Formulation and nutritional evaluation of weaning food processed from cooking banana, supplemented with cowpea and peanut
Article first published online: 16 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 1, Issue 5, pages 384–391, September 2013
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2013; 1(5): 384–391
- Issue published online: 13 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 16 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 9 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 FEB 2013
- Peanut and Cowpea Collaborative Research Support Programs
- United States Agency for International Development
- 2004. Comparative evaluation of weaning foods from Glyricidia and Leucaena leaf protein concentrates and some commercial brands in Nigeria. J. Sci. Food Agric. 84:21–30. , and .
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 16th edn. Association of Analytical Chemists, Gaithersburg, MD.
- AOAC. 2001. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 17th edn. Association of Analytical Chemists, Gaithersburg, MD.
- 1994. Mothers, babies and disease in later life. BMJ Publishing Group, London.
- 1972. Manufacture of ogi (a Nigerian fermented porridge): comparative evaluation of corn, sorghum and millet. Can. Inst. Food Sci. Technol. J. 5:217–221. , and .
- 2009. Evaluation of the nutritional quality of a novel weaning food processed from cooking banana and supplemented with legumes: invitro protein digestibility and amino acid profile. Int. J. Nat. Appl. Sci. 4:51–57. , , , and .
- 1988. Evaluation of a malted weaning food based on low cost locally available foods. Indian J. Nutr. Diet. 25:37–43. , , and .
- 2002. Food: the chemistry of its components. 4th ed. Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, U.K.
- 1993. Nutritional evaluation of home-processed weaning foods based on low cost locally available foods. Food Chem. 48:179–182. , and .
- 1974. Nutritional evaluation of a maize-based indigenous infant food, “Kuzhandai Amudhu.” Indian J. Nutr. Diet. 11:257–263. , , , and .
- 2003. A comparative study of the starch pasting properties of unprocessed and processed cassava (Manihot esculenta), plantain (Musa paradisiaca) and banana (Musa sapientum) flours. Global J. Pure Appl. Sci. 9:517–522. , and .
- FAO. 1964. Protein: at the heart of the world food problem. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome.
- FAO. 1973. Energy and protein requirements. Report of a Joint FAO/WHO ad hoc Expert Committee. FAO Nutrition Meeting Report Series, No. 52, WHO Technical Report Series, No. 522, Rome.
- FAO/WHO. 1989. FAO/WHO expert consultation on protein quality evaluation by amino acid scoring procedure. Joint Expert on Consultation of Protein Quality Evaluation, Bethesda, MD.
- 1993. The influence of roasting and malting on the total and extractible mineral contents of human weaning mixtures prepared from Indian raw materials. Food Chem. 46:253–256. , and .
- 1995. The nutritional value of bananas. Pp. 314–325 in , ed. Bananas and plantains. Chapman and Hall, London.
- Institute of Medicine. 2001. Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary reference intakes for vitamin A, vitamin K, arsenic, boron, chromium, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, silicon, vanadium, and zinc. National Academy Press. Washington, DC.
- Institute of Medicine. 2005. Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary reference intakes for energy, carbohydrate, fibre, fat, fatty acids, cholesterol, protein and amino acids. National Academy Press. Washington, DC.
- 1993. Effects of preparatory procedures on selected nutrient contents of some tropical maize products. J. Cereal Sci. 18:287–294. , , , and .
- 1999. P. 162 in Nutritional, physicochemical, and sensory evaluation of extrusion-cooked cereal/legume weaning formulations. Ph.D. diss., University of Georgia, Athens.
- 2000. Stability of retinyl palmitate during cooking and storage in rice fortified with ultra rice fortification technology. J. Food Sci. 65:915–919. , , and .
- 1995. Analytical techniques for foods and agricultural products. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, NY.
- 2004. Improving the nutritive value of homogenized infant foods using response surface methodology. J. Food Sci. 69:38–43. , , , and .
- 1995. Use of peanut and cowpea in wheat-based products containing composite flours. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 47:71–87. , , , and .
- 1992. Physicochemical and sensory characteristics of peanut paste stored at different temperatures. J. Food Sci. 57:1385–1389. , and .
- 2000. Multivariate analysis of fatty acid cis and trans isomers in margarines determined by HRGC/FID/capillary column. J. Chemom. 15:71–84. , , and .
- 1994. Physical properties of cowpea paste and akara as affected by supplementation with peanut flour. J. Agric. Food Chem. 42:1750–1756. , , , and .
- SAS. 1990. SAS/START user's guide, version 6. 4th ed. Vol. 2. Statistical Analysis Systems Institute, Inc., Cary, NC.
- 1986. Preparation and nutritional evaluation of weaning food based on wheat, rice and soybean (Soylac). Pak. J. Sci. Ind. Res. 29:151–154. , , , , and .
- WHO. 1985. Energy and protein requirements. Report of a Joint FAO/WHO/UNU Expert Consultation. Technical Report Series No. 724. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- 2002. Physicochemical and sensory characteristic changes in fortified peanut spreads after 3 months of storage at different temperatures. J. Agric. Food Chem. 50:2377–2384. , , , and .