Effect of fat volume fraction, sodium caseinate, and starch on the optimization of the sensory properties of frankfurter sausages
Article first published online: 4 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 32–44, January 2013
How to Cite
Petridis, D., Ritzoulis, C., Tzivanos, I., Vlazakis, E., Derlikis, E. and Vareltzis, P. (2013), Effect of fat volume fraction, sodium caseinate, and starch on the optimization of the sensory properties of frankfurter sausages. Food Science & Nutrition, 1: 32–44. doi: 10.1002/fsn3.6
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 4 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 12 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 AUG 2012
- 1996. Rheological, thermal and microstructural properties of heat-induced whey protein/starch gels. J. Food Sci. 62:1048–1053, 1066. , and .
- 1998. Thermo-rheology, quality characteristics, and microstructure of frankfurters prepared with selected plant and milk additives. J. Food Qual. 21:223–238. , , , and .
- 2007. Effect of hydrolysed and regular dairy proteins on the texture, colour and microstructure of poultry meat emulsions. Br. Poult. Sci. 48:655–660.
- 1997. Sensory and physical characteristics of reduced-fat turkey frankfurters with modified corn starch and water. J. Food Sci. 62:1240–1244. , , and .
- 1991. Objective and hedonic assessment of Australian sausages. J. Food Sci. 56:636–642. , , , and .
- 1994. Properties of low-fat, nonbreaded pork nuggets with added gums and modified starches. J. Food Sci. 59:742–746.
- 1997. Effect of carrageenan on processing and quality characteristics of low-fat frankfurters. J. Muscle Foods 8:63–83. , , and .
- 1978. Texture profile analysis. Food Technol. 32:62–66.
- 2000. Combined use of pronase E and a fungal extract (Penicillium aurantiogriseum) to potentiate the sensory characteristics of dry fermented sausages. Meat Sci. 54:135–145. , , , , and .
- 2004. The effect of fructooligosaccharides on the sensory characteristics of cooked sausages. Meat Sci. 68:87–96. , , , and .
- 2003. Relationship of texture profile analysis and Warner Bratzler shear force with sensory characteristics of beef rib steaks. Meat Sci. 64:333–339. , , , , and .
- 1994. Meat preservation: preventing losses and assuring safety. Food & Nutrition Press, Turnbull, CT.
- 2009. Food oral processing – a review. Food Hydrocolloids 23:1–25.
- 1957. Experimental designs., 2nd ed. Wiley, New York. , and .
- 2000. Effects of fat level and maltodextrin on the functional properties of frankfurters formulated with 5, 12 and 30% fat. Meat Sci. 55:463–469. , , , and .
- 2010. Healthier lipid combination as functional ingredient influencing sensory and technological properties of low-fat frankfurters. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 112:859–870. , , , and .
- 2007. The effect of sodium nitrite on the textural properties of cooked sausage during cold storage. J. Texture Stud. 38:537–554. , , , , , and .
- 1963. The texturometer – a new instrument for objective texture measurement. J. Food Sci. 28:390–396. , , and .
- 2002. Utilization of cereal and fruit fibres in low fat dry fermented sausages. Meat Sci. 60:227–236. , , , , and .
- 2005. The effect of whey protein-enriched fractions on the physical and sensory properties of frankfurters. Meat Sci. 71:238–243. , , , , and .
- 1988. The perception of food texture – the philosophy of the breakdown path. J. Texture Stud. 19:103–115. , and .
- 1995. Storage stability of vacuum packaged frozen pork sausage containing soy protein concentrate, carrageenan or antioxidants. J. Food Sci. 60:257–261. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Effects of fat level, oat fibre and carrageenan on frankfurters formulated with 5, 12 and 30% fat. Meat Sci. 45:273–281. , , and .
- 2009. Starches in dairy proteins in ingredients in meat products. Pp. 25–55 in R. Tarté, ed. Properties, functionality and applications. Springer Science Business Media, New York, NY. , and .
- 2006. Quality of reduced-fat frankfurter modified by konjac–starch mixed gels. J. Food Sci. 71:S326–S332. , and .
- 2002. Functions of starch in formation of starch/meat composite during heating. J. Texture Stud. 33:341–366. , and .
- 2007. Application and assessment of extruded edible casings manufactured from pectin and gelatin/sodium alginate blends for use with breakfast pork sausage. Meat Sci. 75:196–202. , , and .
- 1999. The influence of added whey protein/carrageenan gels and tapioca starch on the textural properties of low fat pork sausages. Meat Sci. 51:43–52. , , , and .
- 1995. Sensory characteristics of frankfurters as affected by fat, salt, and pH. J. Food Sci. 60:42–47. , , , and .
- 1998. Universal, product and attribute specific scaling and development of specific lexicons in descriptive analysis. J. Sensory Stud. 13:57–75. , and .
- 2001. The relationship between the composition and texture of conventional and low-fat frankfurters. Int. J. Food Technol. 36:749–758. , , and .
- 2010. Effects of selected ingredients and fat content on the sensory and mechanical properties of frankfurter-type sausages. J. Texture Stud. 41:880–898. , , , , and .
- 1994. Mixture experiment approaches: examples, discussion and recommendations. J. Qual. Technol. 26:177–196. , and .
- 1999. Effect of content of protein, fat and modified starch on binding textural characteristics, and colour of comminuted scalded sausages. Meat Sci. 51:17–25.
- 2000. Effect of fat content and soy protein/carrageenan mix on the quality characteristics of comminuted, scalded sausages. Meat Sci. 56:181–188. , and .
- 2003. Effect of sodium caseinate and κ-carrageenan on binding and textural properties of pork muscle gels enhanced by microbial transglutaminase addition. Food Res. Int. 36:285–294. , and .
- 2007. Application of PCA method for characterisation of textural properties of selected ready-to-eat meat products. J. Food Eng. 83:93–98. Available at http://doi:10.1016/J.Jfoodeng.2007.02.052. , and .
- 2005. Instrumental texture profile analysis (TPA) of date flesh as a function of moisture content. J. Food Eng. 66:505–511. , and .
- 1995. Texture profiling of traditional and ultrafiltered teleme cheeses. J. Food Sci. 60:1211–1215. , , and .
- 1998. Quality attributes of pariza salami as influenced by the addition of mechanically deboned chicken meat. Food Qual. Prefer. 9:237–242. , , and .
- 2010. Utilization of inverse water-in-oil emulsions as fat replacers in frankfurter model sausages: influence of fat–emulsion content on the organoleptic and mechanical properties. J. Texture Stud. 41:62–74. , , , , and .
- 1999. Relation between instrumental and sensory measurements of food texture. Pp. 1–17 in A. J. Rosenthal, ed. Food texture measurement and perception. Aspen Publishers, Gaithesburg, MD.
- 2003. Physical and sensory properties of low-salt phosphate-free frankfurters composed with various ingredients. Meat Sci. 63:9–16. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Basic curing ingredients. Pp. 1–24 in R. Tarté, ed. Ingredients in meat products: properties, functionality and applications. Springer Science+Business Media, New York, NY.
- 1996. P. 493 in Applied multivariate techniques. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- 2005. Application of sensory science to surimi seafood. Pp. 803–845 J. W. Park, ed. Surimi and surimi seafood. Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton, FL.
- 2000. Physical characteristics and microstructure of reduced-fat frankfurters as affected by salt and emulsified fats stabilized with nonmeat proteins. J. Food Sci. 65:123–128. , , and .
- 1975. Application of the general foods texturometer to specific food products. J. Texture Stud. 6:117–138. , and .
- 2002. P. 500 in CANOCO reference manual and CanoDraw for Windows user's guide: software for canonical community ordination (Version 4.5). Microcomputer Power, Ithaca, NY. , and .
- 1994. On the statistical analysis of vegetation change: a wetland affected by water extraction and soil acidification. J. Veg. Sci. 5:361–372. , and .
- 1971. Application of principal component analysis to food texture measurements. J. Texture Studies 2:207–219. , , , and .
- 1998. Water and absorptive properties of restructured beef products with five binders at four isothermal temperatures. LWT – Food Sci. Technol. 31:78–83. , , , and .
- 2009. Rheology and microstructure of cross-linked waxy maize starch/whey protein suspensions. Food Hydrocolloids 23:1678–1686. , , , and .
- 1986. Salt-induced swelling of meat: the effect of storage time, pH, ion-type and concentration. Meat Sci. 18:55–75. , , and .
- 2009. Dairy proteins. Pp. 131–144 in R. Tarté, ed. Ingredients in meat products: properties, functionality and applications. Springer Science+Business Media, New York, NY.
- 2001. Evaluation of some binders and fat substitutes in low-fat frankfurters. J. Food Sci. 66:1039–1046. , , , and .