical and sensory quality of acha (Digitaria exilis) flour bread. Nig. Food J. 26:102–110. , , , , and .
- 2007. Sensory and microbial evaluation of pearl millet kunu-zaki saccharified with malt from some pearl millet and sorghum cultivars. Agro Sci. 6:116–127.
- 2008. P191 glycemic index fonio (Digitaria exilis) interest in feeding in diabetic subjects in West Africa. Diabetes Metab. 34:H93. , , and
- 2008. Effects of Grain germination on some physical, chemical and sensory qualities of kunu prodced using maize and sorghum. Am.-Eurasian J. Agric. Environ. Sci. 3:221–226. , , and .
- 2001. Sensory evaluation of different levels of Cadaba farinosa (Dangarafa) in kunun zaki and determination of its position among other saccharifying agents. J. Food Sci. Technol. 38:405–406. , and .
- 2001. Nutritional composition of different types of kunu produced in Bauchi and Gombe States of Nigeria. Int. J. Food Prop. 5:351–357. , , and .
- 2002a. Traditional Production, Consumption and Storage of Kunu a non Alcoholic cereal beverage. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 57:73–81. , , and .
- 2002b. Nutrient and Sensory qualities of kunu-zaki from different saccharification agents. Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 53:109–115. , , and .
- 2004. Chemical and physical preservation of kunun zaki – a cereal based non-alcoholic beverage in Nigeria. J. Food Sci. Technol. 41:66–70. , , and .
- 2008. Effect of germination and fermentation of pearl millet on proximate, chemical and sensory properties of instant fura – a Nigerian cereal food. Pak. J. Nutr. 7:9–12. , and
- 1993. The characterization of the proteins of acha (Digitaria exilis). Ph.D. thesis, University of Leeds, England. .
- 1993. Some physiochemical properties of acha (Digitaria exilis Stapf) and Iburua (Digitaria iburua Stapf) grains. J. Sci. Food Agric. 63:369–371. , and .
- 1994a. Proteins of acha (Digitaria exilis Stapf): solubility fractionation, gel filtration and electrophoresis of protein fractions. Food Chem. 51:51–59. , , and .
- 1994b. The effect of cooking on proteins from acha (Digitaria exilis) and durum wheat. J. Sci. Food Agric. 65:465–476. , , and .
- 1999. Traditional and possible technological uses of Digitaria exilis (acha) and Digitaria iburua (iburu): a review. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 54:363–374.
- 2011. Developments on the cereal grains Digitaria exilis (acha) and Digitaria iburua (iburu). J. Food Sci. Technol. 48:251–259. , and .
- 2009. Evaluating healthful properties of cereals and cereal fractions by their bile-acid-binding potential. Cereal Foods World 54:118–121.
- 1979. Protease activity of water and acid, reconstituted grain sorghum. J. Agric. Food Chem. 27:352–362. , , and .
- 1977. Laboratory methods for sensory evaluation of food. Canada Department of Agriculture, Ottawa.
- 2002. Effect of traditional fermentation and malting on phytic acid and mineral availability from sorghum and millet grain varieties grown in Kenya. Food Nutr. Bull. 233 (Suppl.):241–245. , , , .
- 2000. Nutrient and anti-nutrient changes in finger millet during sprouting. LWT Food Sci. Technol. 33:9–14. , , , and .
- 2000. Malting characteristics of different varieties of fonio millet (Digitaria exilis). Eur. Food Res. Technol. 211:126–129. , , and .
- 2008. Effect of steeping time of milled grains on the quality of kunu-zaki (a Nigerian beverage). Afr. J. Food Sci. 2:033–036. , , and .
- 2010. Whole grains and digestive health. Cereal Chem. 87:292–296.
- 2006. Effect of variety and processing on antinutrients in finger millet. J. Food Sci. Technol. 43:370–373. , , , and .