Comparative study on nutrient composition, phytochemical, and functional characteristics of raw, germinated, and fermented Moringa oleifera seed flour
Article first published online: 21 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 1, Issue 6, pages 452–463, November 2013
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2013; 1(6): 452–463
- Issue published online: 12 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 21 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 29 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUN 2013
- 2007. Antinutritional factor content and hydrochloric acid extractability of minerals in pearl millet cultivars as affected by germination. Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 58:6–17. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Functional and physico-chemical properties of flours of six mucuna species. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 4:1461–1468. , , and .
- 2001. Nutrient in seeds and sprouts of Alfalfa lenis, mung beans and soybeans. J. Food Sci. 40:1008–1013.
- 2004. Functional properties of protein products from Barinus nut. Am. J. Nutr. 54:223–228. , , , and .
- 1983. Plant fiber and blood pressure. Ann. Intern. Med. 98:843–846.
- 1990. Dietary fiber and human health. HortScience 25:1488–1495.
- 1986. Dietary fiber: diabetes and obesity. Am. J. Gastroenterol. 81:898–906. , and .
- 1988. Hypocholesterolemic effects of oat and bean products. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 48:749–753. , and .
- 2010. Mineral composition of Moringa oleifera leaves, pods and seeds from two regions in Abuja, Nigeria. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 12:431–434. , , and .
- 2007. Moringa oleifera: a food plant with multiple medicinal uses. Phytother. Res. 21:17–25. , , , and .
- AOAC (Association of Analytical Chemists). 2005. Official methods of analysis. In W. Horowitz, ed. Official methods of analysis, 18th ed. AOAC, Gaithersburg, MD.
- 2007. Isolation and characterization of two phenolic compounds from the stem bark of Musanga cecropioides R. Brown (Muraceae). Acta Pol. Pharm. 64:183–185. , , and .
- 2005. Some antinutritional factors in Cajanus cajan, Sterculia setigera and Vigna dekindtiana. Biol. Environ. Sci. J. Tropics 2:43–45. , and .
- 2011. Toxicity of aqueous extract of Moringa oleifera seed powder to Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) fingerlings. Int. Res. J. Agric. Sci. 1:142–150. , , and .
- 1992. Proximate composition of full fat fluted pumpkin (Telfairia occidentalis) seed flour. J. Sci. Food Agric. 59:321–325. , and .
- 1977. Functional and electrophoretic characteristics of succinylated peanut flour protein. J. Agric. Food Chem. 25:258–261.
- 1984. Direct spectrophotometric determination of saponins. Anal. Chem. 34:1314–1326.
- 1975. Refined carbohydrate foods and disease. Some implications of dietary fibre. Academic Press, London, U.K. , and .
- 2011. Nutritional characterization of Moringa (Moringa oleifera Lam.) leaves. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 10:12925–12933. , , , and .
- 1977. Functional properties and amino acid content of a protein isolate from mung-bean flour. J. Food Technol. 12:473–484. , and .
- 1977. Indonesian tape ketan fermentation. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 33:1067–1073. , , , and .
- 2003. Effectiveness of different processing methods in reducing hydrogen cyanide content of flaxseed. J. Sci. Food Agric. 8:836–841. , , and .
- 2008. Nutritional and antinutritional evaluation of forest and hybrid legumes seeds. Elect. J. Environ. Agric. Food Chem. 7:2900–2905. , , and .
- 2005. Evaluation of maize-soybean flour blends for sour maize bread production in Nigeria. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 4:911–918. , , and .
- 2001. Studies on some anti-nutritive factors and in-vitro protein digestibility of Thaumatococcus danielli (Benth) wastes. Niger. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 16:43–46. , , , and .
- 2005. Moringa oleifera: a review of the medical evidence for its nutritional, therapeutic and prophylactic properties. Part 1. Available at http://www.TFLjournal.org/article.php/20051201124931586 (accessed 15 March 2010). .
- FAO. 2001. FAO Agricultural information management series 1. FAO, Rome, Italy.
- FAO/WHO. 1990. FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Nutrition. P. 13 in Seventh Report, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 12–20 December, Rome, Italy.
- 2006. Proximate, minerals and antinutritional factors of some underutilized grain legumes in south-western Nigeria. Nutr. Food Sci. 36:18–23. , , , , and .
- 1995. Alpha-linolenic acid and docosahexaenoic acid-enriched eggs from hens fed flaxseed: influence on blood lipids and platelet phospholipid fatty acids in humans. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 62:81–86. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Combating malnutrition with Moringa. Pp. 117–136 in J. Lowell Fugile, ed. The miracle tree: the multiple attributes of Moringa. CTA Publication, Wageningen, the Netherlands.
- 1973. P. 278 in Phytochemical methods: a guide to modern techniques of plant analysis. Chapman and Hall Ltd, London, U.K.
- 2006. Moringa oleifera medicinal and economic uses. International course on economic botany. National Herbarium, Leiden, the Netherlands.
- 1992. Plasma and red blood cell fatty acid values as indexes of essential fatty acids in the developing organs of infants fed with milk or formulas. J. Pediatr. 120(4 pt 2):S78–S86.
- 1990. Lowering of serum cholesterol and triglycerides and modulation by dietary phytates. J. Appl. Nutr. 42:18–28. , , , and .
- 2010. Active principle from Moringa oleifera Lam leaves effective against two leukemias and a hepatocarcinoma. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 9:8467–8471. , , , , , , et al.
- 1982. Dietary fiber and 10-year mortality from coronary heart disease, cancer, and all causes: the Zutphen Study. Lancet 20:518–522. , , and .
- 1959. Structure of starch granules. Cereal Chem. 36:535–544. , , and .
- 2009. Therapeutic aspects of flavones: the anticancer properties of Scutellaria and its main active constituents Wogonin, Biacalum and Bacalin. Cancer Treat. Rev. 35:57–68.
- 1990. Dietary fiber research. Karger, Basel, Switzerland. , and .
- 2011. Nutritional quality and utilization of local and improved cowpea varieties in some regions in Tanzania. Afr. J. Food Agric. Nutr. Dev. 11:4490–4506. , , , , and .
- 1978. Nutrition in action. 4th ed. Holt, R and Wilson Co., New York, NY. , and .
- 1995. Animal nutrition. 5th ed. Longman Singapore Publishers (Pte) Ltd, Singapore. , , , and .
- 1992. Pp. 237–312 in Nutrition. WmC. Brown, Dubuque, IA. , , and .
- 1995. Evaluation of the nutritional quality of fermented cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) flours. Ecol. Food Nutr. 33:273–279.
- 1990. Could saponins be a useful treatment for hypercholesterolaemia? Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 44:79–88. , and .
- 2010. Effects of malting and fermentation treatments on group B-vitamins of red sorghum, white sorghum and pearl millets in Kenya. J. Appl. Biosci. 34:2128–2134. , , , , and .
- 2008. Effects of soaking and germination on some physicochemical properties of millet flour for porridge production. J. Food Technol. 6:185–188. , and .
- 2008. Nutritional potential of two leafy vegetables: Moringa oleifera and Ipomoea batatas leaves. Sci. Res. Essays 3:057–060. , , and .
- 1979. Physicochemical and functional properties of cowpea powders processed to reduce beany flavour. J. Food Sci. 44:1235–1240. , and .
- 2007. Effect of germination on chemical compositions, biochemical constituents and antinutritional factors of soybean (Glycine max) seeds. J. Sci. Food Agric. 73:1–9. , , and .
- 2006. The miracle tree: Moringa oleifera (drumstick). Pp. 120–136 in Archive Vibrant Health with Nature. Keep Hope Alive Series. Unijos Consultancy Limited Press, Jos, Nigeria.
- 1998. Pp. 103–208 in Comprehensive science and nutrition. Ambik Press Ltd., Benin City, Nigeria. , and .
- 1999. Chemical composition, nutritionally valuable minerals and functional properties of benniseed (Sesanum rediatum), pearl millet (Perntiisetim typhoides) and quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa) flours. Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 50:325–331. , , and .
- 1976. Pp. 6–25 in The chemical analysis foods. 7th ed. Churchill livingstone, Edinburgh, U.K.
- 1987. Physiologic effects and health consequences of dietary fiber (publication no. 36.). Life Sciences Research Office, Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, Bethesda, MD. .
- 2006. Effects of feeding different levels of foliage from Moringa oleifera to creole dairy cows on intake, digestibility, milk production and composition. Livest. Sci. 101:24–31. , , and .
- 2009. Moringa oleifera. Weinheim: 978–3. Available at http://content.schweitzer-nline.de/static/content/catalog/newbooks/978/352/732/9783527321414/9783527321414_TOC_001 (accessed 05 October 2013). , , , and .
- 2006. Functional properties of great northern beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L) protein. J. Food Sci. 46:71–72.
- 1970. Studies on seed fat composition of Moringaceae family. Fette Seifen Anstrichm. 72:6–10. , and .
- 1986. A mechanism for the hypocholesterolemic activity of saponins. Br. J. Nutr. 55:643–649. , and .
- 2008. Pharmacological and other beneficial effects of antinutritional factors in plants. A review. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 7:4713–4721.
- 2012. Quantitative phytochemical profile of the leaves of Cissus populnea Guill. and Perr. (Vitaceae) – an important medicinal plant in central Nigeria. Arch. Appl. Sci. Res. 4:200–206. , and .
- 1958. Automatic recording apparatus for use in the chromatography of amino acids. Anal. Chem. 30:1190–1191. , , and .
- 1979. Tannins and lignins. Pp. 657–682 in G. A. Rosenthal and D. H. Janzen, eds. Herbivores: their interactions with plant metabolites. Academic Press, New York, NY.
- 2008. Effects of blanching and dehydration methods on the quality of Moringa leaf powder used as herbal green tea. [Master's thesis], Kwame Nkrumah University, Ghana. .
- 1988. Phytic acid and calcium affect the in vitro rate of navy bean starch digestion and blood glucose response in humans. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 46:467–473. , , and .
- 2006. Effect of fermentation and germination on the physicochemical properties of mucuna cochinchinensis protein isolate. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 5:896–900. , and .
- 2005. Nutritional and antinutritional characteristics of seven South Indian wild legumes. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 60:69–75. , and .
- 2003. Plant cell wall and food quality. J. Sci. Food Technol. 2:109–110. , , and .
- 1971. A method for phytic acid determination in wheat and wheat fractions. Cereal Chem. 48:312–320. , and .
- 1983. The effect of phytic acid on in vitro rate of starch digestibility and blood glucose response. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 38:835–842. , , and .
- 2008. Chemical composition and functional properties of raw and roasted Nigerian benniseed (Sesamum indicum) and Bambara groundnut (Vigna subterranean). Food Chem. 111:227–282. , , and .