Relating genes in the biosynthesis of the polyphenol composition of Andean colored potato collection
Article first published online: 18 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 46–57, January 2014
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2014; 2(1): 46–57
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 18 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 15 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 10 MAY 2013
- Swedish International Development Agency
- 2004. Identification of anthocyanins of pinta boca (Solanum stenotomum) tubers. Food Chem. 86:441–448. , , , and .
- 2011. Anthocyanin tomato mutants: overview and characterization of an anthocyanin-less somaclonal mutant. Plant Biosyst. 145:436–444. , , and .
- 2007. Andean potato cultivars (Solanum tuberosum L.) as a source of antioxidant and mineral micronutrients. J. Agric. Food Chem. 55:366–378. , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Flavonoid-related basic helix-loop-helix regulators, NtAn1a and NtAn1b, of tobacco have originated from two ancestors and are functionally active. Planta 234:363–375. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Antioxidant in potato. Am. J. Potato Res. 82:163–172.
- 2011. Steam pretreatment and fermentation of the straw material “Paja Brava” using simultaneous saccharification and co-fermentation. J. Biosci. Bioeng. 111:167–174. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Recent advances in polyphenol research. Pp. 139–166 in F. Daayf and V. Lattanzio, eds. Recent advances in the molecular biology and metabolic engineering of flavonoid biosynthesis in ornamental plants [online]. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, U.K. , , and .
- 2004. Content of free phenolic compounds in cultivars of potatoes harvested in Tenerife (Canary Islands). J. Agric. Food Chem. 52:1323–1327. , , , .
- 2009. Anthocyanin biosynthesis in plant cell cultures: a potential source of natural colorants. Pp. 108–167 in C. Winefield, K. Davies, and K. Gould, eds. Anthocyanins: biosynthesis, functions, and applications. Springer, Palmerston North, New Zealand.
- 1997. Chemistry, biochemistry, and dietary role of potato polyphenols. Agric. Food Chem. 45:1523–1540.
- 2001. Polyphenols and flavonoids protect LDL against atherogenic modifications.. Pp. 303–336 in E. Cadenas and L. Packer, eds. Handbook of antioxidants. Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel. , and .
- 2010. Effect of natural and growing conditions on the content of phenolics in potatoes with different flesh colour. Plant Soil Environ. 56:368–374. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Differences in anthocyanin content and antioxidant activity of potato tubers with different flesh colour. Plant Soil Environ. 57:478–485. , , , , , and .
- 2008a. Differences in phenolic content and antioxidant activity in yellow and purple-fleshed potatoes grown in the Czech Republic. Plant Soil Environ. 54:1–6. , , , , and .
- 2008b. The influence of flesh colour and growing locality on polyphenolic content and antioxidant activity in potatoes. Sci. Hort. Amsterdam 117:109–114. , , , , and .
- 2012. Impact of selected factors – cultivar, storage, cooking and baking on the content of anthocyanins in coloured-flesh potatoes. Food Chem. 133:1107–1116. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Determination of anthocyanins, flavonoids and phenolic acids in potatoes. I: Colored cultivars of Solanum tuberosum L. Sci. Food Agric. 77:45–57. , , , and .
- 2007. Isolation of regulatory gene of anthocyanin biosynthesis in tuberous roots of purple-fleshed sweet potato. Plant Physiol. 143:1252–1268. , , , , and .
- 2005. Comparison of the 2,2′-azinobis-3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulfonic acid (ABTS) and ferric reducing anti-oxidant power (FRAP) methods to assess the total antioxidant capacity in extracts of fruit and vegetables. Mol. Nutr. Food Res. 49:239–246. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Total antioxidant capacity and content of flavonoids and other phenolic compounds in canihua (Chenopodium pallidicaule): an Andean pseudocereal. Mol. Nutr. Food Res. 52:708–717. , , , and .
- 2009. Total antioxidant capacity and content of phenolic compounds in wild strawberries (Fragaria vesca) collected in Bolivia. Int. J. Fruit Sci. 9:344–359. , , , and .
- 2011. Changes in phenolic antioxidants during chuño production (traditional Andean freeze and sun-dried potato). J. Food Compos. Anal. 24:580–587. , , , , and .
- 2011. Nuts and seeds in health and disease prevention. Elsevier Academic Press Inc., San Diego, CA. , , and .
- 2005. Standardized methods for the determination of antioxidant capacity and phenolics in foods and dietary supplements. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:4290–4302. , , and .
- 2004. Environmental conditions influence the content and yield of anthocyanins and total phenolics in purple- and red-flesh potatoes during tuber development. Am. J. Potato Res. 81:187–193. , , and .
- 1965. Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagent. Am. J. Enol. Vitic. 16:144–158. , and .
- 2010. Flavonoid profiling and transcriptome analysis reveals new gene–metabolite correlations in tubers of Solanum tuberosum L. J. Exp. Bot. 61:1225–1238. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2731–2739. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Genetic analysis of pigmented tuber flesh in potato. Theor. Appl. Genet. 119:143–150. , , and .