Designer laying hen diets to improve egg fatty acid profile and maintain sensory quality
Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 1, Issue 4, pages 324–335, July 2013
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2013; 00(00):000–000
- Issue online: 14 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 18 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 MAR 2013
- Province of Manitoba
- Manitoba Egg Farmers
- AOAC International. 1990. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 15th ed. AOAC International, Washington.
- AOAC International. 1995. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 16th ed. AOAC International, Arlington.
- 1996. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol as a predictor of coronary heart disease risk. The PROCAM experience and pathophysiological implications for reverse cholesterol transport. Atherosclerosis 124:S11–S20. , , , and .
- 1982. Enhanced thermogenesis and diminished deposition of fat in response to overfeeding with diet containing medium chain triglyceride. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 35:678–682. , , and .
- 2009. α-Linolenic acid supplementation and conversion to n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in humans. Prostaglandins Leukot. Essent. Fatty Acids 80:85–91. , , , and .
- 2004. α-Linolenic acid metabolism in men and women: nutritional and biological implications. Curr. Opin. Clin. Nutr. Metab. Care 7:137–144.
- Canadian Council on Animal Care. 1993. Guide to the care and use of experimental animals. CCAC, Ottawa.
- 2003. Coconut oil: atherogenic or not? (What therefore causes atherosclerosis?). Philipp. J. Cardiol. 31:97–104.
- 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipid from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497–509. , , and .
- 2002. Oxidative stability and sensory and functional properties of eggs from laying hens fed supranutritional doses of vitamins E and C. Poult. Sci. 81:1744–1750. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Docosahexaenoic acid concentrations are higher in women than in men because of estrogenic effects. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 80:1167–1174. , , , , and .
- 2012. Fatty acid profile and sensory characteristics of table eggs from laying hens fed hempseed and hempseed oil. J. Food Sci. 77:153–160. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Alternatives for enrichment of eggs and chicken meat with omega-3 fatty acids. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 81:295–305. , and .
- 2006. Conversion of α-linolenic acid in humans is influenced by the absolute amounts of α-linolenic acid and linoleic acid in the diet and not by their ratio. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 84:44–53. , , , , and .
- Health Canada. 2012a. Mercury and human health. Available at http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/environ/merc-eng.php#mi (accessed 29 July 2012).
- Health Canada. 2012b. Nutrient content claims and what they mean. Available at http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/label-etiquet/nutrition/cons/claims-reclam/table1-eng.php (accessed 21 August 2012).
- Health Canada. 2012c. Reference values for macronutrients: dietary reference intakes tables. Available at http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/reference/table/ref_macronutr_tbl-eng.php (accessed 21 August 2012).
- 1997. Lipoprotein metabolism and fattening in poultry. J. Nutr. 127:805S–808S.
- 1989. Thermogenesis in humans during overfeeding with medium-chain triglycerides. Metab. Clin. Exp. 38:641–648. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Long chain omega-3 fatty acids: micronutrients in disguise. Prostaglandins Leukot. Essent. Fatty Acids. 88:91–95. , , and .
- 2002. Comparison of diet-induced thermogenesis of foods containing medium-versus long-chain triacylglycerols. J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol. 48:536–540. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Cholesterol and coronary heart disease: predicting risks in men by changes in levels and ratios. J. Invest. Med. 43:443–450. , , , and .
- 1998. Organoleptic evaluation of eggs produced by laying hens fed diets containing graded levels of flaxseed and vitamin E. Poult. Sci. 77:1436–1440. , , and .
- 2012. New insights into the health effects of dietary saturated and omega-6 and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. BMC Med. 10:50–55. , and .
- 1988. The panelist effect—fixed or random? J. Sens. Stud. 3:113–121. , and .
- 2009. Virgin coconut oil: emerging functional food oil. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 20:481–487. , , and .
- 2006. Medium-chain triglyerides. Int. Dairy J. 16:1374–1382. , , and .
- 2003. Effects of dietary fatty acids and carbohydrates on the ratio of serum total to HDL cholesterol and on serum lipids and apolipoproteins: a meta-analysis of 60 controlled trials. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 77:1146–1155. , , , and .
- 2012. Nutrition and inflammation: insights on dietary pattern, obesity, and asthma. Am. J. Lifestyle Med. 6:14–17. , and .
- 2003. Effects of highly purified structured lipids containing medium-chain fatty acids and linoleic acid on lipid profiles in rats. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 67:1937–1943. , , , , and .
- National Research Council. 1994. Nutrient requirements of poultry. 9th revised ed. The National Academies Press, Washington.
- 2004. Beneficial effects of virgin coconut oil on lipid parameters and in vitro LDL oxidation. Clin. Biochem. 37:830–835. , and .
- 2002. Larger diet-induced thermogenesis and less body fat accumulation in rats fed medium-chain triacylglycerols than in those fed long-chain triacylglycerols. J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol. 48:524–529. , , , , and .
- 1986. Analysis of variance: three- and four-factor designs. Pp. 230–231 in M. Dekker, ed. Sensory evaluation of food: statistical methods and procedures. CRC Press, New York.
- 2007. Extremely limited synthesis of long chain polyunsaturates in adults: implications for their dietary essentiality and use as supplements. Appl. Physiol. Nutr. Metab. 32:619–634. , and .
- 2003. Plasma fatty acids and [C-13] linoleic acid metabolism in preterm infants fed a formula with medium-chain triglycerides. J. Lipid Res. 44:41–48. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids. Biomed. Pharmacother. 56:365–379.
- 2008. The importance of the omega-6/omega-3 fatty acid ratio in cardiovascular disease and other chronic diseases. Exp. Biol. Med. 233:674–688.
- 2010. Genetic variants in the metabolism of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids: their role in the determination of nutritional requirements and chronic disease risk. Exp. Biol. Med. 235:785–795.
- 1991. A prospective study of cholesterol, apolipoproteins, and the risk of myocardial infarction. N. Engl. J. Med. 325:373–381. , , , , and .
- 2004. Descriptive analysis. Pp. 201–245 in Sensory evaluation practices. 3rd ed. Elsevier Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , and .
- 2012. Pp. 263–268 in Sensory evaluation practices. 4th ed. Elsevier Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , , and .
- 1972. The effect of coconut meal and coconut oil in poultry rations on the performance of laying hens. Poult. Sci. 51:1126–1132. , , and .
- 2009. Omega-3 fatty acids: a comprehensive review of their role in health and disease. Postgrad. Med. J. 85:84–90. , , , , , and .