Applicability of near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) for determination of crude protein content in cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) leaves
Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 45–53, January 2013
How to Cite
Towett, E. K., Alex, M., Shepherd, K. D., Polreich, S., Aynekulu, E. and Maass, B. L. (2013), Applicability of near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) for determination of crude protein content in cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) leaves. Food Science & Nutrition, 1: 45–53. doi: 10.1002/fsn3.7
- Issue online: 8 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 14 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUL 2012
- German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development. Grant Number: 2002.7860.6001.00
- AACC International. 1999. Approved methods of analysis, 11th Ed. Method 46-18.01. Crude Protein, Calculated from Percentage of Total Nitrogen, in Feeds and Feedstuffs. AACC International, St. Paul, MN. doi: 10.1094/AACCIntMethod-46-18.01.
- 1998. Selected nutritional components and sensory attributes of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata [L.] Walp) leaves. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 52:221–229. doi:10.1023/A:1008019113245. , , and .
- 1992. Two-dimensional vibration spectroscopy: correlation of mid- and near-infrared regions. Appl. Spectrosc. 46:420–429. , , , and .
- 1988. Cool- and warm-season forage legume potential for the southeastern USA. Trop. Grassl. 22:116–125. , and .
- 1998. Use of near infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) for the prediction of the chemical composition and nutritional attributes of green crop cereals. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 75:15–25. , , , and .
- 1991. Protein quality and antinutrional factors in wild and cultivated Vigna spp. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 41:11–20. doi:10.1007/BF02196377. , , and .
- 2003. Near infrared reflectance spectroscopy for determination of organic matter fractions including microbial biomass in coniferous forest soils. Soil Biol. Biochem. 35:1587–1600. , , and .
- 2004. Exploring the use of near infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) to predict trace minerals in legumes. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 111:161–173. doi:10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2003.08.001. , and .
- 2009. Evaluation of green forage intake and digestibility in ruminants using near infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS): developing a global calibration. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 148:138–156. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Faecal near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) compared with other techniques for estimating the in vivo digestibility and dry matter intake of lactating grazing dairy cows. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 173:220–234. , , , , and .
- 1998. Ecological applications of near infrared reflectance spectroscopy – a tool for rapid, cost-effective prediction of the composition of plant and animal tissues and aspects of animal performance. Oecologia 116:293–305. doi:10.1007/s004420050591. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Use of near infrared reflectance (NIR) spectroscopy to predict chemical composition of forages in broad-based calibration models. Agricultura Técnica (Chile) 66:41–47. doi:10.4067/S0365-28072006000100005. , and .
- 2006. Instantaneous determination of crude proteins, fat and fibre in animal feeds using near infrared reflectance spectroscopy technology and a remote reflectance fibre-optic probe. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 128:165–171. doi:10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2005.11.007. , , and .
- 2008. Cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) variety mixtures to optimize vegetable leaf and seed yields and their stability in central Tanzania. M.Sc. thesis, University of Göttingen, Goettingen, Germany, 75 pp. Available at http://www.uni-goettingen.de/de/108920.html. Accessed 13 November 2011.
- 2002. Application to agricultural procucts and foodstuffs. Pp. 348 in H. W. Siesler, Y. Ozaki, S. Kawata and H. M. Heise, eds. Near-infrared spectroscopy. Principles, instruments, applications. Wiley-VCH Verlag, Weinheim, Germany.
- 2006. Diversity and genetic erosion of traditional vegetables in Tanzania from the farmer's point of view. Plant Genet. Resour. 3:400–413. doi:10.1079/PGR200594. , , and .
- 1988. Effect of variety on protein content, amino acid composition and trypsin inhibitor activity of cowpeas. Food Chem. 29:65–78. , , and .
- 2003. Approaches to improve the utilization of food-feed crops – synthesis. Field Crops Res. 84:213–222. doi:10.1016/S0378-4290(03)00152-7. , , and .
- 2005. The legume content in multispecies mixtures as estimated with near infrared reflectance spectroscopy: method validation. Agron. J. 97:18–25. , , , and .
- 2008. Use of mid-infrared spectroscopy in the diffuse-reflectance mode for the prediction of the composition of organic matter in soil and litter. J. Plant Nutr. Soil Sci. 171:384–391. , , , , and .
- 2006. Diversity in nutritional quality of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) and lablab bean (Lablab purpureus) as leafy vegetables. M.Sc. thesis, University of Göttingen, Goettingen, Germany, 106 pp.
- 2006. Cowpea (Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp.) for leafy vegetable use in Malawi: Agronomic evaluation on station and on farm. M.Sc. thesis, University of Göttingen, Goettingen, Germany, 69 pp.
- 2003. Development of NIR calibration valid for two different grass sample collections. Czech J. Anim. Sci. 48:419–424. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Determination of potentially mineralizable nitrogen and nitrogen in particulate organic matter fractions in soil by visible and near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy. J. Agric. Sci. 142:335–343. , and .
- 1997. Cowpea leaves for human consumption: production, utilization, and nutrient composition. Pp. 326–332 in B. B. Singh, D. R. R. Mohan Raj, K. E. Dashiell and L. E. N. Jackai, eds. Advances in cowpea research. Co-publication of International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) and Japan International Centre for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS), IITA, Ibadan, Nigeria. , , and .
- 2009. Effect of variety mixtures on cowpea vegetable leaf and seed yields in a traditional cowpea/maize intercropping system in the semi-arid tropics of Uganda. M.Sc. thesis, University of Göttingen, Goettingen, Germany, 106 pp.
- 2010. The development of near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) calibration for prediction of ash content in legumes on the basis of two different reference methods. Food Chem. 123:800–805. , , , and .
- 2010. Assessing successive leaf yield performance of dual-purpose cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) to decrease seasonal shortage of nutrients in resource-poor small-scale households of Tanzania and Uganda. Ph.D. thesis, Cuvillier Verlag, Göttingen, Germany, 170 pp.
- 1993a. Near infrared reflectance analysis with single and multiproduct calibrations. Crop Sci. 33:582–584. , and .
- 1993b. Analysis of agriculture and food products by near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy. Infrasoft, Port Matilda, PA. , and .
- 2007. Infrared spectroscopy – enabling an evidence-based diagnostic surveillance approach to agricultural and environmental management in developing countries. J. Near Infrared Spectrosc. 15:1–19. , and .
- 2003. Direct and indirect means of predicting forage quality through near infrared reflectance spectroscopy. Field Crops Res. 84:45–56. doi:10.1016/S0378-4290(03)00140-0. , , and .
- 2006. Towards improved vegetable use and conservation of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) and lablab (Lablab purpureus): Agronomic and participatory evaluation in northeastern Tanzania and genetic diversity study. Ph.D. thesis, Cuvillier Verlag, Göttingen, Germany, 214 pp.
- 2008. Optimizing the use of near infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) to predict the nutritional quality in cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) leaves for human consumption. M.Sc. thesis, Georg-August University, Goettingen, Germany, 109 pp. Available at http://www.uni-goettingen.de/de/108920.html. Accessed 13 November 2011.
- 2005. Towards truly global near infrared calibrations for protein and neutral detergent fiber in dried ground forages. Book of Abstracts. International Grassland Conference, Dublin, Ireland, 258 pp. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Near-infrared technology – getting the best out of light. Edition 5.0. A short course in the practical implementation of near-infrared spectroscopy for the user. PDK Projects, Inc., Nanaimo, Canada.