Establishing a case for improved food phenolic analysis
Article first published online: 31 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 1–8, January 2014
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2014; 2(1): 1–8
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 31 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 30 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 AUG 2013
- Agricultural Research Service of the United States Department of Agriculture. Grant Number: 5358-21000-041-00D
- 2012. Flavonoids as antioxidants in plants: location and functional significance. Plant Sci. 196:67–76. , , , and .
- 2012. Hydrolyzable tannin analysis in food. Food Chem. 135:1708–1717.
- 2007. Protective actions of Rubus coreanus ethanol extract on collagenous extracellular matrix in ultraviolet-B irradiation-induced human dermal fibroblasts. Nutr. Res. Pract. 1:279–284. , , , and .
- 2012. Antioxidants in food: mere myth or magic medicine? Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 52:162–171. , , , and .
- 2008. Adam-Harbertson protein precipitation-based wine tannin method found invalid. J. AOAC Int. 91:1090–1094. , , , and .
- 2013. Poor interoperability of the Adams-Harbertson method for analysis of anthocyanins: comparison with AOAC pH differential method. J. AOAC Int. 96:86–90. , , , and .
- 2012. Phenolics compositions of grapes and wines from cultivar Cabernet Sauvignon produced in Chile and their relationship to commercial value. J. Agric. Food Chem. 60:8694–8702. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Polyphenols in foods are more complex than often thought. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 81:223S–229S.
- 2013. Polyphenols and health: moving beyond antioxidants. J. Berry Res. 2:63–71. , and .
- 2010. Characterization of anthocyanins and proanthocyanidins in wild and domesticated Mexican blackberries (Rubus spp.). J. Agric. Food Chem. 58:7458–7464. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Inheritance of phenological, vegetative, and fruit chemistry traits in black raspberry. J. Am. Soc. Hort. Sci. 133:408–417. , , and .
- 2010. Variation of anthocyanins and total phenolics in black raspberry populations. J. Funct. Foods. 2:292–297. , , and .
- 2011. Characterization of a novel anthocyanin profile in wild black raspberry mutants: an opportunity for studying the genetic control of pigment and color. J. Funct. Foods. 3:207–214. , , and .
- 2010. Profiling and accurate quantification of Rubus ellagitannins and ellagic acid conjugates using direct UPLC-Q-TOF HDMS and HPLC-DAD analysis. J. Agric. Food Chem. 58:4602–4616. , , , , and .
- 2011. Nutrition and health claims in the European Union: a regulatory overview. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 22:536–542.
- 2008. Processing and storage effects on monomeric anthocyanins, percent polymeric color, and antioxidant capacity of processed black raspberry products. J. Food Sci. 73:H134–H140. , , , and .
- 2000. Ellagic acid content in berries: influence of domestic processing and storage. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 212:75–80. , , , , and .
- 2003. Measurements of polymeric pigments in grape berry extracts and wine using a protein precipitation assay combined with bisulfite bleaching. Am. J. Enol. Vitic. 54:301–306. , , and .
- 2011. Metabolite fingerprinting of bokbunja (Rubus coreanus Miquel) by UPLC-qTOF-MS. Food Sci. Biotech. 20:567–570. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Anthocyanins in the ripe fruits of Rubus coreanus Miquel and their protective effect on neuronal PC-12 cells. Food Chem. 139:604–610. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Effect of wine dilution on the reliability of tannin analysis by protein precipitation. Am. J. Enol. Vitic. 59:103–105. , , , and .
- 2010. Alaskan wild berry resources and human health under the cloud of climate change. J. Agric. Food Chem. 58:3884–3900. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Sample preparation for plant metabolomics. Phytochem. Anal. 21:4–13. , and .
- 2011a. Antiulcer activity of anthocyanins from Rubus coreanus via association with regulation of the activity of matrix metalloproteinase-2. J. Agric. Food Chem. 59:11786–11793. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011b. Biochemical monitoring of black raspberry (Rubus coreanus Miquel) fruits according to maturation stage by 1H-NMR using multiple solvent systems. Food Res. Int. 44:1977–1987. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Determination of proanthocyanidin A2 content in phenolic polymer isolates by reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatography. J. Chromatogr. A 1216:1403–1409. , , , and .
- 2008. Optimization of the extraction of anthocyanin from bokbunja (Rubus coreanus Miq.) marc produced during traditional wine processing and characterization of the extracts. Bioresource Technol. 99:8325–8330. , and .
- 2011. Health claims on foodstuffs: a focus group study of consumer attitudes. J. Funct. Foods. 3:56–59. , , , and .
- 2012. Willingness-to-pay for a nutraceutical-rich juice blend. J. Sens. Stud. 27:375–383. , , , , , and .
- 2010a. Degradation kinetics of grape skin and seed proanthocyanidins in a model wine system. Food Chem. 123:51–56.
- 2010b. Caffeic acid derivatives in dried Lamiaceae and Echinacea purpurea products. J. Funct. Foods. 2:158–162.
- 2013. Proanthocyanidin A2 purification and levels found in American cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon Ait.) products. J. Funct. Foods. 5:144–153.
- 2007. Anthocyanins and other polyphenolics in American elderberry (Sambucus canadensis) and European elderberry (S. nigra) cultivars. J. Sci. Food Agric. 87:2665–2675. , and .
- 2005. Free amino acid and cysteine sulfoxide composition of 11 garlic (Allium sativum L.) cultivars by gas chromatography with flame ionization and mass selective detection. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:9100–9104. , and .
- 2009. Influence of grapevine leafroll associated viruses (GLRaV-2 and -3) on the fruit composition of Oregon Vitis vinifera L. cv. Pinot noir: phenolics. Food Chem. 112:889–896. , and .
- 2011. Influence of extraction methodology on grape composition values. Food Chem. 126:295–300. , and .
- 2009. Chicoric acid found in basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) leaves. Food Chem. 115:650–656. , and .
- 2010. Chicoric acid levels in commercial basil (Ocimum basilicum) and Echinacea purpurea products. J. Funct. Foods. 2:77–84. , and .
- 2010. Free amino acid profiles from “Pinot noir” grapes are influenced by vine N-status and sample preparation method. Food Chem. 119:484–489. , and .
- 2013. Oregon “Pinot noir” grape anthocyanin enhancement by early leaf removal. Food Chem. 139:893–901. , and .
- 2013. “Cabernet Sauvignon” grape anthocyanin increased by soil conservation practices. Sci. Hortic. 159:128–133. , and .
- 2004. Extraction of anthocyanins and polyphenolics from blueberry processing waste. J. Food Sci. 69:C564–C573. , and .
- 2002. Impact of juice processing on blueberry anthocyanins and polyphenolics: comparison of two pretreatments. J. Food Sci. 67:1660–1667. , , and .
- 2004a. Comparison of anthocyanin pigment and other phenolic compounds of Vaccinium membranaceum and V. ovatum native to the Pacific Northwest of North America. J. Agric. Food Chem. 52:7039–7044. , , and .
- 2004b. Anthocyanin pigment and total phenolic content of three Vaccinium species native to the Pacific Northwest of North America. HortScience 39:959–964. , , and .
- 2005a. Effect of selenium fertilizer on free amino acid composition of broccoli (Brassica oleracea cv. Majestic) determined by gas chromatography with flame ionization and mass selective detection. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:9105–9111. , , and .
- 2005b. Determination of total monomeric anthocyanin pigment content of fruit juices, beverages, natural colorants, and wines by the pH differential method: collaborative study. J. AOAC Int. 88:1269–1278. , , and .
- 2008a. Correlation of two anthocyanin quantification methods: HPLC and spectrophotometric methods. Food Chem. 110:782–786. , , and .
- 2008b. Effect of early seed removal during fermentation on proanthocyanidin extraction in red wine: a commercial production example. Food Chem. 107:1270–1273. , , , , and .
- 2009. Influence of grapevine leafroll associated viruses (GLRaV-2 and -3) on the fruit composition of Oregon Vitis vinifera L. cv. Pinot noir: free amino acids, sugars, and organic acids. Food Chem. 117:99–105. , , , and .
- 2012. Rubus fruit phenolic research: the good, the bad, and the confusing. Food Chem. 130:785–796. , , and .
- 2013. Anthocyanin fingerprinting of true bokbunja (Rubus coreanus Miq.) fruit. J. Funct. Foods. doi:10.1016/j.jff.2013.06.006. , , and .
- 2012. The shikimate pathway and aromatic amino acid biosynthesis in plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 63:73–105. , and .
- 2010. Relationship between red wine grades and phenolics: 1. Tannin and total phenolics concentrations. J. Agric. Food Chem. 58:12313–12319. , , , , and .
- 2013. Irrigation of an established vineyard with winery cleaning agent solution (simulated winery wastewater): vine growth, berry quality, and soil chemistry. Agric. Water Manage. 123:93–102. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Phenol-Explorer: an online comprehensive database on polyphenol contents in foods. Database 2010: Bap024. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Separation strategies for untargeted metabolomics. J. Sep. Sci. 34:3460–3469.
- 2006. Bilberry adulteration using the food dye amaranth. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54:7378–7382. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Anthocyanin fingerprinting for authenticity studies of bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus L.). Food Control 30:662–667. , , , , and .
- 2009. Purified berry anthocyanins but not whole berries normalize lipid parameters in mice fed an obesogenic high fat diet. Mol. Nutr. Food Res. 53:1406–1418. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Influence of postflowering temperature on fruit size and chemical composition of Glen Ample raspberry (Rubus idaeus L.). J. Agric. Food Chem. 58:9120–9128. , , , and .
- 2011. Chemical ecology of tannins and other phenolics: we need a change in approach. Funct. Ecol. 25:325–338. , and .
- 2012. Phenolic composition of basil plants is differentially altered by plant nutrient status and inoculation with mycorrhizal fungi. HortScience 47:660–671. , and .
- 2009. Mass-spectrometry based metabolomics: limitations and recommendations for future progress with particular focus on nutrition research. Metabolomics 5:435–458. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. N, P, and K supply to Pinot noir grapevines: impact on vine nutrient status, growth, physiology, and yield. Am. J. Enol. Vitic. 64:26–38. , , and .
- 2006. Blackberry, black raspberry, blueberry, cranberry, red raspberry, and strawberry extracts inhibit growth and stimulate apoptosis of human cancer cells in vitro. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54:9329–9339. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Effect of drying temperature on alkylamide and cichoric acid concentrations of Echinacea purpurea. J. Agric. Food Chem. 51:1608–1610. , and .
- 2008. Berry temperature and solar radiation alter acylation, proportion, and concentration of anthocyanin in “Merlot” grapes. Am. J. Enol. Vitic. 59:235–247. , , , and .
- 2013. Influence of growth regulators on plant growth, yield, and skin color of specialty potatoes. Am. J. Potato Res. 90:271–283. , , , , and .
- 2012. Polyphenols and health: current state and progress. J. Agric. Food Chem. 60:8773–8775. , and .
- 2013. Oenological tannins: a review. Aust. J. Grape Wine Res. 19:1–10. , , and .
- 2006. Concentration and mean degree of polymerization of Rubus ellagitannins evaluated by optimized acid methanolysis. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54:4469–4475. , , , , , and .
- 2008. A survey of ellagitannin content in raspberry and blackberry cultivars grown in Trentino (Italy). Eur. Food Res. Technol. 226:817–824. , , , and .
- 2012. A versatile targeted metabolomics method for the rapid quantification of multiple classes of phenolics in fruits and beverages. J. Agric. Food Chem. 60:8831–8840. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Metabolomics: applications to food science and nutrition research. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 19:482–493.
- 2005. Tracking color and pigment changes in anthocyanin products. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 16:423–428. , , and .
- 2005. Systematic identification and characterization of anthocyanins by HPLC-ESI-MS/MS in common foods in the United States: fruits and berries. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:2589–2599. , and .
- 2006. Fate of anthocyanins and antioxidant capacity in contents of the gastrointestinal tract of weanling pigs following black raspberry consumption. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54:583–589. , , and .