New composite nitrite-free and low-nitrite meat-curing systems using natural colorants
Article first published online: 22 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 1, Issue 5, pages 392–401, September 2013
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2013; 1(5): 392–401
- Issue published online: 13 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 22 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 6 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAR 2013
- Shiraz University
- 2004. Effects of gamma irradiation on residual nitrite, residual ascorbate color, and N-nitrosamines of cooked sausages during storage. Food Control 15:197–203. , , , , , and .
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists, (AOAC). 2000a. Fat (crude) or ether extract in meat. Official method 960.39, 17th ed. AOAC Intl, Gaithersburg, MD.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists, (AOAC). 2000b. Moisture in meat. Official method 950.46, 17th ed. AOAC Intl, Gaithersburg, MD.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists, (AOAC). 2000c. Ash of meat. Official method 920.153, 17th ed. AOAC Intl, Gaithersburg, MD.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists, (AOAC). 2000d. Nitrogen in meat. Official method 928.08, 17th ed. AOAC Intl, Gaithersburg, MD.
- 1999. Effect of natural colorants and nitrites on color attributes of frankfurters. Meat Sci. 52:257–265. , , and .
- 1994. Rapid, sensitive, and specific thiobarbituric acid method for measuring lipid peroxidation in animal tissue, food, and feedstuff samples. J. Agric. Food Chem. 42:1931–1937. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Storage stability of Low-fat beef frankfurters formulated with carrageenan or carrageenan with pectin. Meat Sci. 64:207–214. , and .
- 1979. Reaction of nitrite in meat. Food Technol. 33:46–57. , , , and .
- 2011. Red meat and colon cancer: should we become vegetarians, or can we make meat safer? Meat Sci. 89:310–316.
- 2007. Effect of tomato paste and nitrite level on processing and quality characteristics of frankfurters. Meat Sci. 76:501–508. , , and .
- 2011. Low-fat frankfurters formulated with a healthier lipid combination as functional ingredient: microstructure, lipid oxidation, nitrite content, microbiological changes and biogenic amine formation. Meat Sci. 89:65–71. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Natural colorants for food and nutraceutical uses. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. , and .
- DIN 10102. 1988. Microbiological analysis of meat and meat products; detection of Clostridium botulinum and botulinum toxin. Beuth, Berlin.
- 1975. Principle of meat science. Freeman, San Francisco. , , , , and .
- 1982. Inhibition of N-nitrosamines in bacon. Food Technol. 36:39–44. , , , , and .
- 2008. The use and control of nitrite and nitrite for the processing of meat products. Meat Sci. 78:68–76.
- 1996. A study on carcinogenesis of endogenous nitrite and nitrosamine, and prevention of cancer. Mutat. Res. 358:7–14. , , and .
- 2009. Low-fat frankfurters enriched with n-3 PUFA and edible seaweed: effects of olive oil and chilled storage on physicochemical, sensory and microbial characteristics. Meat Sci. 83:148–154. , , and .
- 1985. The antioxidation activities of nitrite and nitrosylmyoglobin in cooked meats. Meat Sci. 14:175–190. , and .
- 1993. Development of nitrite-free meat curing systems. Ph.D. thesis, Memorial University, St. John's, Canada. .
- 2000. Nitrite curing of meat: the N-nitrosamine problem and nitrite alternatives. Food and Nutrition Press. Inc., Trumbull, CT. , and .
- 2006. Processing of nitrite-free cured meats. Pp. 309–328 in L. M. L. Nollet and F. Todra, eds. Advanced technologies for meat processing. Taylor and Francis Group, CRC Press, LLC, Boca Raton, FL. , and .
- 1990. Sodium hypophosphite inhibition of the growth of selected gram-positive foodborne pathogenic bacteria. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 11:167–178. , and .
- 2003. Physical and sensory properties of low-salt phosphate-free frankfurters composed with various ingredients. Meat Sci. 63:9–16. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Natural and organic cured meat products: regulatory, manufacturing, marketing, quality and safety issues. Am. Meat. Sci. Assoc. White Pap. Ser. No. 1:1–15. , and .
- 1991. Developing alternative meat-curing systems. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 2:219–222.
- 1992. Nitrite-free meat curing systems: update and review. Food Chem. 43:185–191. , and .
- 1985. Preparation of the cooked cured-meat pigment, dinistrosyl ferrohemochrome, from hemin and nitric oxide. J. Food Sci. 50:272–273. , , , and .
- 1987. Control of lipid oxidation in cooked ground pook with antioxidants and dinistrosyl ferrohemochrome. J. Food Sci. 52:564–567. , , and .
- 1979. Use of potassium sorbate in bacon. Pp. 85–86 in Proceeding of the meat industry research conference, Chicago, IL, 29–30 March. American Meat Institute Foundation, Arlington, VA.
- 2009. Alternative curing systems. Pp. 379–405 in R. Tarté, eds. Ingredients in meat products, properties, functionality and applications. Springer, Madison, WI. , and .
- 1975. Inhibition of Clostridium botulinum by strains of Clostridium perfiringens isolated from soil. Appl. Microbiol. 30:319–323.
- 1997. Eigenschaften von mit karmin, Betain und beta-corotin gefaerbter Bruehwurst. Fleishwirstschaft 77:435–439.
- 2004. Evaluation of three 2-thiobarbituric acid methods for the measurement of lipid oxidation in various meats and meat products. Meat Sci. 67:683–687.
- 1986. An evaluation of antibotulinal activity in nitrite-free curing systems containing dinistrosyl ferrohemochrome. J. Food Prot. 49:691–695. , , , and .
- 2004. A simple digital imaging method for measuring and analyzing color of food surfaces. J. Food Eng. 61:137–142. , and .